Venetian Accessories

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2002
      Well, my mail is done and I'm offline for a while to
      take more notes and let my girls get at the comp. :)
      But before I go I'll leave you with a question. I'm
      currently working on my accessories pages. Now, as you
      know I focus on Venice, but I'd like to know what
      kinds of beauty/dress accessories you would like to
      see discussed, so I don't overlook any.

      - What's on at your local cinema?
    • gemwow wow
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2002

        Hello, I am in Italy right now and would like to know
        if there is some kind of walking program for fashion
        models and executives in the advertising industry.

        I have been very fortunate to meet some stars from
        Hollywod during my business trip to the U.S and would
        like to meet some fashion models too.

        Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

        Please note, that my signature at the bottom of this
        email has nothing to do with my writing here. So
        PLEASE do not accuse me of spamming.

        Thanks and Regards.
        Ms.Jittrah

        =====
        http://www.kaisilver.com
        Gems, Jewelry, Custom Made Jewelry, Silk, Pearls Ceramics All Factory Direct From Thailand. Even The Smallest Orders Are Welcome.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Denise Robello <drobello@netscape.net>
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2002
          Hi Bella,

          Since you're making the offer, I would love to know more about
          ear-rings. I know you post a great deal of the second half of the 16th
          c., but some sort of information on when earrings became fashionable
          in Venice, which women (class or age group) were wearing them, and
          whether they dangled or were posts/small hoops or whatever. I looked
          into this a loooong time ago, but I was really focused on 1500-1530
          and didn't find too many examples in art during that period.

          Thanks and Happy Holidays,
          Ascelin

          --- In italianrenaissancecostuming@yahoogroups.com, Bella

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2002
            --- "Denise Robello <drobello@...>"
            <drobello@...> wrote:

            Hi Bella,

            Since you're making the offer, I would love to know
            more about ear-rings. I know you post a great deal of
            the second half of the 16thc., but some sort of
            information on when earrings became fashionable in
            Venice, which women (class or age group) were wearing
            them, and whether they dangled or were posts/small
            hoops or whatever. I looked into this a loooong time
            ago, but I was really focused on 1500-1530 and didn't
            find too many examples in art during that period.<<<<<

            Cool! Jewelry is almost top of my list of things to
            included on the accessories pages. I've got pics on my
            site from 1495 on, and I've not seen any earrings at
            all on any of them from the first third of the 16thc,
            come to think of it. Just necklaces and bracelets...I
            think. Might do a bit of comparing with other parts of
            Italy in the same period to see what I come up with.
            Thanks for the suggestion! :)

            - What's on at your local cinema?
          • aubergine_dreams
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 29, 2002
              Not to be mean, but what has that to do with this group? We study
              historical costuming in the Italian City States of Pre-1600 time
              frame. I am sorry but you trying to become a model via announcing
              to THIS group well it is a SPAM. Since it does not fit within our
              perameters of the group at hand.

              I am sorry I don't think any of us can help you with your search.

              P.S. If you are in connect with Hollywood, then you would know hard
              hard it is to break into the Modeling world, especially from
              Hollywood, since Models are more apt to work in New York (more
              agents and agencies there for modeling than in Hollywood)

              Cilean
              (who used to be a grip's assistant for many years.

              --- In italianrenaissancecostuming@yahoogroups.com, gemwow wow

            • THL Catherine de Gray <sister_dark_swan@
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2002
                I'd say ditto on the jewelry aspect, Bella, especially if you can
                get more close-ups on some of the paintings (dunno if thats
                possible). My number one question with garb is always: what jewelry
                am I going to wear with this? Admittedly I am doing more Florentine
                than Venetian, but that won't stop me, heh. I agree on the earrings,
                not a lot of detail. With necklaces/ pendants/ carcanets, you can
                often see that they are *there* being worn in the painting, but you
                don't see the detail and what it really is, what the shapes really
                are, etc. Were certain gems favoured over others? Did they always
                wear gold and never silver? What about rings? What were the
                sumptuary laws?

                My other suggestion would be head-wear. This is always my number two
                question: what am I wearing on my head, or am I just taping up/
                pinning up braids? I generally do earlier period (1480s- early
                1500s) and I see a lot of little hats and headdresses I am curious
                about. Take for instance Carpaccio's "Meeting of the Betrothed",
                there are a few different little caps, one distinct full veil, and
                various hairstyles up and down. I am *really* interested in caps and
                veils. I notice in the later period paintings, however, that there
                seem to be no hats or veils at all, just hair pinned up in "buns".
                Thoughts, ideas, comments on any of these?

                Thanks for all the help and ideas, all,

                HL Catherine de Gray
              • Kimberly Beachem
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2002
                  Hi Bella! As you probably already know, I would love more in depth
                  information on fans. Especially detail pics and any information on
                  construction. Also, info on hair ornaments and those sheer little partlet
                  like things that are so often in portraits though they are sometimes heavier
                  and striped as well. What shapes were they and how were they actually worn
                  and held in place?
                  Can't wait to see the accessories page!
                  Regards,
                  Lucia

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 30, 2002
                    --- "THL Catherine de Gray
                    <sister_dark_swan@...>"
                    <sister_dark_swan@...> wrote:

                    I'd say ditto on the jewelry aspect, Bella, especially
                    if you can get more close-ups on some of the paintings
                    (dunno if thats possible).<<<<<<<

                    I really need a new scanner (old one's not working)
                    and a digital camera. But I'll try my best with the
                    large pics I have at the moment.

