Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Just a Question: What made you choose the Italian Renaissance Persona?

  • Allison Stanley
    Message 1 of 30 , May 1, 2006
      I went through several personas and names....I was Alisoun for a while which is French I think, Siobhan...Celtic, Aleksandra....Russian....before I finally settled with Allegranza....Italian Ren just felt right. I love the look, the history and culture. I do have some Italian heritage but that isn't why I chose the period, but could be why it feels so "right" to me.

      Allegranza

      Cilean_69 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      I know I was exposed to the Florentine Gowns by a friend Gianetta. She
      was the one who, because she was new to the SCA, I thought I would do
      some research with and just fell in love with that City States
      Clothing, Now I am getting into some of the Ventian Gowns as well.

      I am not Italian, with my 7 races (that I know of). I don't think
      finding a love of clothing has to do with your racial make-up. If you
      love Native American things, Do you have to be Native? If you are
      coming to the SCA MUST you pick Norse, because you have some in your
      background?? Do you have to be Irish? It is like getting into alternate
      Religions- I have people who tell me because thier families
      are "Celtic" they must be Witches or Pagan (Shudder). When I ask
      which "celtic" they are speaking of? It is always Irish, not Welsh nor
      Cornish or Scots funnily enough.

      So I put it to the group why did you choose City States of Italy?

      Medieval costume Medieval knights

      ---------------------------------

      In Loving Service to Kingdom and Shire,

      Signora Allegranza Maria del Rosso
      MOC, Shire of Beau Fort

      Argent, a dolphin naiant and on a chief wavy vert four hearts argent.

      "Fuel your actions with love, chivalry, courtesy, respect and honesty."

    • Vanessa
      Message 2 of 30 , May 1, 2006
        I wanted to go with the Italian renaissance persona because my great
        grandfather was 100% Italian and I was able to trace his last name
        back to the 1500's. I also wanted to have my person in a trade city
        so that I could use rare materials in sewing with out people telling
        me ..."oh your person could never have had that".

        Isabetta Beccari

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Cilean_69

      • theaphx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , May 1, 2006
          My persona is Florentine. I chose the Italian Renaissance period because of a love of the style of clothes and the fact that my pear-shaped body felt most comfortable and beautiful in them. I have always had an affinity for the art in that period. In 2004, my husband and I followed our personas to Europe (He being a Tudor Era Englishman and me a Florentine.) If I didn't love Florence before then, I would now, as it was everything I expected and more. Although I'm of Greek heritage, I am a Florentine at heart.
          - Dorothea D'Isigny

[...]

        • Desideria di Norcia
          Message 4 of 30 , May 1, 2006
            Actually, it chose me. I'm Italian and extremely proud to say so. Several members of my immediate family are making their living in the field of Art, some in sculpture, some in painting, some teaching art and I have been writing poetry since I was in high school, 150 years ago. With that kind of renaissance within the family, I had no other choice than to assume the persona of a supposed ancestor.

            Dama Desideria Liberati di Norcia

          • Peggy
            Message 5 of 30 , May 1, 2006
              I think I'm one of the few who is not actually in SCA, so I don't
              really have a persona. If I did, I'd find it very hard to choose a
              culture, which is why I'm drawn to the name Beatrix, it's found in
              many cultures.
              I love Italy and have ever since my university choir toured there. My
              husband and I had been dating a short time and Italy is a bit part of
              the 2 of us falling love. I guess I find that same magic in the
              clothing, both working class and "working girl".

              Peggy
            • caitlin_oduibhir
              Message 6 of 30 , May 2, 2006
                This may come out all weird and existential, so bear with me. ;-)

                It was an appreciation for a specific striation of the culture that
                drew me to it.

                My real personality tends to gravitate to the underdogs in the world.
                I see a potential for greater things if only explored and encouraged.
                I am also a stubbornly independant person, who just as you think you
                have me, I vanish into thin air. I am not quite the type to be fully
                pinned down.

