?? for Salvi

  • lady_cadhla
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
      Salvi, I was looking at the red dress you did that was featured on
      Bella's Italian Showcase, particularly at the boning diagram pic.
      From what I can see, you did a herringbone stitch or something like
      that over each bone to attach it to the canvas. Am I correct? Also,
      how many layers of fabric does your bodice have? I've started working
      on mine, and was contemplating two layers of canvas to hold the
      boning, one layer of lining, and my outer layer...and that just seems
      to be toooo much fabric.

      I also like your idea of using the pony beads between the pleats, as I
      too am going to have to stretch every inch of fabric. Have they held
      up pretty well?

      Thank you for answering my questions.

      Kayley
    • caitlin_oduibhir
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
        HI Kayley,

        Cool name, that is what I named my daughter. :-)

        Yes, I did herringbone my stiffening into the foundation layer. I was able to make
        adjustments on their position and length without having to tear layer of fabric apart, and it
        further stabilises them in the channels so they are less likely to push up or down and poke
        through the fabric. One did indeed do that, but it was the centre front rigid pair and they
        proved to be about a quarter inch too long. I just had to snip that bit off and push it back
        down. All the others have not had a problem.

        I have a total of three layers in the dress: the foundation layer of hemp canvas, the lining
        layer of linen, then the fashion outer layer. I have placed the bones so the canvas is
        outermost, giving an extra layer of invisibility to them. The photo you saw showed the
        foundation layer inside out so the layout could be seen. Id' only recommend that many
        layers of fabric only if you are holding up an exceptional amount of weight or intend on
        using this dress as work wear. Typically dresses of this magnitude are used gently thus
        don't really need to be padded gambesons. ;-)

        The pony beads are holding up perfectly. Every pleat is still plump and perfectly sized,
        none of the beads have broken... I would suggest this method would be pretty good for
        very thin fabric as well, giving it artificial thickness. I have 14 or so yards of burgundy/
        hunter green shot crepe cotton I have not decided what to do with - I might just try this
        idea on that and see what I can pull off. MIght make a nice summer camp dress. Only
        down side to them: I suspect they are holding the pleats so well that the pleats are not
        flattening on the inside they way most normally would, thus tend to ride against my waist
        all day long. I get used to it, but for the first while it's annoying.

        Salvi

        <snip>