Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Book quandary

  • Allison Stanley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2005
      I have Dressing Renaissance Florence and its excellent! It doesnt' go into the construction of garments at all. But it tells about the guilds, why people wore what they did, the meaning of color, what types of fabrics were used, it has a glossary of all the italian names of different items used in making garments, what went into making garments...like wedding trousseaus etc. It gives a great insight to the whole sub culture of clothing in Renaissance Florence.

      Allegranza

      Gwen <undiecat@...> wrote:

      hi all, sorry about the cross post (I also posted this on the SCA
      garb list).

      I'm going to be buying a costuming book soon, and I'm stuped as to
      which to buy. I've got a $25 gift card and I'm certain that i'll be
      paying more than just that for any of these books. I've done primarily
      victorian costuming but i'm planning to make an Italian Ren gown for
      the summer. Here's what I'm trying to decide between. I'd appreciate
      any input I can get.

      Dressing Renaissance Florence: Families, Fortunes, and Fine Clothing
      by
      Carole Collier Frick

      Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments 1200-1500 by Sarah
      Thursfield

      The Cut of Women's Clothes, 1600-1930 by Norah Waugh

      Tailor's Pattern Book 1589 by Juan De Alcega

      Gwen

      In Loving Service to Kingdom and Shire,

      Lady Allegranza Maria di Rossi
      MOC