                My primary persona is Irish, and socially positioned to both reflect
                my mundane life and my free will nature - she is widowed. The Irish
                have a redoubtable will for independance, and having a good strong
                dose of the Island blood in me, that rebellious urge works. I have
                been researching my family tree for years so I knew the culture well
                already. That was a drop fit.

                Within months though, the peacock in me fluttered his tail and said
                "it is time to go overboard".... :-) Irish costume is very limited
                unless I start dressing like the English, which a woman from Tipperary
                circa 1565 would sooner cut off her own lips than do. I have always
                appreciated the lives of courtesans in many cultures - India, Japan,
                Italy, France - before western culture ruined their worlds. I
                appreciated that they were not chattel like a proper wife would be,
                they had their own words, their own rights to property and education,
                nor merely expected to produce heirs and nothing more. They were
                *expected* to *be* more than brood mares.

                Not being entirely appreciative of the fashion extremes of the French,
                nor having any knowledge of the cultures in Japan or India at the time
                aaaand, I have to admit some influence by a certain movie, I looked
                into Italy. I focussed on Venice, later shifting slightly to combine
                Venice and Verona, with the rare influence from a trip to
                Constaninople very early in my persona's career.

                Originally I was going to do much later because I am a corsetiere,
                thus I wanted to make a really good period one - I even have the stash
                sitting to do it. I found a painting that spoke to me from 1590, and
                have pecked at it since. But it never grabbed me by the throat and
                screamed MAKE ME! like "Bella Nani" did. There is something simply
                sensual to wear an opulent gown that will make the room gasp, yet with
                a flick of a sharp blade, would fall off to the waist. I enjoy
                juxtapositions like that.

                I didn't want to fall into the generic Italren trap though, making
                something half-hearted and incomplete. I go big or go home. After
                years of exploration, flipping endlessly through paintings, drawings,
                sculpture, reading, reading, reading...more reading, more research
                into the strangest of topics, I finally carved my first serious gown
                out of flat fabric. Officially Salvatrice D'Este came out just over a
                year go from the stacks of books and fabric shoved into every corner
                of my house. With more to come- I have another one waiting in the
                wings. :-)

                Salvi
              • Cilean_69
                Message 7 of 30 , May 2, 2006
                  You Wrote
                  > Actually, it chose me. I'm Italian and extremely proud to say so.

                  If you are involved with the SCA, we are not supposed to pick any real
                  or historical person. In fact people are asked not to pick our genetics
                  at all. It is to make a dream, or a fantasy not a reality, so to step
                  out of the supposed box, if you are Italian than why not try Japanese?
                  Or Irish?

                  I am very proud of each of my progenitors, I find them fun and
                  interesting but my choice of persona is not like any of my ancestors,
                  because this is something I want to learn from and so I picked
                  something that felt good for me.

                  It should not be a criteria but a dream to learn that prompts or a love
                  for such to study and make it your own.

                  Cilean
                • Alexandria Doyle
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 2, 2006
                    I've never heard that "people are asked not to pick our genetics at all"
                    which I assume to mean you shouldn't be choosing something from your
                    family's heritage. It's actually one of the factors that is mentioned to
                    our newcomers who are overwhelmed by the idea of picking of persona and
                    wants some direction, (where did your family come from, what do you like to
                    do, what's you're favorite foods, etc) Some people really like to know more
                    about their personal history than they already do, and the SCA gives them
                    a boost or encouragement to go even further back than they might have in the
                    first place.

                    as an aside, I like lots of different eras and cultures for clothing styles,
                    but there is something about the sumptuousness of the clothing of this era
                    that draws me. That's why I play with Italians, and Elizabethans, and
                    Russians and Germans...

                    alexandria

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 2, 2006
                      Original:
                      If you are involved with the SCA, we are not supposed to pick any real or
                      historical person. In fact people are asked not to pick our genetics at all.
                      It is to make a dream, or a fantasy not a reality, so to step out of the
                      supposed box, if you are Italian than why not try Japanese?
                      Or Irish?

                      (snip)

                      It should not be a criteria but a dream to learn that prompts or a love for
                      such to study and make it your own.

