Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] What should I do to prepare silk for sewing?

  • Carolle M Cox
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      YMMV, ok? I live in Texas, where Everything get pre-washed. There are
      several reasons for this: to get rid of chemicals added by the mill, to
      kill off yet another million bugs' eggs since we have our own bugs here, to
      make sure the fabric can withstand events in our punishing climate, etc. I
      prewash everything. Every last thing. Including trims and whatnot. So
      far, i have yet to lose one item by doing this. Yes, they do shrink. And
      indeed they may even change color slightly. But then it's done. When
      sewing the fabric, i know that the garment will not shrink, bleed, or
      otherwise behave badly.

      Good luck!

      Gerita
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
        Thank you Gerita and Brenda,

        I used Brenda's waterstain test, and after it was negative, treated the silk just like any old piece of cotton, and thankfully it was no worse for ware afte comming out of the dryer (well a bit smaller but I expected that). Now I just need to draft a pattern for my sleeves and have at it, combining the luscious velvet and silk into one unit.

        YIS,
        Nastasia Caterina di Rosati
        Shire of Alderford
        Middle Kingdom