need some opions

  • Kemma
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
      I uploaded 2 more pics to my KEMMA folder in the photos section
      See the praying lady, I want to make that gown.
      the fabric swatch also in the folder is what I was considering as a
      close match for it.

      What do you think? 1 or 2 yards for a bodice? The skirt to me seems
      to be of a velvet type material and I was thinking burgandy.

      -Kemma
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
        I have been wanting to do this one for a while. Of later, time and health
        have not been on my side.
        My take on the outfit is the it isn't a skirt but a "jumper" I think that
        there is a bodice attached for bust support and the bodice you see is like a
        fitted jacket. At least this is one take on this gown.
        The material appears to me to be more mid to late 1600s or further though I
        am not the final word on this.

        I uploaded 2 more pics to my KEMMA folder in the photos section
        See the praying lady, I want to make that gown.
        the fabric swatch also in the folder is what I was considering as a
        close match for it.

        What do you think? 1 or 2 yards for a bodice? The skirt to me seems
        to be of a velvet type material and I was thinking burgandy.

        -Kemma
      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
          Quoting otsisto <otsisto@...>:

          > I have been wanting to do this one for a while. Of later, time and health
          > have not been on my side.
          > My take on the outfit is the it isn't a skirt but a "jumper" I think that
          > there is a bodice attached for bust support and the bodice you see is like a
          > fitted jacket. At least this is one take on this gown.
          > The material appears to me to be more mid to late 1600s or further though I
          > am not the final word on this.

          It's actually from 1505.

          http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/c/carpacci/2/06holyfa.html

          Jerusha
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
            To clarify, Kemma's material looks to be more mid - late 1600s, not the
            painting. :)

            Lyse

              > To clarify, Kemma's material looks to be more mid - late 1600s, not the
              > painting. :)

              Gotcha. Dating *fabric* is something that I haven't learned how to do
              yet!

              Jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • Kemma
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
                Thanks for the opinions! Do you guys have any suggestions for
                fabric for it then? Do you think I could then make it like a
                regular italian dress (see my other pic of the one I just made) in
                red velvet and then make a jacket to go over it of whatever kind of
                brocade that is? (with detachable sleeves of course)
                Kemma

                --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto"

              • theaphx@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
                  I'm usually a lurker but wanted to throw in my opinion on this dress. I agree that the burgundy skirt does appear to be a type of jumper or apron (skirt with attached straps). I have a couple pictures of dresses where the neckline is so low it looks like a wide waistband and I think that is what this is. But when I look closely at the hem it appears the "print" dress is a full dress with front closing bodice and matching sleeves rather than an bodice attached to the skirt. The advantage to making it this way is that you can wear the pieces in a variety of ways also.

                  I look forward to seeing how you interprete this dress.
                  -Dorothea

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 13, 2005
                    New to me painting
                    Bastianino,
                    Ritratto di AlfonsoI d'Este,c.1563
                    http://www.comune.fe.it/diamanti/mostra_lucrezia/quadri/q13.htm
                  • Catherine Rogers-Cook
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 13, 2005
                      Very interesting! Seems a little old fashioned for 1563 - he must have been conservative. The colors are amazing! Thanks

                      Katharine of Cate Hall

                      otsisto <otsisto@...> wrote:
                      New to me painting
                      Bastianino,
                      Ritratto di AlfonsoI d'Este,c.1563
                      http://www.comune.fe.it/diamanti/mostra_lucrezia/quadri/q13.htm

                      Society for creative anachronism Medieval costume Medieval knights

                    • borderlands15213
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
                        WOW!
                        Absolutely gorgeous.
                        I'm SO-O-O borrowing that style, colors combo and embellishment and
                        making female equivalent gown and overgown!

                        New to me, too, by the way.
                        Mille grazie!

                        Yseult the Gentle

                        <otsisto@s...> wrote:

                        > New to me painting
                        > Bastianino,
                        > Ritratto di AlfonsoI d'Este,c.1563
                        > http://www.comune.fe.it/diamanti/mostra_lucrezia/quadri/q13.htm

                      • comrion
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
                          You can find that one, and many others in the book entitled:

                          "Abbigliamento e costume nella pittura italiana. [Introd., testi
                          didascalici e annotazioni alle tavole di Ferruccia Cappi
                          Bentivegna] Published Roma, C. Bestetti [1962-64]",

                          which can be found at most Colleges or Universities. Great two
                          volume set with book one dealing with medieval to renaissance the
                          second from 17 to early 20thC I believe, and just filled with
                          pictures. Unfortunately they are all in B&W and this pic is so much
                          better in color! :) thanks!

                          Don Giulio de Medici
                          Cavaliere Gran Croce Dell'Ordine de Santo Stefano
                          Guild San Lorenzo(rpfs)

                          --- In
                          Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
                            He'd have to be ultra conservative as, he(Alfonso I) was already
                            dead in 1534 :)

                            I think the portrait was done in 1563 for his son Alfonso II who
                            lived till 1593 or 94.

                            --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Catherine
                            Rogers-Cook <Catherine@C...> wrote:

                            > Very interesting! Seems a little old fashioned for 1563 - he must
                            have been conservative. The colors are amazing! Thanks

                            > Katharine of Cate Hall

                          • Catherine Rogers-Cook
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
                              The Abbigliamento e costume books cover il Renacimento and il Baroco, unless they have been upadted from my college days...long, long ago! Great books!

                              Katharine of Cate Hall

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 15, 2005
                                Your correct the renaissance and baroque it's just been a while since
                                I've had access to them beyond the photocopies of book one that I
                                did :)