                      Cilean

                      Lyse: This is incorrect to a point. True, within the SCA, a person's persona
                      is not allowed to be an actual historical personage (or mythological). i.e.
                      Joan of Arc, Leonardo Da Vinci..Lancelot du Lac..Puck... etc. The ban that
                      you may have confused is that if you have say an ancestor by the name of
                      Isabella Prestigiacomo, you can not be Isabella Prestigiacomo.
                      But a person can select any Country (within reason) within the time frame
                      set down by the Corpora. If you are of Italian heritage and are interested
                      in learning more about "Italy" or actually the Italian City States, they can
                      or if they prefer Norse instead of their heritage, they can.
                      Essence of "the Dream" is the learning and experiencing the history of
                      Europe by doing.
                      If the no heritage were truly applied I would be in trouble as I have
                      French, Germany, Scandinavian, United Kingdom, possible Greek and/ or
                      Italian, possibly Polish, Lithuanian and French Basque. And that would
                      leave me with little choice since SCA focuses on European history and though
                      you have people with Japanese, Mongolian, etc personas. These are not
                      European but SCA folk except them.
                      There's a better way to describe the latter part but I can't seem to the
                      words

                      Medieval costume Medieval knights

                      Service.

                    • Susan B. Farmer
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 2, 2006
                        Quoting Cilean_69 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>:

                        > You Wrote
                        >> Actually, it chose me. I'm Italian and extremely proud to say so.
                        >

                        > If you are involved with the SCA, we are not supposed to pick any real
                        > or historical person. In fact people are asked not to pick our genetics
                        > at all. It is to make a dream, or a fantasy not a reality, so to step
                        > out of the supposed box, if you are Italian than why not try Japanese?
                        > Or Irish?

                        Really. That's the first time that I ever heard that you couldn't "pick
                        your genetics." Yeah, you can't be someone who really lived (or a
                        "famous" fictional person), but everything else is Fair Game!

                        Personally, I have a Scot persona, but wear Italian garb. I like the
                        clothes.

                        Jerusha
                        -----
                        Susan Farmer
                        sfarmer@...
                        University of Tennessee
                      • ladysatinedelacourcel
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 2, 2006
                          Jerusha is right, if we could not choose heritage I would be in
                          trouble, English French, Spanish, German, Polish,and many, many
                          more..... whomever told you that is mistaken.....

                          One can use genetics to make a dream persona....I did it with my
                          English persona....

                          S.
                        • lady_cadhla
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 2, 2006
                            <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > If you are involved with the SCA, we are not supposed to pick any
                            real or historical person. In fact people are asked not to pick our
                            genetics at all. It is to make a dream, or a fantasy not a reality, so
                            to step out of the supposed box, if you are Italian than why not try
                            Japanese? Or Irish?

                            I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, but as a Chatelaine in the
                            SCA, I feel it necessary to reply to this.

                            When I first joined the SCA, I was veeeery interested in my own Irish
                            heritage. That is what prompted me to choose an Irish persona. I
                            wanted to learn more about the people and culture I came from. That
                            was almost 13 years ago. I have "grown up" since then, and have
                            become interested in other cultures, such as Italian, Spanish Moor,
                            and Beduoin. I do study them, and have actually began working on an
                            "alternate persona" of an Italian lady. As for the other cultures, I
                            get to study them and create clothing appropriate to them for my
                            boyfriend, who is a white Spanish Moor...yes, they did exist!

                            Now, speaking as a Chatelaine, when we get a newbie into our group,
                            one of the first things I ask them when helping them create a persona
                            is "What cultures are you interested in?" Sometimes, it's their
                            own...sometimes, it's not. One of the strangest sights I ever saw was
                            a gentlemen who was clearly of Asian heritage wearing a kilt and
                            talking with a Scottish brogue...but he was happy with it. My shire's
                            newest member is Jewish, and is studying to become a nurse, so he
                            chose a persona that is a Jewish physician in the courts of Al'Saladin
                            during the Third Crusade.

