Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Digest Number 752

  • Heather Rigaud
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2005
      Gwen,

      While I agree with what's been said about the ribbons not needing to
      match, if this is something you want, you might want to look at
      Britex for the right color. They have an amazing selection of ribbon,
      both polyester and silk satin, as well as velvet, and they are also
      really great about doing things through the mail, like matching
      swatches.

      http://www.britexfabrics.com/

      Catalina Doro
      (No, I don't work there, I just spend WAY too much money there <g>)

      On Aug 25, 2005, at 3:34 PM,
      Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 6
      > Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:46:30 -0000
      > From: "Gwen" <undiecat@...>
      > Subject: Sleeve ties
      >
      > I'm making another pair of sleeves to go with my 1505ish Florentine
      > gown and I'm having trouble with the sleeve ties. I'm planning to make
      > a pair of the fitted slashed sleeves to go with the dress but I can't
      > seem to find any ribbon that will match the sleeve material. I've got
      > some white cotton twill tape that I could try to dye to match, but
      > that
      > seems like a huge hassle and I don't have any dyeing experience.
      > Here's
      > a picture of the type of sleeve I'm going for
      >
      > http://www.chateauwhite.com/jenny/dressup/2004/040828_27w112.jpg
      >
      > Would a different color of ribbon have been used or am I going to have
      > to dye things. I'd appreciate any advice you can give!
      >
      > Gwen

    • Gwen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2005
        Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately the event I want the dress
        for is a week from Sunday so I doubt there will be time for me to do
        the mail-order thing, but I'll bookmark the site. I figure I'll try
        dyeing some of the twill tape and see if I get a decent color. If I
        don't I'll either go with black or white ties. White will (in theory)
        blend in with my camicia and black will match the velvet trim on the
        gamurra, so it's all good.

        Gwen

        --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rigaud

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26, 2005
          Recommend that you not use satin or slick ribbon for ties as they are a pain
          to keep tied. Perhaps grosgrain.
          Beautiful dress. Good luck with the ribbon.

          Lyse

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27, 2005
            that makes life even easier as I already have plenty of grosgrain
            ribbon! Hooray!

            Gwen

            --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto"