Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: New Member and Rant Question

  • Heather Rigaud
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 16, 2005
      Thanks Gwen,

      Clearly this was just a goof up that can happen to anyone. I agree
      that your piece was probably cut at 5 yds. I know Fabrics-store.com
      quite well, having used they're fabric in the past. In fact, I
      currently have a 20 yd bolt of their 3.5 oz white nearby that has
      been slowly morphing into camicias. <g>

      Can you share some of the details of your gown?

      I just started a 1515 Venetian gown in red worsted wool. It's cut out
      and now I'm puzzling over trim. (My weak area) I'm basing it on these:

      http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
      DaughterOfHerodias.JPG (back trim, and also for ideas on w=how to
      wear it when working at Pennsic)
      http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
      ThreeSisters1520s.jpg (Using the sleeve and neckline detail on the
      far left)
      http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
      IngannatiPietrodegli.JPG (Trim and sleeve/armseye detail)

      One thing I'll be doing that is new for me is having the top of the
      sleeve cap being the top of the bodice as well. I attended a class on
      Cotehardie with Maitresse Muriel de Chimay (I have this evil 14th
      century twin) who is using this technique for her gowns, so when I
      looked at this paintings, I realized that the venetians may be doing
      the same thing for the same reason: to get that really wide neckline
      happening.

      Has any one else tried this? Any thoughts? I'm planning on backing
      the neckline/ top of sleeve with twill tape, to keep everything
      stable, and using either cartridge pleats (most likely) or simple
      gathers.

      Thanks again,

      Catalina

      On Jun 16, 2005, at 6:56 AM, Gwen wrote:

      > I will, with the caveat that THey've remediesd the situation in the
      > best manner possible for all involved parties and I'm really happy
      > with how it was handled. This is the first problem I've had with them
      > and intend to continue doing business with them. I'm not aiming to
      > smear them because I think they provide a much needed inexpensive
      > linen source.
      >
      > It was Fabrics-Store.com. It was supposed to be 9 yards and At most I
      > got 5 yards in the initial shipment. The remaining fabric that I was
      > supposed to get is now on its way, and I should have enough that I can
      > get started on making the bodice and wait until i get the rest to whip
      > up the skirt.

    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 16, 2005
        --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rigaud
        <hmarkle@h...> wrote:

        > http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
        > IngannatiPietrodegli.JPG (Trim and sleeve/armseye detail)

        What I want to know is how is that "hairnet" affixed to her head/hair?
        What keeps it up? I've got quite a few paintings of this "thingy" and
        still can't figure it out.

        *sigh*

        Jerusha
      • Heather Rigaud
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 16, 2005
          That one I've got!
          ´┐╝There is a painting, (not sure if Yahoo is going to let this
          through) that shows a woman at her 'toilette' by Bellini, Venice,
          1515. In it, the woman is naked, except for her headdress. (Cause
          don't we all do that? Especially when our picture is being taken)
          There is a mirror behind her, which clearly shows the back of her
          head, and Ta-da! there's a big ole' pin the size of St. Louis hold
          the darn thing on! YAY!

          It's also worth noting that these ladies had maids to dress there
          hair. I know my hairstylist can get my hair to do things I *never*
          could, and it's possible that same was true in our period.

          Here's a link to the painting:http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/
          staticE/page223.html

          Catalina

          On Jun 16, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Susan Farmer wrote:

          > --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rigaud
          > <hmarkle@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
          > > IngannatiPietrodegli.JPG (Trim and sleeve/armseye detail)
          > >

          > What I want to know is how is that "hairnet" affixed to her head/hair?
          > What keeps it up? I've got quite a few paintings of this "thingy" and
          > still can't figure it out.
          >
          > *sigh*
          > Jerusha
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gwen
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 16, 2005
            I was originally inspired by this painting
            http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/florentine/images/flor
            en1.jpg,
            but as I go along, I've been straying from it a bit. I believe it's
            circa 1515 Florence, but I'm not positive (I can't actually check the
            site from this computer). I'm using the Lily Green linen from Fabrics-
            Store.com and planning on black velvet trim. The rest is kind of up
            in the air. I've just about finished my hemp-corded corset to go
            underneath and I finished my camicia about 2 weeks ago.