                            The point of choosing or creating a persona is to simply step outside
                            of yourself for a little while...but the person you become has to be
                            comfortable for you. I have to wonder who told you that choosing your
                            own genetics was frowned upon, and who told them, and so on and so
                            forth. But, if you have chosen something that you like, then
                            wonderful! Each person and persona is a creation of the imagination,
                            and there is no reason that they can't all play together nicely. Only
                            in the SCA will you see Italians, Germans, Japanese, English, Irish,
                            Scots, Mongols, Beduoins, Norsemen, and even American Indians sitting
                            around a campfire, drinking and enjoying each other's company.

                            Caeleinn
                          • borderlands15213
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 3, 2006
                              --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto"
                              <otsisto@...> wrote:

                              > Original:
                              > If you are involved with the SCA, we are not supposed to pick any
                              real or
                              > historical person. In fact people are asked not to pick our
                              genetics at all.
                              > It is to make a dream, or a fantasy not a reality, so to step out
                              of the
                              > supposed box, if you are Italian than why not try Japanese?
                              > Or Irish?
                              >
                              > (snip)
                              >
                              > It should not be a criteria but a dream to learn that prompts or a
                              love for
                              > such to study and make it your own.
                              >
                              > Cilean
                              >
                              > Lyse: This is incorrect to a point. True, within the SCA, a
                              person's persona
                              > is not allowed to be an actual historical personage (or
                              mythological). i.e.
                              > Joan of Arc, Leonardo Da Vinci..Lancelot du Lac..Puck... etc. The
                              ban that
                              > you may have confused is that if you have say an ancestor by the
                              name of
                              > Isabella Prestigiacomo, you can not be Isabella Prestigiacomo.
                              > But a person can select any Country (within reason) within the time
                              frame
                              > set down by the Corpora. If you are of Italian heritage and are
                              interested
                              > in learning more about "Italy" or actually the Italian City States,
                              they can
                              > or if they prefer Norse instead of their heritage, they can.
                              > Essence of "the Dream" is the learning and experiencing the
                              history of
                              > Europe by doing.
                              > If the no heritage were truly applied I would be in trouble as I
                              have
                              > French, Germany, Scandinavian, United Kingdom, possible Greek and/
                              or
                              > Italian, possibly Polish, Lithuanian and French Basque. And that
                              would
                              > leave me with little choice since SCA focuses on European history
                              and though
                              > you have people with Japanese, Mongolian, etc personas. These are
                              not
                              > European but SCA folk except them.
                              > There's a better way to describe the latter part but I can't seem
                              to the
                              > words

                              Hmm. Asian? Oriental?
                            • Muireall Wallace
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 3, 2006
                                > So I put it to the group why did you choose City
                                > States of Italy?

                                A purely practical answer is a bit boring but true!
                                FACT:
                                I live in Arkansas.
                                It is hot here.
                                Southern Italy is hot.
                                Wool is hot.
                                Linen is cool.
                                England is cold.

                                ergo. Garb from Italy is far more comfortable

                                (and prettier) LOL

                                In Service,

                                Muireall Wallace

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Adele de Maisieres
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 3, 2006
                                  Muireall Wallace wrote:

                                  >>So I put it to the group why did you choose City
                                  >>States of Italy?
                                  >>

                                  >A purely practical answer is a bit boring but true!
                                  >FACT:
                                  >I live in Arkansas.
                                  >It is hot here.
                                  >Southern Italy is hot.
                                  >Wool is hot.

                                  Rubbish. Wool is cooler than cottons or synthetics.

                                  --
                                  Adele de Maisieres

                                  -----------------------------
                                  Habeo metrum - musicamque,
                                  hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
                                  -Georgeus Gershwinus
                                  -----------------------------
                                • Adele de Maisieres
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 3, 2006
                                    Muireall Wallace wrote:

                                    >>So I put it to the group why did you choose City
                                    >>States of Italy?
                                    >>

                                    >A purely practical answer is a bit boring but true!
                                    >FACT:
                                    >I live in Arkansas.
                                    >It is hot here.
                                    >Southern Italy is hot.
                                    >Wool is hot.
                                    >Linen is cool.
                                    >England is cold.
                                    >
                                    >ergo. Garb from Italy is far more comfortable

                                    Wool was used extensively in Italian clothes, AFAIK.