                    jewelry am I going to wear with this? Admittedly I am
                    doing more Florentine than Venetian, but that won't
                    stop me, heh.<<<<<

                    Yep, me too. Hence the accessories pages. :)

                    With necklaces/ pendants/ carcanets, you can often see
                    that they are *there* being worn in the painting, but
                    you don't see the detail and what it really is, what
                    the shapes really are, etc. Were certain gems favoured
                    over others? Did they always wear gold and never
                    silver? What about rings? What were the sumptuary
                    laws?<<<<<<<

                    All very good points that I'll do my best to cover.
                    I've got a bit on the sumptuary laws, but otherwise
                    there's not a lot of info out there specific enough,
                    that I've found at least, but I'll try! :)

                    always my number two question: what am I wearing on my
                    head, or am I just taping up/ pinning up braids? I
                    generally do earlier period (1480s- early 1500s) and I
                    see a lot of little hats and headdresses I am curious
                    about.<<<<<<<

                    Yep, I'm actually working on this topic currently.

                    Betrothed" there are a few different little caps, one
                    distinct full veil, and various hairstyles up and
                    down. I am *really* interested in caps and veils. I
                    notice in the later period paintings, however, that
                    there seem to be no hats or veils at all, just hair
                    pinned up in "buns".
                    Thoughts, ideas, comments on any of these?<<<<<<<

                    I get the distinct impression, that the ladies wearing
                    veil or caps in "meeting of the betrothed" were either
                    married or upper servants. The virgins wear their hair
                    mostly down, perhaps with a circlet or ghirlanda. But
                    the lady in the detail from "departure of ceyx" looks
                    older, but is merely wearing braided hair wrapped
                    around her head...
                    <http://au.geocities.com/bella_lucia_da_verona/ceyx1.JPG>

                    As to the later period paintings, yes, most of them
                    feature ladies with braided hair worn up, either
                    simply or elaborately. There are a couple that show
                    veils being worn, not so much to cover the hair, but
                    to frame the hair, face and neck. Some of the
                    provincial Venetian ladies wore balzos or cauls, but
                    both these were worn mainly in the earlier part of the
                    16th century.

                    - What's on at your local cinema?
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 30, 2002
                      --- Kimberly Beachem <lamiastrix@...>
                      wrote:

                      Hi Bella! As you probably already know, I would love
                      more in depth information on fans. Especially detail
                      pics and any information on construction. Also, info
                      on hair ornaments<<<<<<

                      Thanks for the suggestions. All of these are in the
                      works! I shall try my best to get text info, as well
                      as detail shots. :)

                      are so often in portraits though they are sometimes
                      heavier and striped as well. What shapes were they and
                      how were they actually worn and held in place?<<<<<<<

                      Now, that's something I hadn't considered for the
                      accessories pages. I was going to do something on them
                      on the Venus' Seamstress pages, but it may be better
                      after all to add them to the accessories
                      pages...hmmm.....

                      Bella
                      Can't wait to see the accessories page!<BR>
                      Regards,<BR>
                      Lucia<BR>
                      <BR>
                      removed]<BR>
                      <BR>
                      </tt>

                      <tt>
                      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR>
                      italianrenaissancecostuming-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<BR>
                      <BR>
                      </tt>

                      <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                      href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
                      of Service</a>.</tt>

                      - What's on at your local cinema?
                    • Carolle M Cox
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 31, 2002
                        Bella, i have both. Is there a way i can help?

                        > I really need a new scanner (old one's not working)
                        > and a digital camera. But I'll try my best with the
                        > large pics I have at the moment.

                        I have a set of Venetian Sumptuary Laws i found online. Wonder if they're
                        the same as what you have (always an interesting question).

                        > All very good points that I'll do my best to cover.
                        > I've got a bit on the sumptuary laws, but otherwise
                        > there's not a lot of info out there specific enough,
                        > that I've found at least, but I'll try! :)

                        Gerita

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 31, 2002
                          --- Carolle M Cox <hpockets@...> wrote:

                          Bella, i have both. Is there a way i can help?<<<<<

                          Thanks Gerita, but probably not. It's time consuming
                          enough for me to scan to get clear detail - sometimes
                          it takes three or four tries to get the right
                          resolution and then the pics need to be cropped, until
                          I'm quite happy with it. I wouldn't put anyone else
                          through the ordeal. :) The digital camera is just to
                          make it easier and cheaper to upload pics of my
                          garb....and to create my first offering of yet another
                          of those ubiquitous dress diaries! :)

                          online. Wonder if they're the same as what you have
                          (always an interesting question).<<<<<<<<

                          Do you remember where online you found them? If so
                          could you send me the URL and I'll see if we have the
                          same info. :)

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 31, 2002

                            First of all wishing you a safe and prosperous New
                            Year. As a good start to the year, we would like to
                            know if there are any 'Charity' Fashion Shows in your
                            country during March 2003 to May 2003. As one of the
                            leading online suppliers of custom made jewelry and
                            gemstones, we would like to co-sponsor such events. We
                            chose March To May as we are basically based in
                            Thailand and cannot bear severe cold. Please let us
                            have some information so that we can make arrangements
                            from our end.

                            Also, please note that my signature at the bottom of
                            this email has nothing to do with my writing this
                            email so PLEASE do not accuse me of spamming.

                            Thanks and Regards.
                            Ms.Jittrah

                            =====