Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] New fabric

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11, 2006
      Quoting Diane <diane19128@...>:

      > Someone has given me an almost 4 yard piece/remnant of a heavy
      > (upholstery weight) 60" cotton sateen brocade in a brick red/burnt
      > orange color (yeah, I can't seem to get away from that color!), with a
      > wreath, urn, & chrysanthemum pattern. I'm considering making
      > something with this, but would really appreciate some input from
      > members of the group on the fabric. Can I use this for Italian Ren,
      > or would it better suit some other period. I've put up pics in
      > Diane's WIP's file in the photo section. Hope the pics show enough of
      > the detail. Thanks for any help, opinions you can give—you people are
      > great on this group!

      Oh, that's just dreadful. I think that you should get rid of that
      immediately. I'll be more than happy to save you from that awful
      fabric by taking it off your hands! :-D Really. It'll be my
      pleasure. :-D

      that really is nice fabric. :-)

      Jerusha (who is envious this morning!)
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      University of Tennessee
    • Cilean_69
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11, 2006
        Diane,

        4 yards is plenty to make a nice Italian. I am 5 10 I used 3 yards to
        make a lovely gown in the 1480's style. But I could see a lovely
        Venitian perhaps open skirted? With another lovely skirt underneath?

        Cilean
      • Adele de Maisieres
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2006
          Cilean_69 wrote:

          >Diane,
          >
          >4 yards is plenty to make a nice Italian. I am 5 10 I used 3 yards to
          >make a lovely gown in the 1480's style. But I could see a lovely
          >Venitian perhaps open skirted? With another lovely skirt underneath?

          I'm 5'5" and on the stout side. I can definitely get a 1530s Venetian
          or Florentine with poufy sleeves out of 4 yard of 60" wide.

          --
          Adele de Maisieres

          -----------------------------
          Habeo metrum - musicamque,
          hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
          -Georgeus Gershwinus
          -----------------------------
        • Diane
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 12, 2006
            --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Adele de
            Maisieres <ladyadele@...> wrote:

            > Cilean_69 wrote:
            >
            > >Diane,
            > >4 yards is plenty to make a nice Italian. I am 5 10 I used 3
            yards to
            > >make a lovely gown in the 1480's style. But I could see a lovely
            > >Venitian perhaps open skirted? With another lovely skirt
            underneath?

            > I'm 5'5" and on the stout side. I can definitely get a 1530s
            Venetian
            > or Florentine with poufy sleeves out of 4 yard of 60" wide.

            And I'm only 5' (but on the stout side as well) so imagine the
            mileage I can get from it if I very carefully lay it out. Along the
            length of that 4th yard is a long bias/diagonal cut, but I can cut
            the bodice and possibly sleeves there; I was never worried about the
            yardage :~) Thanks to everyone who replied, I kind of thought it
            would work Italian (although my first look at it saw Regency as I
            believe Lyse mentioned earlier), so I'm willing to squeeze it into
            my overflowing cue (sorry, Susan!) and give it a shot, maybe
            Venetian? And now, back to sewing so that maybe I'll have something
            other than pics of fabrics (not that there's anything wrong with
            that!) to post soon . . . .

            Diane