                                    --
                                    Adele de Maisieres

                                    -----------------------------
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 3, 2006
                                      Wool was used extensively in Italian clothes, AFAIK.
                                      Adele de Maisieres

                                      No argument with that. There is less of it, of lighter
                                      weight, less fulled (sometimes), and lighter colors.

                                      It adds up. Several degrees worth.

                                      In Service,

                                      Muireall Wallace

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 3, 2006
                                        Tropical weight wool isn't that hot. :)
                                        A purely practical answer is a bit boring but true!
                                        FACT:
                                        I live in Arkansas.
                                        It is hot here.
                                        Southern Italy is hot.
                                        Wool is hot.
                                        Linen is cool.
                                        England is cold.

                                        ergo. Garb from Italy is far more comfortable

                                        (and prettier) LOL

                                        In Service,

                                        Muireall Wallace

                                      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 4, 2006
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 4, 2006
                                            <otsisto@...> wrote:

                                            > Tropical weight wool isn't that hot. :)

                                            Which you can't find in Arkansas, unless you are willing to pay an arm
                                            and a leg for a special order of it. Trust me, I lived in Little Rock
                                            for 7 years and worked in a fabric store. The only weights of wool
                                            you could get was coat weigh, and suit weight(in ugly colors). Great
                                            for cloaks, not so great for a dress in the humidity of an Arkansas
                                            summer. The only time I ever wore wool was deep in the winter months,
                                            and even then it was a bit much.

                                            Caeleinn
                                          • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 4, 2006
                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 4, 2006
                                                I'm new to this group, but I thought this was as applicable a topic as possible to assist in an introduction. I'm new to the whole 'scene' - SCA, garb, persona, etc, so choosing my 'era' brought several thoughts to the forefront. Firstly, I just LOVE the idea of garb and dressing up...I guess in that aspect I never really grew out of my dress up phase. Being the only female in the house, I don't have any daughters to play dress up with, so I had to go outside to find somewhere to have that fun. As to choosing Italy (specifically Venice, for me), that came for several reasons. I'm a fairly decent seamstress, but realistic enough to know that elaborate Elizabethan costumes are beyond my current capablities, but the Italian (in general) provides a wider (and at times, simpler) range of styles. I'm also an artist, so the whole concept of Italy during the Renaissance is a lure I couldn't resist.

                                                Then, there's the ultimate practicality - I live in Georgia, and most of the weather makes wearing heavy layered clothing for the brave and/or foolish. Italian, to me, just frankly looks cooler! The idea of attending an outdoor event in the middle of July in layer upon layer makes me sweat NOW! :-) I do have to agree with whomever mentioned wearing the right type of wool in the summer. Summer weight wool can actually be cooler in the right circumstances, and a blessing when the nights cool off a bit. Choosing the right fabric is the trick. However, here in the South, finding that fabric at a price that doesn't break the bank can be a challenge. THANK YOU to whomever it was that posted the fabric links for finding the illusive summer weight wool.

                                                I look forward to getting to know you (and possibly stealing...I mean, learning your costuming and garbing secrets.)

                                                Jennifer (until I choose my persona name)

                                              • Susan B. Farmer
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 4, 2006
                                                  Quoting Jennifer McDaniel <jagpmcdaniel@...>:

                                                  > I'm new to this group,

                                                  *snippage*

                                                  > Then, there's the ultimate practicality - I live in Georgia,

                                                  *snippage*

                                                  > I look forward to getting to know you (and possibly stealing...I
                                                  > mean, learning your costuming and garbing secrets.)
                                                  >
                                                  > Jennifer (until I choose my persona name)

                                                  Welcome! Are you in the Meridies part of Georgia, or the Atlantia part
                                                  of Georgia?

