Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Arnold's Eleanor of Toledo - undergarments

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2002
      --- n2kye <webwarren@...> wrote:

      Based on the shapes in the Milanese Tailor's Handbook,
      I'd say that the skirt was probably gored (cut in
      shaped, tapered panels)<<<<

      It was indeed pieced to create the widths needed. But
      the back of the skirt was made up of only two 22"
      panels with the addition of small triangular gores (or
      gussets) at the lower side, and likewise the front of
      the skirt was made up of two 22" panels, but this time
      the gores were full length from the waist down. It
      still does not make for a very large hemline...

      that flared shape on its own (it probably *was* of
      that heavy a fabric!), it might have been mounted on a
      stiffer fabric in order to render it so (a standard
      practice in mid 20th-Century couturier tailoring, no
      idea how much it was used Periodly).<<<<<<

      It was made of white satin, no idea how heavy this
      was. There is no indication from Ms Arnold whether the
      skirt was lined, but considering the mention of other
      things that were lined I'd say this points to a lack
      of it.

      Bella

      http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
      - Always be connected to your Messenger Friends