Renaissance Mourning costume

  • TABITHA RAMOS
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2002
      Hello
      I am looking for information on what the colors for were for
      mourning from 1480-1520, or where to find this info. Any help would
      be greatly appreciated.
    • Madonna Lucia Ilaria Malatesta
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2002
        --- In italianrenaissancecostuming@y..., "TABITHA RAMOS"
        <TAB2799@I...> wrote:
        > Hello
        > I am looking for information on what the colors for were for
        > mourning from 1480-1520, or where to find this info. Any help would
        > be greatly appreciated.

        It doesn't look like anyone has taken a stab at this anywhere you've
        posted it so I'll take a shot. "Mourning colors" as we know them
        descend from the Victorians. One wore "sombre colors" such as grays,
        mauves and, I believe, browm, immediantely after someone had died.
        Then, by the time of the funeral, one switched to black and stayed in
        black for a set time depending upon their relation to the deceased.
        Then one moved out of mourning slowly, back to the grays, then mauve
        (if female, of course) then merely "sombre colors" for awhile and
        then finally back to their regular clothes. There were also
        complicated "rules" involving jewelry and indeed even specific
        jewelry to wear while in mourning. But I digress.... I do not
        believe there were specific mourning colors during the renaissance.
        I do believe widows often wore black for a time but the general idea
        was that dress became more sombre, bright colors and excessive
        jewelry were avoided. Sorry I can't be of more help but hope this
        answers some of your questions.
        Regards,
        Lucia
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2002
          <lamiastrix@...> wrote:
          "Mourning colors" as we know them descend from the
          Victorians.<<<<<<

          Black for mourning was known and used before the
          Victorians. A 1595 manuscript of colour plates
          depicting fashions shows, amongst others,

          "The French Lady dressed in mourning"
          "Bolognese Widow"
          "Neopolitan Widow"
          "Roman Widow"
          "Sienese Widow"
          "Milanese Widow"
          "Venetian Widow"

          All these ladies are dressed in black.

          Of the other plates of non-widows, 5 are shown dressed
          in black: "Lady dressed in the French style" (she
          wears blue sleeves with her black dress), "A married
          woman of Paris", "Venetian Lady as she appears in
          public", Unmarried Venetian girl" (black dress, yellow
          sleeves) "Venetian courtesan". It seems that black was
          a colour of gravity or seriousness, and was worn as
          mourning at least during the last years of the
          sixteenth century.

          =====
          Lady Bella Lucia da Verona
          Innilgard, Lochac

          The Realm of Venus
          http://au.geocities.com/bella_lucia_da_verona
          Owner, Courtesan E-mail Group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Courtesan

          http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
          - Always be connected to your Messenger Friends