Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] POTM - June

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
      Thank you, Bella! What a beautiful portrait!

      Laurensa
      Fiant simii!!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
        interesting portrait, I love the clothing, I wish I could move her arm
        though. :D.

        I don't think it looks very much like Eleonora of Toledo, any other
        thoughts.

        aibhilin

        > Thank you, Bella! What a beautiful portrait!
        >
        > Laurensa
        > Fiant simii!!

      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
          I think it doesn't look much like the Bronzino portraits of Eleanora
          in her younger days. My first thought, on viewing this portrait,
          was, "Hasn't Bronzino's way with fresh, flesh-tones."
          But then I remembered that Bronzino's later portrait of Eleanora also
          looks not only rather chalky, but kind of jaundiced or muddy. In it,
          it's hard to believe I'm seeing the same person, except for the pose,
          which doesn't vary. Eleanora, it's believed, suffered from
          tuberculosis; she bore eleven children in fairly quick succession,
          and that does take a toll on one's overall condition if nutritional
          demands can't be satisfied (no, not cravings); her hair looks oddly
          red and kind of dull, the color flat; the redness might be dye, or it
          might be attributable to one of the nutritional deficiencies. And
          regarding those, they never exist in a vaccuum: where there's one,
          there will be others to greater or lesser degrees.
          Not every artist flattered his patron or patronness unduly. Some
          sitters were real sticklers for accurate renderings, no matter how
          unflattering or downright uncomplimentary, apparently having accepted
          the vicissitudes of time and life, or having very scrupulous
          consciences and in whose minds flattery equaled misrepresentation and
          misrepresentation constituted lies.
          I'm not saying this is the case. I'm sort of speculating on the
          physical condition thing, although we know that by the latter part of
          her life, Eleanora had to be in nearly constant discomfort if not
          pain. As to the ethics of the Medici family members, I haven't
          studied them enough to say one way or the other.

          Yseult the Gentle

          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie