Re: Italian Corset

  • jubileel_insaneone
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 13, 2006
      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Cilean_69
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Looking at the picture you provided, it looks like a fringed shawl this
      > woman has about her, It is not laced at all but fringed and you can
      > clearly see the fringe in the "V" at the end at the back. You can
      > further see how it wraps about her to the front.
      >
      > So I would not call this a corset, But more a wrapped shawl.
      >

      > Cilean

      Hi again,

      Perhaps "newbie" was the wrong word. I should have said new to the
      group, not to garb. I've been designing my own garb for over a
      decade now.

      As for the shawl...if it is, even that would be interesting since I
      haven't seen fringed shawls from this period. Actually, I don't think
      I've seen fringed shawls prior to the late 1700's! I know they became
      extremely popular in the early 1800's but the only shawls I've seen
      prior to the 1600's have been either sheer silk, fur stoles, or linen
      shawls...all without fringe. Has anyone seen a "fringed shawl" prior
      to the 18th c?

      I was thinking that the corset/shawl pink thing could be a corset
      based on another painting that shows a skirt tied on to the
      bodice/corset and very thin ribbon like straps (that you can barely
      see)
      http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/VenetianLady1570.jpg

      Could the "fringe" actually be ties or a trim to hide ties? Just
      throwing out some more ideas on this interesting piece.

      Also, someone pointed out that this is all art. I've heard that many
      time before but even art is based on reality. The most abstract of
      our time contains objects that we know and understand...just a new way
      of examining them. :-)
    • Peggy
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 22, 2006
        > I do fixed cuffs on men's shirts mostly because the guys I've sewn
        for
        > specify they want them that way, but for myself I've even used
        > *ducking and running for cover* elastic for self-gathers--which I no
        > longer use, I hastily add :~)
        >
        > Diane

        If you didn't tell, chances are no one would know.
        Peggy (who uses elastic for button loops and has at least 2 gowns with
        snaps, please don't tell)