Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Ideas for new gown

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
      Quoting ladysatinedelacourcel <LadySAtineDeLaCourcel@...>:

      > Okay Ladies,, the white Just breathe gown is from EVER AFTER!!!! ya
      > know the drew barymore cinderalla story set in france with "Italian"
      > Ren style clothing.. I have added to my file Satine's stuff YES!
      > these are the actual pictures for ever afters garb inspiration and
      > to whom and what garb in the movie they belong!

      Thanks!

      > Now if you are looking for shakespear in love late period stuff try
      > Oonaghs own for late italian ren that stuff is absloluely georgous!
      > She is a laurel from Lochac.. I do not have a good link to it
      > anymore I really need to clean out my bad links! ;) I will try to
      > find teh good link and post it at a later time...

      I don't know if I do either. I know that I *did* have it and the URL
      changed ...

      jerusha (the clueless today)
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      University of Tennessee
    • Jessica Maxson
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
        Quoting ladysatinedelacourcel <LadySAtineDeLaCourcel@...>:

        > If you want a Look that is fantasy period and looks fabulous then
        > stick with dangerous beauty,, the garb looks good but is no
        > way "Italian" in the least!

        Well... I wouldn't say that's entirely true. (Of course, bear in mind
        that my area of research is 15th century Florence, not 16th century
        Venice, so take everything with a grain of salt.) The patrician
        women's clothing looks pretty close to authentic, and a lot of the
        men's clothing as well. I think some of the courtesan's clothing is
        sort of close, though certainly not all. If you take a look at
        portraiture of the period, you can compare details to what you see in
        the film and get a better idea of which outfits are closer than others
        in terms of authenticity.

        --Giuliana
      • S. M. Wand
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
          You got the movie wrong, but you got the pattern/s right! Simplicity
          8735 is the "Juliet" Italian Renaissance gown we're probably familiar
          with from too many movies with inaccurate costuming. It's close and
          probably could be adapted to make it more authentic-looking.

          Does anyone here think that S8735 might good as a 'beginner' gamurra,
          after lowering the waist and getting some sort of authentic camisa?
          Did middle-class merchants' wives in Firenze wear the gamurra split at
          any time, with petticoats or overslips over the lower part of the camisa?

          "Shakespeare in Love" is set in the 1590's I think, given the fact
          that Judi Dench was playing 'late' Elizabeth and not 'early'. The
          "SiL" gown that Viola (Gwynneth) wore to her wedding is S8881; in
          fact, the Simplicity costume book (they come out in late summer,
          before Halloween) has a photograph of a model wearing an orange and
          brocade 'knock-off' of Viola's gown. And there's a sketch of an
          all-white wedding gown, but remember that white for weddings is a
          Regency/Victorian conceit.

          All best,
          Miranduviel

          In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com:
          >LOL! Told you I hadn't seen the movie! (either one of them, >actually!)
          >*blush*
          >jerusha
          >

          >>Quoting otsisto <otsisto@...>:
          >>J: Oooh. You know the White Italian Simplicity pattern that's based
          >>on one of the movies (Shakespeare in Love?) I think it's the "just
          >>breathe" dress?
          >>De: Umm... the "just breath dress" is in Everafter with Drew
          >>Barrymore. The Shakespeare in Love pattern is a later period. :)
        • ladysatinedelacourcel
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
            Giuliana,

            I see lots of Italian "ish" mixed with German and English in the
            same gown from different eras but that is what I see.. gowns.. I am
            not a fan of the Dangerous beauty film.. and I am affraid is shows.
            AS well as Early morning not sleeping for 36 hrs cranky does ot help
            either..... I apologize all.. It is a great love story... but as far
            as accuaracy.. Its a mish mosh.. but then again there were a
            multitue of "italian city states" at this time... and if there can
            be turkish coats floating about "italy" over the gowns then I
            gueess....... If one is not planning on entering it in A&S I say go
            for it the gowns billow and look great on just about everyone:)

            my little olde two bits....

            Cheers
            Satine
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
              Oonagh's front page
              http://www.geocities.com/oonaghsown/index2.html

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
                Several have adapted S8735 for Venetian.
                S9531 is easier to adapt for Venetian.
                M5155 w/out sleeves and lower "V" works for a giornea (chioppa?)

                Does anyone here think that S8735 might good as a 'beginner' gamurra,
                after lowering the waist and getting some sort of authentic camisa?
                Did middle-class merchants' wives in Firenze wear the gamurra split at
                any time, with petticoats or overslips over the lower part of the camisa?

                "Shakespeare in Love" is set in the 1590's I think, given the fact
                that Judi Dench was playing 'late' Elizabeth and not 'early'. The
                "SiL" gown that Viola (Gwynneth) wore to her wedding is S8881; in
                fact, the Simplicity costume book (they come out in late summer,
                before Halloween) has a photograph of a model wearing an orange and
                brocade 'knock-off' of Viola's gown. And there's a sketch of an
                all-white wedding gown, but remember that white for weddings is a
                Regency/Victorian conceit.

