Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Florentine 1590s ideas

  • katherinejsanders
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2005
      Thanks Lyse - I recently made one of these gowns, based on portraits
      from the 1480s - but you're right, they're both awesome sights and
      well worth keeping in mind for that period.
      Thank you,
      Susan K.

      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto"
      <otsisto@s...> wrote:
      > http://members.fortunecity.com/cadieuxx/florentine.html
      > http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/index.html
      > for a start.
      >
      > Lyse

      French.
      > Since I can't seem to find the kind of portraiture required for a
      > collection of dresses on which to base my own work, I don't know
      what
      > teh differences are between English and Italian generic fashion at
      > that time.
      > Could someone point me in the right direction? I'm already a huge
      fan
      > of the REalm of Venus (who isn't right?!) but obviously things
      tail
      > off towards the 1590s plus the focus is Venetian (and again, I've
      no
      > idea how big a difference there was between Florentine and
      Venetian
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2005
        --- katherinejsanders <katherinejsanders@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        > I'm in the process of researching a Florentine dress of the
        > 1590s/1600s <snip>

        Hi Katherine! :-)

        Your best bets for Florentine of the 1590s are:

        1. Cesare Vecellio's Renaissance Costume Book by Dover (this used to be
        online but no longer, sadly) The original was printed in 1590 but it's
        close enough I guess? There are about six or seven Florentine ladies
        depicted.

        2. The 1595 manuscrip "Album Amicorum of a German Solider" housed at
        LACMA. This is a great resource, although I'm sad to say there is only
        one florentine image listed Go to:

        http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/

        Click the orange "Search" button, top right. In the Keywords box type
        "Album Amicorum". Your search should result in 8 pages and 95 images -
        your image is on page 4.

        For portraiture, look for portraits by Alessandro Allori.

        About Allori: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Allori>

        A list of works in museum to start with:
        <http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/allori_alessandro.html>

        I hope this helps. :-)

        Donna Bella Lucia da Verona - Innilgard, Lochac
        ©Any intellectual material in this message is copyright Anabella Wake (Bella Lucia da Verona)
        ***The APRIL Italian Showcase is now online!*** http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/yourgarb/showcase.htm

        http://au.movies.yahoo.com
      • katherinejsanders
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2005
          Hi Bella ;-)

          > Hi Katherine! :-)
          >

          > Your best bets for Florentine of the 1590s are:
          > 1. Cesare Vecellio's Renaissance Costume Book by Dover (>
          > 2. The 1595 manuscrip "Album Amicorum of a German Solider" >
          http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/>
          > For portraiture, look for portraits by Alessandro Allori.
          > About Allori: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Allori>
          > A list of works in museum to start with:
          > <http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/allori_alessandro.html>

          So much stuff I hadn't found before!

          > I hope this helps. :-)

          You are, as our US friends say, darn tootin' it does! Thanks Soooo
          much :-) I had a quick scoot around the images (apart from Vecellio)
          then re-examined my Patterns of Fashion and Cut of Women's Clothes,
          both of which look a lot more useful.... I can feel a new web diary
          and outfit brewing as I type!!

          You are a STAR - sorry - STELLA :-)

          Thanks, will be keeping you up to date and asking inane questions
          forthwith,

          Katherine
        • Jacki/Erik
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2005
            Thanks for the links for Alessandro Allori. I think I am in lust for those
            lovely embroidered shawls he has on several of his ladies. Now I want some
            too.

            Elspeth Bouchannane
            Oertha, West