Re: Real photos ..... finally!!

  • ladyteagan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2005
      Hello Oonagh,
      First of all, WOW... I've really liked all your gowns and the neat
      postings you have on your web site. I really like the "Putting
      Yourself in the Picture" section. What fun is that? :-) I did that
      once in a 12th century outfit with me in front of the Taj Mahal. Don't
      you love photoshop?

      I'm a cross-century dresser myself. I go Viking, Norman, Italian Ren,
      and Elizabethan. I just can't make up my mind where Teagan should be.
      ha ha I can't sew very well, but I have so much fun.

      Anyway, this livery gown of yours... beautious! I'm particularly
      fascinated with the chemise. Did you buy the material that way or did
      you have to sew in the lace pieces? The effect is so lovely. Is it
      only the sleeves or is the lace throughout the whole chemise? I looked
      at the dress diary but there was no mention of the chemise. Did I miss it?

      Again, WOW. Bravo!
      A fan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
      - Teagan

      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Oonagh ONeill"
      <oonagh@a...> wrote:

      > HI all.
      >
      > Finially photos of my beautiful dark blue gown on me with all the
      > bits attached.
      >
      > http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au/Livery_Gown.htm
      >
      > Mio Ragazzo helped dress me and then photographed me. Isn't he
      > wonderful. I am getting him trained as a ladies dresser. But I am
      > not allowing him to practice on any other ladies. Considering he is
      > not SCA I think he did a pretty good job.
      >
      > *sigh*
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Deb
      > (Oonagh)
      >
      > Oonagh's Own
      > http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au
      >
      > Now to my uni assignment due tomorrow. I can feel an all nighter
      > coming on.
    • the123precinct
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2005
        <oonagh@a...> wrote:

        > HI all.
        >
        > Finially photos of my beautiful dark blue gown on me with all the
        > bits attached.
        >
        > http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au/Livery_Gown.htm

        Do you make your stuff only for you or also commission. I really
        couldn't figure that out from the website. Nice photos and it's
        pretty how you draped it in velvet.

        All the Best-
        Georgina
        was Paramatta now in the USA
        where it's really cold
      • curvess2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2005
          Hi Teagan,

          NO you didn't misss anything on the chemise. I havn't posted much on
          that as yet. My apprentices want to have chemise like this also so I
          will be goign through it with them and when I do I promise that I will
          put up a diary on it.

          NO I didn't buy the material like this. Yes I did sew the lace into
          the linen. No the lace isn't all over the chemise it is only on the
          cleeves and neckline.

          I have been building up my collection of laces again. I have just
          purchased over 200 meters at our Rowany Festival from a lovely merchant
          there. Mwahahaha They are so wonderfully decadent. All the linen, all
          the lace. YUM!

          Originally inspired by some of the fabulious chemise found in "Old
          Italian Lace, Vol. 1 & 2" by Elisa Ricci, William Heinemann, 1913
          that is out of copywrite and can be down loaded for FREE from this
          site http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/index.html

          Bella has webbed the images
          http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/extcam5.htm

          Basically this style of chemise is all a slight variant on a theme.
          The basic theme is from Dorothy Burnham's study of an extant chemise
          housed at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, and explained in
          her book Cut My Cote.

          More images and web sites that may interest you:
          http://www.geocities.com/royal_whim/index.html

          The chemise I made for HRM Mathilde
          http://www.geocities.com/royal_whim/Dscn6519.jpg
          http://www.geocities.com/royal_whim/Dscn6775.jpg
          http://www.geocities.com/royal_whim/Dscn6661.jpg
          http://www.geocities.com/royal_whim/Dscn6635.jpg

          Mathilde actually wore 2 different lace chemises on that weekend.
          One was the one I made for her and the other was another one of mine
          that I loaned her for the occasion.

          HRM Mathildes apprentice and My pseudo apprentice Lady Seraphina
          http://www.geocities.com/royal_whim/Dscn6729.jpg
          http://www.geocities.com/royal_whim/Dscn6793.jpg

          In the extant chemise the lace would have been reticella lace. For
          practical reasons I have used commercially available laces that are
          true to the time I am recreating. The laces are first pinned into
          position then stitched down and the linen behind is cut away to allow
          the beautiful patterns of the lace to be seen more clearly.

          Because the mind set is to get maximum impact from the lace, a
          minimum of overlapping on the linen is aimed for. Thus very little
          lace is `lost' to the fabric. Lace edging is applied to the neckline
          and the cuffs of the chemise. In all extant chemise lace is also
          applied at the hems of the chemise, but as this will not be seen I
          elected to forgo this step for financial reasons. All the seams on
          the sleeves have lace strips in them, but not the body. I think the
          term is faggot stitched. This is so that the lace is butting up
          against the edge of the material without overlapping and then
          stitched down.

          I hope this has corrupted you to finding really nice laces and good
          linens to make your own versions.

          BTW, the lace is easier to work if you starch it first. Yes starch!

          Cheers

          Deb
          (Oonagh)

          Oonaghs Own
          http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au

          > Anyway, this livery gown of yours... beautious! I'm particularly
          > fascinated with the chemise. Did you buy the material that way or did
          > you have to sew in the lace pieces? The effect is so lovely. Is it
          > only the sleeves or is the lace throughout the whole chemise? I looked
          > at the dress diary but there was no mention of the chemise. Did I
          miss it?

          > Again, WOW. Bravo!
          > A fan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
          > - Teagan
        • curvess2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2005
            I have done stuff for friends, and I help my apprentices with their
            stuff. But as a rule I don't do commisions as no one around here is
            prepared to pay what it is worth. I have been told that if I were in
            the USA I would be kept busy with commision work from people prepared
            to pay what the work is worth. Oh well.

            Cheers

            Deb
            (Oonagh)

            Oonaghs Own
            http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au

            who is really tired now after pulling an all nighter for a university
            assignment that I have to deliver today at 2pm ...... only 4 hours
            away.