RE: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Digest Number 769

  • Satine De La Courcel
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2005
      Yesult pretty much said it all!

      I would add one thing, For me personally I do not like to wait til the last
      minute ( 2 weeks before an event to decide I need a new dress... For me
      murphys law comes into effect her and if it can go wrong it will go wrong!
      And a slopy job shows no matter how skilled you are!

      Especially if you are just starting out sewing garb give yourself plenty of
      time to complete the gown to your satifaction! as well as as much research
      as you can absorb about your persona in that garment I must admit that is an
      ongoing process!)

      Satine

      Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
      e-mail and attachments.
      first two months FREE*.
    • borderlands15213
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2005
        Satine, I'm so glad you made this point; it's an important one
        because it influences the end result: not enough time available to
        really get to know the subject and/or not enough time to do it full
        justice in the producing of the clothing. Or, even without a
        deadline, just plain wanting the gown now-*now*-NOW!

        And even for those of us who've been doing historical clothing for a
        decade or two or three, the temptation to give in to the eagerness to
        see the finished outfit can be very strong, and we want to
        hurryhurryhurry. Many of us have learned from experience, sometimes
        hard experience, to control our impetuosity.
        That's why, I believe, you'll so often read in dress diaries, "Gosh,
        so-o-o tired and as much as I *really, really* want to see how these
        cutwork sleeves [or equivalent] are going to work out, can't afford
        to make a mistake at this point, have to be able to function at work
        tomorrow, so it's off to bed for me. Good night." The next entry
        may be dated a week later and read along these lines: "Well, life
        has conspired once again to prevent this gown being ready in time for
        Twelfth Night's masqued ball <big sigh> so I guess it'll get its
        debut at TRM's birthday celebration, instead. Well, maybe in the
        extra few weeks I'll find the perfect beads to augment the girdle...."
        Another thing you'll read in such diaries is, "After two years of
        searching, I *FINALLY* found the perfect beads to use as the buttons
        on the paned sleeves," or, "...upholstery brocade for the Cranach
        gown [yes, I know: that's a German Ren style and this is an Italian
        Ren list, but read on:]; it was 'way over my budget, but it's
        beautiful and looks exactly right and I only needed two yards to make
        the wide brocade bands on the skirt and the narrower ones on the
        sleeves..."
        They take good time!

        Yseult the Gentle

        --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Satine De La
        Courcel" <LadySAtineDeLaCourcel@h...> wrote:
        > Yesult pretty much said it all!
        >

        > I would add one thing, For me personally I do not like to wait til
        the last
        > minute ( 2 weeks before an event to decide I need a new dress...
        For me
        > murphys law comes into effect her and if it can go wrong it will go
        wrong!
        > And a slopy job shows no matter how skilled you are!
        >
        > Especially if you are just starting out sewing garb give yourself
        plenty of
        > time to complete the gown to your satifaction! as well as as much
        research
        > as you can absorb about your persona in that garment I must admit
        that is an
        > ongoing process!)
        >
        > Satine

        > Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and
        outbound
        > e-mail and attachments.
        > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-
        ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Mar