            Gwen

            <hmarkle@h...> wrote:
            > Thanks Gwen,
            >
            > Clearly this was just a goof up that can happen to anyone. I agree
            > that your piece was probably cut at 5 yds. I know Fabrics-
            store.com
            > quite well, having used they're fabric in the past. In fact, I
            > currently have a 20 yd bolt of their 3.5 oz white nearby that has
            > been slowly morphing into camicias. <g>
            >
            > Can you share some of the details of your gown?
            >
            > I just started a 1515 Venetian gown in red worsted wool. It's cut
            out
            > and now I'm puzzling over trim. (My weak area) I'm basing it on
            these:

            > http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
            > DaughterOfHerodias.JPG (back trim, and also for ideas on w=how to
            > wear it when working at Pennsic)
            > http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
            > ThreeSisters1520s.jpg (Using the sleeve and neckline detail on
            the
            > far left)
            > http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/
            > IngannatiPietrodegli.JPG (Trim and sleeve/armseye detail)
            >
            > One thing I'll be doing that is new for me is having the top of
            the
            > sleeve cap being the top of the bodice as well. I attended a class
            on
            > Cotehardie with Maitresse Muriel de Chimay (I have this evil 14th
            > century twin) who is using this technique for her gowns, so when I
            > looked at this paintings, I realized that the venetians may be
            doing
            > the same thing for the same reason: to get that really wide
            neckline
            > happening.
            >
            > Has any one else tried this? Any thoughts? I'm planning on backing
            > the neckline/ top of sleeve with twill tape, to keep everything
            > stable, and using either cartridge pleats (most likely) or simple
            > gathers.
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Catalina
            >

            > On Jun 16, 2005, at 6:56 AM, Gwen wrote:
            >
            > > I will, with the caveat that THey've remediesd the situation in
            the
            > > best manner possible for all involved parties and I'm really happy
            > > with how it was handled. This is the first problem I've had with
            them
            > > and intend to continue doing business with them. I'm not aiming to
            > > smear them because I think they provide a much needed inexpensive
            > > linen source.
            > >
            > > It was Fabrics-Store.com. It was supposed to be 9 yards and At
            most I
            > > got 5 yards in the initial shipment. The remaining fabric that I
            was
            > > supposed to get is now on its way, and I should have enough that
            I can
            > > get started on making the bodice and wait until i get the rest to
            whip
            > > up the skirt.

          • Heather Rigaud
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 16, 2005
              Oh, Gwen, I love that dress. Florentine is such a great look, and
              we're lucky that there were so many great artists in that period to
              leave us a large collection of paintings! Early Florentine also great
              because it can be made with "cheaper" (HAH!) fabrics and still be
              totally correct.

              (I laugh because I often pay more or my linen and wool than I do for
              my silk)

              Are you going to do the contrasting sleeves? How is the corded bodice
              working for you? I haven't experimented with that yet. My last gown
              (1520's Venetian Ribbon-Tied) has reeds at the opening to keep the
              lines straight. And for my next dress (the one that comes after the
              wool) I'm going to try doing the breast binding thing. Wish me luck!
              I have crazy huge breasts and it's always the hardest area of fitting
              for me. I'm tempted to make a corded bodice for the wool gown, but I
              worry it will be too hot for Pennsic, which is the primary reason I'm
              making it. (That and the Laurel beating on me with a stick) Hmmmmmm.

              Catalina

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 16, 2005
                http://www.wga.hu/index1.html
                Click "B"
                Click "Giovanni Bellini"
                Scroll down.
                They have the picture and a close picture of the mirror image (detail)

                I don't think that it is a hair pin. That it is more a part of the hair bag (having a brain fog for the correct name)

                Lyse

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 17, 2005
                  I'm planning a couple different contrasting sleeve options. I'm
                  thinking a copper/rust color set and a burgundy brocade set.

                  The corder bodice is working pretty well. My only issue with it is
                  that I didn't plan for weight loss and the stretchiness of the linen.
                  I was hoping to have about an inch gap on either side and it turned
                  out too big, so I had to take it in at the back. It gives a nice
                  silhouette, and smooths over some of my figure imperfections just
                  enough. It's a little heavy, but I'm hoping that since I made it from
                  all natural fibers, and the gown will be too, that it shouldn't get
                  too terribly hot.

                  I'd love to see pictures of the ribbon tied gown if you'd care to
                  post them.

                  Gwen

                  <hmarkle@h...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > > the
                  > > > sleeve cap being the top of the bodice as well. I attended a
                  class
                  > > on
                  > > > Cotehardie with Maitresse Muriel de Chimay (I have this evil
                  14th
                  > > > century twin) who is using this technique for her gowns, so
                  when I
                  > > > looked at this paintings, I realized that the venetians may be
                  > > doing
                  > > > the same thing for the same reason: to get that really wide
                  > > neckline
                  > > > happening.
                  > > >
                  > > > Has any one else tried this? Any thoughts? I'm planning on
                  backing
                  > > > the neckline/ top of sleeve with twill tape, to keep everything
                  > > > stable, and using either cartridge pleats (most likely) or

                  Service.

