Hemp corded corsets

  • Amy Adams
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      Although I have been in the SCA for 17 years, my sewing skills are fair at
      best. Anyway, I decided that it is time to buck down and just practice.

      I am in process of putting together my ideas for my Italian, and want to
      make a hemp cord corset to go under it. I've drafted out the pattern so
      far. Anyone have any opinion on these under Italian?

      Irina

      "You don't need your hand to touch, just as you don't need your eyes to
      see."
      Cantus, the Minstrel from Fraggle Rock
    • Blake & Kerri Morin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 3, 2005
        Anyone have any opinion on these under Italian?

        Hi Irina,

        I haven't tried the hemp boning yet myself (although it is on my
        ever-growing To Do list!), Jen Thompson has lots of great info on this
        method on her website:

        http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/

        Good luck!

        Caterucia
      • darkgrrl
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2005
          Blake & Kerri Morin wrote:

          >Anyone have any opinion on these under Italian?

          I used rope-boning in a 1480's Florentine bodice and it worked
          beautifully. I really like the smooth curve you can acheive with rope,
          while retaining support and comfort. I highly recommend trying it.
          Just remember when you're marking out the shape on the fabric the rope
          will go in, that it will end up quite a bit narrower once you've
          threaded it. I made mine larger, put the rope in, and then cut it down
          to the size of the bodice pattern.
          Francesca.
        • Gwen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
            I recently made one and it didn't work out for me, but the fault was
            all my own. I got frustrated in the fitting stages and hoped that
            lacing would solvve my problems. Also, when I tried it on it was
            REALLY warm, to the point that I couldn't wear it for more than about
            5 minutes without being ready to pass out.

            Gwen

            --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Adams"
            <A_AdamsRN@m...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > Although I have been in the SCA for 17 years, my sewing skills are
            fair at
            > best. Anyway, I decided that it is time to buck down and just practice.
            >
            > I am in process of putting together my ideas for my Italian, and
            want to
            > make a hemp cord corset to go under it. I've drafted out the
            pattern so
            > far. Anyone have any opinion on these under Italian?
            >
            > Irina
            >

            > "You don't need your hand to touch, just as you don't need your eyes to
            > see."
            > Cantus, the Minstrel from Fraggle Rock
          • Laita da Padova
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
              I've used hemp cording in the bodices of the last 2 dresses I've made (including hemp up over the shoulder straps to add support). I love them. Using a bodice pattern, fitted perfectly, adding the hemp cording in an interlayer causes the bodice to shrink enough to give a perfect gap in the center if you use front lacing. Also, it gives enough support in the bodice area, and keeps the lacing from having that awful gaping football-shape. The other great thing about hemp is that you can sew right over it!

              the downsides: it takes a really long time to do a new hemp corset interlayer for each dress. Also, because the cording causes that layer to "shrink" (even though it's stretchy) makes it difficult to sew it to the lining and the outer layer of bodice fabric - it looks a little weird on the hanger, although it does fit just fine.

              because it takes so long to make a new one for each dress, I'm going to make a separate hemp corded corset for under my italians. hopefully that'll be done in the next couple of weeks (pennsic is creeping up too quickly!). i'm hoping the hemp corset works just as well as in a bodice interlayer.

              hope that helps some
              -Laita

              Blake & Kerri Morin <bkmorin@...> wrote:
              Anyone have any opinion on these under Italian?

              Hi Irina,

              I haven't tried the hemp boning yet myself (although it is on
            • Julie Cunningham
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
                Where is the best place to purchase the hemp cord? Is there a special quality/thickness I need to look for?

                New at this and would love to try it!

                Katheryn

                Laita da Padova <laita_dapadova@...> wrote:
[...]

                Society for creative anachronism Medieval costume Medieval knights

              • Adele de Maisieres
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
                  Amy Adams wrote:

                  >Hi all,
                  >
                  >Although I have been in the SCA for 17 years, my sewing skills are fair at
                  >best. Anyway, I decided that it is time to buck down and just practice.
                  >
                  >I am in process of putting together my ideas for my Italian, and want to
                  >make a hemp cord corset to go under it. I've drafted out the pattern so
                  >far. Anyone have any opinion on these under Italian?

                  I don't really have an opinion on corsets as such, but I have a
                  rope-stiffened underdress to wear under my Italians and that seems to
                  work pretty well.

