Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: Website announcements

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Oonagh ONeill <oonaghme@...>
      To: Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, 1 February, 2007 9:34:15 AM
      Subject: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: Website announcements

      http://www.geocities.com/curvess2000/muff_in_sixteenth_century_dress.htm only in black and white. As the bulk of my research is reliant on my university's library, I depend on their wonderful collection of books for my images and information.<<<<

      Yep, I'd seen it in black and white too. It's always better to see them in colour. Uni libraries are great, and it's fantastic that anyone who isn't a student can still view and borrow the books as a community borrower - including interlibrary loan access. Nifty. :-)

      and white is a little better so I can map out the pattern.<<<<

      Absolutely! I'd only seen one other pair of embroidered cuffs in red on white before this one, so it was a good find. The other pair are here:

      http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/FasoloFamily.JPG If you go to the website of the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, you can zoom in on the embroidery and get another pattern mapped out.

      That's what the POTM is all about. :-)

    • Jessica Maxson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Quoting Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...>:

        > and white is a little better so I can map out the pattern.<<<<
        >
        > Absolutely! I'd only seen one other pair of embroidered cuffs in red
        > on white before this one, so it was a good find. The other pair are
        > here:
        >
        > http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/FasoloFamily.JPG If
        > you go to the website of the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, you
        > can zoom in on the embroidery and get another pattern mapped out.

        Am I the only one who saw both of those cuffs as lace rather than
        embroidery? I'm admittedly not an expert on either craft, but my first
        thought on seeing the first portrait was "Huh. Red lace. Cool."

        I unfortunately had a problem pulling up the Fine Arts Museum of SF
        page, so I haven't been able to magnify the second portrait to look at
        it more closely.

        Curiously,
        --Giuliana
      • Oonagh ONeill
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          If you go to the website of the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, you
          can zoom in on the embroidery and get another pattern mapped out.

          Yep, did that ages ago. It is a wonderful high resolution image.

          cheers

          Deb
          (Oonagh)
          [Pagar le Pompe]

          Oonaghs Own - Venetian Patrician Womens Dress [from the skin out] and
          Accessories of the mid to late sixteenth century
          http://www.geocities.com/oonaghsown
        • Oonagh ONeill
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            > Am I the only one who saw both of those cuffs as lace rather than
            > embroidery? I'm admittedly not an expert on either craft, but my
            first
            > thought on seeing the first portrait was "Huh. Red lace. Cool."

            That is completely understandable. Patterns for lace, both bobbin and
            needle, and embrioderies seemed to be interchangable to some degree.
            As I understand it lace evolved from embriodery.