Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Cross-post: Stiffened ribbon circlets

  • Vicki
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      I am in Northshield and have confirmed that I can't wear a metal
      circlet without an AoA. If you are on the SCA Garb list there was
      quite a discussion recently about where you can and can't wear a
      circlet. Also if you don't know what kingdom you are in, you might try
      looking at the SCA website and then you can contact the local officers
      or local group's website for info on local rules.

      I have since heard of a couple options I may play with, including
      covering a wire with ribbon, stiffening w/ modgepodge or even belting
      covered w/ fabric. I am open to other sugestions though if people have
      them!

      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Crystal James
      <ministra_crystal@y...> wrote:
      > What Kingdom do you live in. I know the Outlands will not allow you
      to wear a metal circlet but you can in the West? (or so I have been
      told). I am newly arrived on the Mundane East Coast and not really
      for sure which kingdom I am in now or what the sumptuary laws are
      here.

      > Ministra
      > A Very Lost Soul

    • vdriscoll
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        Where are you located? I'm in Richmond, VA. SO... I'm in the Kingdom
        of Atlantia, Barony of Caer Mear.

        Altantia doesn't have a sumptuary law as far as I know (about the
        circlets).

        -Simona

        <ministra_crystal@y...> wrote:
        > What Kingdom do you live in. I know the Outlands will not allow you
        to wear a metal circlet but you can in the West? (or so I have been
        told). I am newly arrived on the Mundane East Coast and not really
        for sure which kingdom I am in now or what the sumptuary laws are here.

        > Ministra
        > A Very Lost Soul
      • Mary Taran
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          bead strands?

          Mary

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
            If you have a early 1500s "German" you can wear garland/head wreath or
            flowers or bead flowers.

            Lyse

            >I am in Northshield and have confirmed that I can't wear a metal
            >circlet without an AoA. If you are on the SCA Garb list there was
            >quite a discussion recently about where you can and can't wear a
            >circlet. Also if you don't know what kingdom you are in, you might try
            >looking at the SCA website and then you can contact the local officers
            >or local group's website for info on local rules.
            >
            >I have since heard of a couple options I may play with, including
            >covering a wire with ribbon, stiffening w/ modgepodge or even belting
            >covered w/ fabric. I am open to other sugestions though if people have
            >them!
          • Dianne and Greg
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
              > I have since heard of a couple options I may play with, including
              > covering a wire with ribbon, stiffening w/ modgepodge or even belting
              > covered w/ fabric. I am open to other sugestions though if people have
              > them!

              http://www.virtue.to has instructions on making a silk-wrapped wire circlet
              that might be worth checking out.

              Laurensa
            • Diana Habra
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
                Just got my copy in the mail today and I only have 3 words to say:

                OH MY GOD!!!!

                What a fabulous book and very much worth the almost $100 that I paid for
                it. So many big, glossy pictures that I had never seen before and the
                best part is that it is written in italian AND english! They have extant
                garments and they explain what you are seeing. They also have several
                comparison grids that show sleeve treatments, neck treatments, etc. for
                each decade.

                This is the coolest book that I have bought in a long time and I heartily
                thank the lady that told me about its existance!

                Woo Hoooooo!

                Diana (who is doing the happy dance inside)

                www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
                "Everything for the Costumer"
              • vdriscoll
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Refresh my memory please...

                  What is the name of the author, the ISBN, etc of this book (to help in
                  locating my own copy).

                  Thanks,
                  Simona

                  --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Diana Habra"

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Sorry, Answered that myself... :)

                    Bruna Niccoli / Roberta Orsi Landini

                    Moda a Firenze 1540-1580
                    Lo stile di Eleonora di Toledo e la sua influenza

                    © Firenze: Pagliai Polistampa, 2005, 32cm., cloth, 252pp., ca. 120
                    plates, most in color, € 58,00, ISBN: 8883048679.

                    Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, I can't wait to whine
                    to Dante until he buys it for me ;)

                    <dch@i...> wrote:
                    > Just got my copy in the mail today and I only have 3 words to say:
                    >
                    > OH MY GOD!!!!
                    >
                    > What a fabulous book and very much worth the almost $100 that I paid for
                    > it. So many big, glossy pictures that I had never seen before and the
                    > best part is that it is written in italian AND english! They have
                    extant
                    > garments and they explain what you are seeing. They also have several
                    > comparison grids that show sleeve treatments, neck treatments, etc. for
                    > each decade.
                    >
                    > This is the coolest book that I have bought in a long time and I
                    heartily
                    > thank the lady that told me about its existance!
                    >
                    > Woo Hoooooo!
                    >
                    > Diana (who is doing the happy dance inside)
                    >
                    > www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
                    > "Everything for the Costumer"
                  • dsmalloryfield
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 4, 2005
                      The book can be obtained online from Michael Shamansky, Bookseller Inc.
                      The item number is 45409, cost $95.00 US with no shipping charges.
                      The web address is www.artbooks.com. I warn everyone in advance, this
                      is a really good source for hard to find European art books--but they
                      can run to the hundreds and thousands of dollars each and most are in
                      foreign language with no English translations.

                      Donna
                    • Crystal James
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 27, 2005
                        Sorry that this has taken me so long to reply to, I lost my email there for awhile...

                        I am living in New Bern, NC not sure what Kingdom. Found a name for a contact but lost it when my computer went down. So now will have to go back and find it again. I am originally from the Outlands, shire of Rio de las Animas (Lost Souls).

                        Ministra
                        A Very Lost Soul

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 28, 2005
                          You are in the Kingdom of Atlantia.