Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: Website announcements

  • Jessica Maxson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Quoting Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...>:

      > and white is a little better so I can map out the pattern.<<<<
      >
      > Absolutely! I'd only seen one other pair of embroidered cuffs in red
      > on white before this one, so it was a good find. The other pair are
      > here:
      >
      > http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/FasoloFamily.JPG If
      > you go to the website of the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, you
      > can zoom in on the embroidery and get another pattern mapped out.

      Am I the only one who saw both of those cuffs as lace rather than
      embroidery? I'm admittedly not an expert on either craft, but my first
      thought on seeing the first portrait was "Huh. Red lace. Cool."

      I unfortunately had a problem pulling up the Fine Arts Museum of SF
      page, so I haven't been able to magnify the second portrait to look at
      it more closely.

      Curiously,
      --Giuliana
    • Oonagh ONeill
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        If you go to the website of the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, you
        can zoom in on the embroidery and get another pattern mapped out.

        Yep, did that ages ago. It is a wonderful high resolution image.

        cheers

        Deb
        (Oonagh)
        [Pagar le Pompe]

        Oonaghs Own - Venetian Patrician Womens Dress [from the skin out] and
        Accessories of the mid to late sixteenth century
        http://www.geocities.com/oonaghsown
      • Oonagh ONeill
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          > Am I the only one who saw both of those cuffs as lace rather than
          > embroidery? I'm admittedly not an expert on either craft, but my
          first
          > thought on seeing the first portrait was "Huh. Red lace. Cool."

          That is completely understandable. Patterns for lace, both bobbin and
          needle, and embrioderies seemed to be interchangable to some degree.
          As I understand it lace evolved from embriodery.