                All best,
                Miranduviel
              • Cassandra McCraw
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
                  At 04:05 PM 1/4/2007, you wrote:

                  >Several have adapted S8735 for Venetian.
                  >S9531 is easier to adapt for Venetian.
                  >M5155 w/out sleeves and lower "V" works for a giornea (chioppa?)
                  >
                  >De

                  I used McCalls 5155 to make some "emergency" garb for my daughter
                  before Pennsic. She got the opportunity to quit her hated waitress
                  job and sell trim for her stepfather (Drx of Calontir Trim), but only
                  had about two pieces of garb.

                  I was able to whip out two dresses on a Sunday afternoon. Not the
                  most authentic clothing in the world, but an easy pattern to use to
                  make something pleasant looking very fast.

                  I hadn't used a commercial pattern in years - it was a strange
                  experience to use a paper pattern instead of chalk on rectangles.

                  Fionna nic Alisdair
                  (Grimfells, Calontir)
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2007
                    Was working on a cloak and found out that I needed more trim, as par for my
                    luck in this department, CT was out of the trim I needed and they might not
                    get anymore in. :P
                    I am learning that if I don't want to rearrange the trim to order 4 yds more
                    then what I figure on using.
                    Please say hi to Drx for me. Hope you are all doing well.
                    De
                    (Amleth Moor/Amlesmore, Calontir)

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2007
                      They are actually mostly 16th century as things dated say 1550 are
                      considered 16th century
                      Jen's is mostly early 16th century

                      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto"

                      http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/artgallery1.htm

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2007
                        Uh no. the urls I gave were late 15th century or late 1400s not 16th
                        century.

                        <otsisto@...> wrote:
                        > Festive Attyre is Florentine.
                        > Late 15th Century
                        > http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/portfolio.html
                        >
                        > Realm of Venus, late 15th century

                        http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/artgallery1.htm

                        > Where you wanting earlier then that?
                        >
                        > De
                      • Susan B. Farmer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2007

                          Uh, no. If you'll look at the links (I provided the same 2 links) the
                          page on the Festive Attyre site deals with 1475-1500. The specific
                          page on Bella's site specifically deals with 1490-1500.

                          While it's true that *most* of the information on those sites deal
                          with 16th century stuff, those two galleries are most certainly 15th
                          century.

                          jerusha

                          >> Late 15th Century Florentine
                          >> http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/portfolio.html
                          >>
                          >> Realm of Venus, late 15th century Venetian
                          > http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/artgallery1.htm

                          -----
                          Susan Farmer
                          sfarmer@...
                          University of Tennessee
                        • Suzi
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 8, 2007
                            My appologies... rereading my response I can see it did not convey
                            what I was thinking while typing. Entirely my fault. I simply wanted
                            to convey that both sites (not the specific URL's) were mostly 16th
                            Century. I specified the year as in the last couple of weeks I've
                            seen several posts on various boards refer to things that happened in
                            the 1500's as 15th Century. Again, my appologies

                            <otsisto@...> wrote:

                            > Uh no. the urls I gave were late 15th century or late 1400s not 16th
                            > century.
                            > De

                          • Susan B. Farmer
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 8, 2007
                              Quoting Suzi <SWETIEPETI@...>:

                              > My appologies... rereading my response I can see it did not convey
                              > what I was thinking while typing. Entirely my fault. I simply wanted
                              > to convey that both sites (not the specific URL's) were mostly 16th
                              > Century. I specified the year as in the last couple of weeks I've
                              > seen several posts on various boards refer to things that happened in
                              > the 1500's as 15th Century. Again, my appologies

                              Don't feel bad. I understood the Italian "quattrocentro" to mean 14th
                              century for ever! Then I finally saw something that had *dates* with
                              it!

                              jerusha
                              -----
                              Susan Farmer
                              sfarmer@...
                              University of Tennessee
                            • Oonagh ONeill
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 9, 2007
                                Thanks for posting that link. I really should read all posts on the
                                lists. lol

                                I've been busy playing 'bridezilla' over the past week or so. I want
                                all the wedding details sorted out before I head back to uni in a few
                                weeks.

                                We've set the date at 30 June 2007. It will be here in our back yard
                                under our oak tree. And it will be a morning wedding. That is so bub
                                can be there and still get his nap in his own bed after.

                                We are planning a low key affair. We want a nice stress free day
                                with friends.

                                Cheers

                                Deb
                                (Oonagh)
                                [Pagar le Pompe]

                                Oonaghs Own - Venetian Patrician Womens Dress [from the skin out] and
                                Accessories of the
                                mid to late sixteenth century