                                                  There's some really great Italian web sites out there. "Realm of
                                                  Venice," "A Festive Attyre," and "Rendressbook" are three of my
                                                  favorites.

                                                  http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/
                                                  http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/
                                                  http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rowen/renbk/rendressbook.html

                                                  Jerusha
                                                  -----
                                                  Susan Farmer
                                                  sfarmer@...
                                                  University of Tennessee
                                                • Jennifer McDaniel
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 4, 2006
                                                    I'm in the Atlantia portion, but from what I've gathered so far, this group does a good bit in the Meridies Kingdom was well. As I mentioned, I'm new, so I'm still learning the ins and outs. Thanks so much for the links. I'm familiar with Realm of Venus (my newest obsession site) and Festive Attire, but Rendressbook is a new one for me, so I have something new to drool over!

                                                    Jennifer
                                                    "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...> wrote:
                                                    Quoting Jennifer McDaniel <jagpmcdaniel@...>:

                                                    > I'm new to this group,

                                                    *snippage*

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , May 4, 2006
                                                      Dianne & Greg Stucki wrote:

                                                      > Right now I have
                                                      >eight-plus yards of 60" ivory wool that I'm going to turn into a Bethan,

                                                      Oh, bad choice, totally unsuitable... I suggest you send it along to me
                                                      so that I can dispose of it in a safe manner :-)

                                                      --
                                                      Adele de Maisieres

                                                      -----------------------------
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , May 11, 2006
                                                        And we are suffering under it right now. Thunderstorms
                                                        at night and 90+ degree days creates a natural sauna.
                                                        i wish that was it. Our local morning paper regularly
                                                        reports pollen and (now since west nile) mosquito
                                                        forcasts. August is going to be horrid this year. It
                                                        never got cold enought to freeze hard so the
                                                        mosquito's will be thick.
                                                        Glad your gone, Caeleinn?

                                                        > Which you can't find in Arkansas, unless you are
                                                        > willing to pay an arm
                                                        > and a leg for a special order of it. Trust me, I
                                                        > lived in Little Rock
                                                        > for 7 years and worked in a fabric store. The only
                                                        > weights of wool
                                                        > you could get was coat weigh, and suit weight(in
                                                        > ugly colors). Great
                                                        > for cloaks, not so great for a dress in the humidity
                                                        > of an Arkansas
                                                        > summer. The only time I ever wore wool was deep in
                                                        > the winter months,
                                                        > and even then it was a bit much.
                                                        >
                                                        > Caeleinn

                                                        In Service,

                                                        Muireall Wallace

                                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                      • sbazizi@aol.com
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , May 12, 2006
                                                          I can't recall if I already responded to this or not (be patient with
                                                          me I'm getting old) anyway, Fashion fabrics.com has some light weight
                                                          wool and soem fo it is on sale. The tropical weight is realy light. I
                                                          have had good service from them and get my fabric within two weeks.

                                                          Betsabea da Venizia

                                                          And we are suffering under it right now. Thunderstorms
                                                          at night and 90+ degree days creates a natural sauna.
                                                          i wish that was it. Our local morning paper regularly
                                                          reports pollen and (now since west nile) mosquito
                                                          forcasts. August is going to be horrid this year. It
                                                          never got cold enought to freeze hard so the
                                                          mosquito's will be thick.
                                                          Glad your gone, Caeleinn?

                                                          > Which you can't find in Arkansas, unless you are
                                                          > willing to pay an arm
                                                          > and a leg for a special order of it. Trust me, I
                                                          > lived in Little Rock
                                                          > for 7 years and worked in a fabric store. The only
                                                          > weights of wool
                                                          > you could get was coat weigh, and suit weight(in
                                                          > ugly colors). Great
                                                          > for cloaks, not so great for a dress in the humidity
                                                          > of an Arkansas
                                                          > summer. The only time I ever wore wool was deep in
                                                          > the winter months,
                                                          > and even then it was a bit much.
                                                          >
                                                          > Caeleinn

                                                          In Service,