it's me again

  • cassandracressy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      I know I have LOTS of questions about Italian Rens. The lastest is
      this: if I took the pattern for the square front bodice from
      the 'Everafter' pattern doctored it a bit would it come close to a
      period dress??? I am trying to get a dress ready to wear to Crown at
      the end of the month. I thought if I extended the side front under the
      arms to just past the side and angled it a bit and narrowed the
      shoulder straps it might work. I won't be using a corset but I have
      discovered some wonderfully stiff stuff called flexi firm. I found it
      in the craft section of my local fabric store. It stays stiff even when
      washed. I will still use metal stays along the lacing line just to help
      keep it VERY firm.
      The last question for now is: I have read a few articles about dressing
      Italian Ren. but am a little confused. I know there is something like
      a chemise that is worn under the dress. But I also have noticed that
      in many of the paintings that there is a different coloured skirt under
      the over dress. Is this a completely separate under dress with a bodice
      or is it attached to the over skirt??
      Ok I think that's it for now. And thank you to anyone who can help me.
      Cassandra
    • Gwen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2005
        The skirts come to a point under the center bust, whic I don't think
        is period (but I may be wrong). The simplicity Pattern doesn't
        actually have a chemise, it just fakes one.
        I'm not too sure about a different underskirt.

        Gwen

        --- In
        Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "cassandracressy"