                • Heather Rigaud
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 17, 2005
                    Oh, good job finding the close up! Looking at it, I notice the 'bag'
                    part of the hat is gathered slightly beneath the pin/broach/thing. I
                    think the broach is a type of barrette or comb there, and the beading
                    around the top of the bag looks pretty stable, there might be some
                    combs under there as well. If you look at the hairstyles from the
                    period, the hair is often pulled back from the ears, and that would
                    give the comb/pins/whatever something to grab onto.

                    This is all guess work, if someone has a better idea, I'd love to
                    hear it.

                    Catalina

                    On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:11 AM, otsisto wrote:

                    > http://www.wga.hu/index1.html
                    > Click "B"
                    > Click "Giovanni Bellini"
                    > Scroll down.
                    > They have the picture and a close picture of the mirror image (detail)
                    >
                    > I don't think that it is a hair pin. That it is more a part of the
                    > hair bag (having a brain fog for the correct name)
                    >
                    > Lyse

                  • Susan Farmer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 17, 2005
                      <hmarkle@h...> wrote:
                      > Oh, good job finding the close up! Looking at it, I notice the 'bag'
                      > part of the hat is gathered slightly beneath the pin/broach/thing. I
                      > think the broach is a type of barrette or comb there, and the beading
                      > around the top of the bag looks pretty stable, there might be some
                      > combs under there as well. If you look at the hairstyles from the
                      > period, the hair is often pulled back from the ears, and that would
                      > give the comb/pins/whatever something to grab onto.

                      Yeah -- I'm always looking for stuff that I can actually do with my
                      hair. I *hate* having my ears covered up -- generates too much "sea
                      shell" type noise. :-( The other problem is that I have baby fine,
                      *thin* hair -- and a lot of stuff just won't stay up. There's a lady
                      in my Barony that makes gorgeous beaded cauls/snoods. Nice comb for
                      the top of your head. Won't stay up. :-( You know those spring
                      loaded clips that are the rage right now to hold your hair up? Not on
                      my head. The clips are too heavy.

                      Yeah, can't find straw hats either (if you were on the group with that
                      discussion).

                      Jerusha
                    • Heather Rigaud
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 18, 2005
                        Oh, that sounds nice. I really love that the Italians had the
                        wonderful idea of mix & match sleeves.

                        Linen is WAY different in it's stretch from cotton. I've found that
                        period designs that were just *not* happening when I did them in
                        cotton would actually work in linen or wool. (Silk is a whole
                        different ball of wax) I found it really interesting using reeds over
                        steel or plastic boning- very different feel.

                        I'll post a picture of the ribbon-tie gown- with the provision that
                        it's not finished. I need to make the undersleeves and do some
                        trimming alone the neckline/sleeve ends. <g> I also need to do
                        something with my hair, but that's a different story. It was one of
                        those "I have to be in court WHEN???" 'make a gown in a week jobs'. I
                        got lucky and found blue silk satin for 10$ a yard. The bodice is
                        lined with two layers of black linen, and the sleeves are underlined
                        with silk organdy and lined with black china silk. The skirt is lined
                        with the china silk as well. I really was pleased with the organdy
                        for making the sleeves puff the way they're supposed too. When I make
                        the undersleeves they will be dark green above the elbow and gold
                        satin for the large cuff.

                        Anyway, the photos are up in the album labeled 'Catalina', along with
                        the main painting it's based off of.

                        Catalina

                      • Crystal James
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 18, 2005
                          I have found a way around the baby fine hair and snood problem. I don't know if it would work for you or be a look that you would like. I use my own hair as an anchor at the top. I braid the hair right above my ear one on each side. Loop them over the top of your head where you want the top of your snood to set (I use a lot of bobby pins at this point and ribbon to hide the bobby pins if needed). Depending on if you want your braids to show or not is how thick you make the braids. Then I either pin or use ribbons to attach the snood either over the braids to hide them or under the braids to show them off. As my hair has gotten longer (it is now past my rear end) I have had to get creative in how I put my hair in the snood so that the weight of it doesn't pull the snood off. (it is a litle irritating when you turn your head and your hand made snood slides down your back and falls in the dirt). I have put my hair in a pony tail and then wrapped the ends around the ponytail
                          holder and stuffed it in a snood. I have put my hair in a bun at the base of my neck then used false hair to fill in the snood. It just depends on how big the snood is and how heavy it is to begin with. And if I want to deal with wispys and hair excaping the snood.

                          I hope this helps...

                          Ministra
                          A very Lost Soul