Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] up-date on my dress

  • Adele de Maisieres
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2005
      cassandracressy wrote:

      >Well, with all your help and following the research you all sent me, I
      >finally decided on a style. I sat down and roughly drew a pattern
      >from this painting
      >
      >http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/florentine/flor6.html

      <snip!>

      >My question this time is-did they use tapestry underskirts and for
      >bodice insets in this type of dress? I have a beautiful piece of
      >tapestry that I would love to use.

      I'm not sure what you mean by "bodice inset" This style of gown, afaik
      is worn over a full undergown, not a seperate underskirt.

      --
      Adele de Maisieres

      -----------------------------
      Quot homines, tot sententiae.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2005
        I am in agreement with Adele. From what I have seen of this style is a dress
        under a dress. Though there is one theory that in some cases there may have
        been separate under bodice and underskirt when the under garment was in two
        colors. But no inset/panel/plastron AFAIK.
        Depends on what you are calling tapestry. Most modern "tapestry" material
        that I have seen look to be Victorian in style and not of the 1500s.

        Lyse