Re: Looking for Pics of Sailors

  • caitlin_oduibhir
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
      If you can find them in Italy, you're in luck. I am only aware of some
      images from England. Sailors were not popular inspiration at this
      time, I am told.

      Salvi

      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, comrion

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
        Geetings Don Giulio,

        do you have access to the woodcuts of Cesare Vecellio? Dover has a copy of them out as 'Vecellio's
        Renaissance Costume Book'. If so there are a few plates that may help:

        For Venice:
        132. Scappoli (voluntary soldiers on board galleys)
        133. Galeotti or falila (consript soldiers on board galleys)
        134. Galley slave

        Also...

        275. Eglish sailor

        Unfortunately that's all I can think of right now.

        Bella
        --- comrion <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > I'm trying to help a friend out in getting a 16thC Italian sailors
        > outfit together. I have some wonderful books on the Venetian galleys
        > etc. unfortunately they do not depict any of the actual crews.

        On Yahoo!7
        Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.
        http://www.yahoo7.com.au/answers
      • comrion
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
          Thank You Bella!

          I had forgotten about Vecellio's book! (insert brain lapse!!)

          Milli Grazie!

          Don Giulio
          Guild San Lorenzo

          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Bella

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
            You're welcome. :-)

            Bella

            --- comrion <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > Thank You Bella!

            On Yahoo!7
            360°: Your own space to share what you want with who you want!
            http://www.yahoo7.com.au/360