1540's Florentine of an Unknown Noblewoman Pictures

  • Cilean_69
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2005
      Hi All

      In the photos section I have the pictures of my almost completed
      florentine gown, I am still working on the partlet and I hope it will
      be done pretty soon!

      I would love any comments back on it!

      Cilean
    • Diana Habra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2005
        > In the photos section I have the pictures of my almost completed
        > florentine gown, I am still working on the partlet and I hope it will
        > be done pretty soon!
        >
        > I would love any comments back on it!

        Cilean,

        I took a look at your dress and overall it looks very nice. The fabric
        was quite a find...cotton with such a nice print on it!

        For next time I would recommend a couple of things....

        -Better fitting through the bodice. In the painting, the bodice appears
        very fitted and/or stiff with no wrinkling. The bodice of your purple
        dress looks like it isn't giving you much support. If you use a good,
        stiff lining (my favorite is hair canvas which is used in men's suits),
        you will have better support and no wrinkling.

        -For the sleeves, try using a fitted sleeve base and then build your
        sleeve elements on top of the sleeve base. That way, when you do the
        fancy pouf at the top, it won't slide down your arm and flatten out. It
        will stay put! And you can use bits of scrap chemise to stuff into the
        pouf and slashes to give the appearance of the chemise underneath. This
        is a very period thing to do. You still wear a chemise, but the parts
        that people can see don't move and shift. They stay put and look
        beautiful all the time.

        Hope that helps!

        Diana

        www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
        "Everything for the Costumer"
      • Cilean_69
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2005
          I have Canvas as 1 of the linings under this bodice but you are right,
          I made the bodice pattern and I am I think losing wieght, because the
          fitting fit like a glove but then, now it slipped!

          I do also have a base for the sleeves as well, but I think (?) because
          of my lose of width on the bodice I am pulling down a little I have
          tightened the Shoulders a bit, so I hope that has fixed the issue!

          I shall need to have more photos as soon as I can!

          Cilean

          Thanks for the advice!