                  --
                  Adele de Maisieres

                  -----------------------------
                  Quot homines, tot sententiae.
                  -----------------------------
                • Crystal James
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
                    Has anyone with a larger figure had any success with the hemp corded corset? Does it give enough support. I have been looking at making one. I am plus size 18/20 with a DDD bust. I usually use a steel boned corset, but I have shrank out of it and would like to try something new (really just to lazy to take the corset apart and make it smaller).

                    Ministra
                    A Very Lost Soul

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Crystal James wrote:

                      >Has anyone with a larger figure had any success with the hemp corded corset? Does it give enough support. I have been looking at making one. I am plus size 18/20 with a DDD bust. I usually use a steel boned corset, but I have shrank out of it and would like to try something new (really just to lazy to take the corset apart and make it smaller).

                      I and my rope-stiffened underdress are around a size 20 with a D bust.

                      --
                      Adele de Maisieres

                      -----------------------------
                      Quot homines, tot sententiae.
                      -----------------------------
                    • ampcbj
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                        I am the same size as you and I LOVE mine. I haven't made a seperate
                        corset yet but it works great as an interlining. It won't be as much
                        support as you get from steel boning but it gives a nice rounded
                        profile (and you don't have the "big shelf" effect when you sit
                        down).
                        Hope that helps,
                        Ulivetta

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                          i purchase hemp cord at wal-mart. It's called Elements hemp jewlery cord (item #1972, 73yds, unfortunately there's no thickness sizing measurement). The cording is approx. 1/8" thick, as measured on my ruler.

                          i like this brand, because if i use the edge of the presser foot to space out the channels, this thickness of hemp fits beautifully as 2 rows of hemp per channel. you can, of course, alter the size of the channels to fit whichever size of cording you like.

                          pat catans also has hemp cording, but at catan's i can never find the thickness i prefer.

                          good luck with your project!
                          -Laita

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                            Hi all,

                            Does anyone know where to get inexpensive metal buttons?

                            On a similar note, does anyone have info on California-based T&L Barnes (aka thetrimlady)? they sell period-looking metal buttons and trim. If you have info on them or prior experience purchasing from them, please contact me off-list.

                            thanks
                            -Laita

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                              At 07:56 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:

                              >Hi all,
                              >
                              >Does anyone know where to get inexpensive metal buttons?
                              >
                              >On a similar note, does anyone have info on California-based T&L Barnes
                              >(aka thetrimlady)? they sell period-looking metal buttons and trim. If
                              >you have info on them or prior experience purchasing from them, please
                              >contact me off-list.
                              >
                              >thanks
                              >-Laita

                              answered offlist.

                              Mary Taran

                            • Ailith Mackintosh
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                                Greetings Laita.

                                I was really surprised when you mentioned Pat Catan's and I have to admit to
                                wondering where you live. So far as I remember, their stores are pretty much
                                in NE Ohio and a couple in and around Pittsburg (I think).

                                I used to work for them and helped to set up one of the stores. It's been
                                closed now...they opened a mega store about a half hour west of my home. I
                                live about an hour and a half south east of Cleveland.

                                ailith

                                >i purchase hemp cord at wal-mart. It's called Elements hemp jewlery cord
                                >(item #1972, 73yds, unfortunately there's no thickness sizing measurement).
                                >The cording is approx. 1/8" thick, as measured on my ruler.
                                >
                                > i like this brand, because if i use the edge of the presser foot to space
                                > out the channels, this thickness of hemp fits beautifully as 2 rows of
                                > hemp per channel. you can, of course, alter the size of the channels to
                                > fit whichever size of cording you like.
                                >
                                > pat catans also has hemp cording, but at catan's i can never find the
                                > thickness i prefer.
                                >
                                > good luck with your project!
                                > -Laita
                                >
                                > Julie Cunningham <juliecunningham65@...> wrote:
                                > Where is the best place to purchase the hemp cord? Is there a special
                                > quality/thickness I need to look for?
                                >
                                > Katheryn

                              • Ailith Mackintosh
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                                  *blush* I meant that to go privately...

                                  Guess that's what I get for staying up too late.

                                  ailith
                                  who's heading off to bed now

                                  > I was really surprised when you mentioned Pat Catan's and I have to admit
                                  > wondering where you live. So far as I remember, their stores are pretty
                                  > much
                                  > in NE Ohio and a couple in and around Pittsburg (I think).
                                  >
                                  > I used to work for them and helped to set up one of the stores. It's been
                                  > closed now...they opened a mega store about a half hour west of my home. I
                                  > live about an hour and a half south east of Cleveland.
                                  >
                                  > ailith

                                • Julie Cunningham