Camicia

  • lmmcbeth
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2005
      Hi all,
      I am new to this group, and have just started making my camicia for
      my first Venetian gown. I am thinking I'd like to do a simple, nice
      gather around the neckline, probably by hand or maybe smocking.

      I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a method, pass along a picture of
      camicia neck lines, or recommend any websites that would be helpful
      in the process. I'm also unsure of what I should do with my camcia
      sleeves, should I cuff? or drawstring?

      Anything you can offer would be appreciated very much.

      You can check out the plans for my Venetian gown at

      http://www.freewebs.com/lmcbeth/Venetiangown.htm

      thanks, fare thee well,
      Laura
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6, 2005
      • Oonagh ONeill
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7, 2005
          HI Laura,

          This might give you some ideas on the camicia
          http://www.geocities.com/technically_naked/gruesome_chemise.htm it
          is from my http://www.geocities.com/technically_naked/ page on what a
          Venetian women wears under her gown. A series of dressing can be
          seen at http://www.geocities.com/technically_naked/gruesome_truth.htm

          If you want to see the end results have a look at
          http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au/28mar052in1chemise.jpg
          http://au.geocities.com/curvess2000/08jan05.jpg
          http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au/04nov04a.jpg
          these are all open cuffed camicia, not drawstring.
          http://www.geocities.com/technically_naked/6_dressing.jpg
          this one has cuffs.

          Hope this helps

          Cheers

          Deb
          (Oonagh)

          Oonaghs Own
          http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au

          --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "lmmcbeth"
          <mcbetl@p...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I am new to this group, and have just started making my camicia for
          > my first Venetian gown. I am thinking I'd like to do a simple,
          nice
          > gather around the neckline, probably by hand or maybe smocking.
          >
          > I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a method, pass along a picture
          of
          > camicia neck lines, or recommend any websites that would be helpful
          > in the process. I'm also unsure of what I should do with my camcia
          > sleeves, should I cuff? or drawstring?
          >
          > Anything you can offer would be appreciated very much.
          >
          > You can check out the plans for my Venetian gown at
          >
          > http://www.freewebs.com/lmcbeth/Venetiangown.htm
          >
          > thanks, fare thee well,
          > Laura
        • lmmcbeth
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 8, 2005
            Thanks to those who answered my call for help, both websites offer
            great information, though I had visited the sites before I didn't
            realize how much information there was on camicias, thanks for
            directing me there.

            <mcbetl@p...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I am new to this group, and have just started making my camicia for
            > my first Venetian gown. I am thinking I'd like to do a simple,
            nice
            > gather around the neckline, probably by hand or maybe smocking.
            >
            > I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a method, pass along a picture
            of
            > camicia neck lines, or recommend any websites that would be helpful
            > in the process. I'm also unsure of what I should do with my camcia
            > sleeves, should I cuff? or drawstring?
            >
            > Anything you can offer would be appreciated very much.
            >
            > You can check out the plans for my Venetian gown at
            >
            > http://www.freewebs.com/lmcbeth/Venetiangown.htm
            >
            > thanks, fare thee well,
            > Laura
          • Madeleine Delacroix
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 23, 2008
              Greetings all,
              A friend yesterday brought up a question that I couldn't find an
              answer for, so I said I would send it to you folks..while wearing a
              1500 style gown, how do you make sure the camicia doesn't show? I
              looked at all the info in my research and all I could see it that the
              shoulders are longer maybe?? She wanted to know if you make the gown
              first and fit the camicia to the neck and shoulders, or what??
            • Antonia Calvo
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 23, 2008
                Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
                > Greetings all,
                > A friend yesterday brought up a question that I couldn't find an
                > answer for, so I said I would send it to you folks..while wearing a
                > 1500 style gown, how do you make sure the camicia doesn't show? I
                > looked at all the info in my research and all I could see it that the
                > shoulders are longer maybe?? She wanted to know if you make the gown
                > first and fit the camicia to the neck and shoulders, or what??

                Well, mostly you just have camicie made to show or not show, as
                needed... neckline a little bigger or a little smaller than the gown's.

                --
                Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 23, 2008
                  Mistress Astra actually pins her camecia to her gown at the front
                  corners--it keeps it from creeping up.

                  Angelina

                  On 6/23/08, Madeleine Delacroix <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings all,
                  > A friend yesterday brought up a question that I couldn't find an
                  > answer for, so I said I would send it to you folks..while wearing a
                  > 1500 style gown, how do you make sure the camicia doesn't show? I
                  > looked at all the info in my research and all I could see it that the
                  > shoulders are longer maybe?? She wanted to know if you make the gown
                  > first and fit the camicia to the neck and shoulders, or what??

                • Maddalena Alessandra
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 23, 2008
                    Depending on the shape of the dress neckline and how much variability you're willing to tolerate and how long you're willing to spend changing garb.  I have been know to sew in a false camicia, I have also used false lacing and a pull on cinch.  These are not for A&S or even for close inspection, but for getting into court garb after a shower post battle with no assistance they'll get you at least presentable quickly.  Also great for a quick change to kitchen or party garb.  One more reason I answer to Madd.

                    Maddalena Alessandra/Madd
                    Single and mostly a selfdresser

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 24, 2008
                      I would ever have thought to do this, does make things easier..

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 24, 2008
                        So you'd make the gown first then? Or do you just measure? My friend,
                        and now myself, were confused...I have always made the underclothing
                        first if it's for something special..and this time she all she got was
                        a blank stare..

                        Madelena

                        Antonia Calvo <ladyadele@...> wrote:

                        > Well, mostly you just have camicie made to show or not show, as
                        > needed... neckline a little bigger or a little smaller than the gown's.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
                        >
                        > -----------------------------
                        > Habeo metrum - musicamque,
                        > hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
                        > -Georgeus Gershwinus
                        > -----------------------------

                      • Antonia Calvo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 24, 2008
                          Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

                          > So you'd make the gown first then? Or do you just measure? My friend,
                          >and now myself, were confused...I have always made the underclothing
                          >first if it's for something special..and this time she all she got was
                          >a blank stare..

                          I just measure. And I mostly control slippage by not just having a lot
                          of loose fabric around the armpit.

                          --
                          Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                          -----------------------------
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 24, 2008
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 24, 2008
                              http://www.modaruniversity.org/chemise1.htm

                              She already made this one, mainly because I said she should make her
                              underthings first..
                              Madelene

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 24, 2008
                                She already made this one, mainly because I said she should make her
                                underthings first..
                                Madelene<<<<<
                                If she has already made this one then her only option is to re-cut the neckline of the camicia after the dress is finished, so she can better judge how much she needs to cut away.
                                In the future, if she wants to keep using that camicia pattern, then it would probably work better to make the camicia first with a smaller neck hole, but do not finish the neckline edges until she has tried on the camicia with the dress on over it. When the dress is on it should be a simple matter to mark the correct neck hole size on the fabric, cut it out and finish the edges.

                                www.yahoo7.com.au/mail
                              • Suzi
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
                                  I've made the gown first and then the camicia although I doubt that's
                                  how they did it.

                                  --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine