material widths

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      Greetings Jerusha,

      >> 60 inches wide is 150 cm ...... Normally I use 112 - 110 cm wide fabric
      >> for my gowns. That is the standard width of most fabrics.
      > *wow* Y'all sure got narrow fabric down under! Normal width that I
      > see is generally 60 inches! 112 cm -- that's 44-45" The only things
      > that I see like that are the calico-print quilting fabrics. (in the
      > SE US, calico is small, "mille fleurs" [and I hope I spelled that
      > right!] type cotton prints.)
      > jerusha

      Yep.
      Most 'dress materials' are in 90cm, 112cm or if lucky 120cm widths.
      I often go to the furnishing section where 140cm and 150cm wide is more
      common.
      a lot of affordable silks are 90 or 112cm wide...
      cotton velveteen is about the same width...
      Calico comes in 90 (maybe 120cm), 140cm and 200 (or is it 210)cm widths.
      Wish we had wider ones...
      Kat
      La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
      Innilgard.
      The Purplefiles http://katerina.purplefiles.net

      "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
      as well dance!"

    • Suzi
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        Guess I'm lucky here. Most of the fabric I see including velvets and
        silks is 60 inches wides, some of the silk is 45

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Kat"