Braided hair and hair extensions?

  • kitlizzy
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 12:29 PM
      Hello!
      I'm looking for some examples of the different ways hair was braided
      and/or dressed for 1500's-ish Italian women. I have several lengths
      of nice false hair I'd like to use for a couple of different outfits
      but am not sure of just what to do with them.

      I've found a lot on hair taping, but what I'm intending is more of
      the "crown" of braids (with or without the pearls) that I've seen
      occasionally but can't seem to find much on when I'm actully looking
      for it. ;D

      I'm also interested in the long braid down the back and how that's
      done. I have quite thick shoulder length hair and I can't find a good
      way to add the extensions to my own braid to make it waist length,
      nor can I figure out how on earth to put the ribbons about it and get
      them to stay in place. :D

      I'm sure there are instructions and examples (both portraits or
      pictures of people who have done this) out there for these things,
      but I appear to be unable to locate them.

      Thank you!
    • Crystal James
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1 11:05 PM
        Hi there I'm pretty new here but, I can answer your question on how to get the ribbon to stay in your hair. You sew it in. Get a large eyed dull yarn needle and just sew the design through your own braided hair or the extentions or if you have help you can sew the braided coronet right into your own hair. There use to be a site out there with picture examples of how to do this and different period designs. I will look and see if I can find it.

        Ministra

        kitlizzy <kitliz001@...> wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2 7:29 AM
          Hi!

          I recreated Beatrice D'Este's hairstyle in the Pala Sforzesca
          http://www.shipbrook.com/karen/dress_diaries/beatrice/

          Other examples of this style can be seen here
          Family of Uberto de Sacrati
          http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/m/master/xunk_it/xunk_it3/sacrati.jpg
          Lucrezia Crivelli
          http://www.erasofelegance.com/davinci.html
          http://alfalfapress.com/history/costume/images/1490_davinci.jpg
          Barbara Pallavicino
          http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/a/araldi/pallavic.html
          Bianca Maria Sforza
          http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.artehistoria.com/tienda/banco/cuadros
          /4432.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpredis%2Bsforza%2Bbianca%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8
          All of these women, except perhaps Bianca Maria Sforza, appear to have a covering over their ponytail.

          This is a center part style that closely frames the face and covers the ears. I use a hair product to get my hair to lay smooth and over my ears. Putting my hair in a ponytail at the base of my neck and then gently pulling at the sides to loosen then to lie over my ears works for me.

          This bust shows what the tension on the hair might look like.
          Attributed to Gian Cristoforo Romano (Italian, c. 1465-1512)
          Bust of a Woman, probably Isabella d'Este c. 1500
          http://www.kimbellart.org/database/index.cfm?detail=yes&ID=AP%202004.01

          To recreate a covered ponytail, I made a long, lined tube of lightweight fabric and tacked down ribbon in a criss-cross pattern. I left the side seam open for 8" and sewed in 4 sets of hooks and eyes to hold it closed. I then braided my hair, with an elastic band at the top and bottom of the braid, and slipped the tube over my braid. I hooked the top hook and eye closed, catching the top elastic band in the hook to secure it if necessary. To fill up the rest of the casing (Hers is at least to the back of her knees!), I made a braid of yarn and stuffed it into the braid casing. A hook can go on the false braid to attach it to the real braid, if it needs support. Then I close the hooks and someone else hand sews it closed for me. (This is laborious and I am going to replace all but the top hook set with a strip of velcro!)
          A word of caution, I keep sitting on a braid this long and have to be aware if the extra length. Of course it also makes a nice toy to fidget with!

          Beatrice is wearing a coazzone (A broad plait or roll of hair, often decorated with ribbon\or braiding, which hangs down the back. It is sometimes worn with a trinzale) and a trinzale (A piece of fine cloth covering the hair which, in the case of Bianca Maria Sforza, covers both the back of her head and the long roll of hair (coazzone) hanging down her back, tied with ribbons and pearls.). With this she wears a fermaglio (A brooch or hat badge, also known as a brochetta or medaglio, depending on its form and use. A versatile piece of jewelry worn on the shoulder, on a headdress, the sleeve, or the bodice of a garment. Invariably made on a large scale, the fermaglio was effective from a distance. Some brooches bore figures or emblems in relief, sometimes with heraldic significance.) and a lenza (A ribbon or braid tied round the crown of the head, and often decorated with a jewel over the forehead.).
          Definitions are from Herald
          http://www.florentine-persona.com/glossary.html

          I hope this helps,
          Lucrezia
          P.S. Do you have a link to the crown of braids picture?

[...]

          Now includes pop-up blocker!
        • kitlizzy
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2 8:56 AM
            Oh my, thank you so much! That was tremendously helpful.

            The "braided crown" that I mentioned is something that I have seen at
            events and know that I have seen similar to in portraits in the past,
            but this was all I could find when I went back looking yesterday. I'd
            love to find some portraiture that showed the style in the last one.

            http://snipurl.com/d6ex
            http://snipurl.com/d6f5
            http://snipurl.com/d6fm
            http://snipurl.com/index.php

            --- In
            Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "susang45@j..."

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2 9:17 AM
              Whoops, that last one should have been:
              http://snipurl.com/d6gv
              :D

              --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "kitlizzy"
              <kitliz001@h...> wrote:

              > Oh my, thank you so much! That was tremendously helpful.
              >
              > The "braided crown" that I mentioned is something that I have seen
              at
              > events and know that I have seen similar to in portraits in the
              past,
              > but this was all I could find when I went back looking yesterday.
              I'd
              > love to find some portraiture that showed the style in the last one.
              >
              > http://snipurl.com/d6ex
              > http://snipurl.com/d6f5
              > http://snipurl.com/d6fm
              > http://snipurl.com/index.php
              >

              > --- In
              > Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "susang45@j..."
              > <susang45@j...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi!
              > >

              > > I hope this helps,
              > > Lucrezia
              > > P.S. Do you have a link to the crown of braids picture?
            • Catelli, Ann
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3 5:44 AM
                > From: Crystal James <ministra_crystal@...>
                >
                > Hi there I'm pretty new here but, I can answer your question
                > on how to get the ribbon to stay in your hair. You sew it in.

                > Get a large eyed dull yarn needle and just sew the
                > design through your own braided hair or the extensions or if
                > you have help you can sew the braided coronet right into
                > your own hair. There use to be a site out there with picture
                > examples of how to do this and different period designs. I
                > will look and see if I can find it.
                >
                > Ministra

                If you look for "Tapestry Needles", then you will get the right sort; look for a fairly large needle, 2-3" long; the eye will be big enough for the ribbon for hair taping.

                I've used 1/8" cheap satin ribbon; the actual Italians of our period almost certainly used silk ribbons.

                Unsolicited testimonial for hair taping: my hair is very fine & straight & can fall out of braids even with elastics. Hair taping keeps my hair up & looking fancy all day.

                Ann in CT
              • susang45@juno.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3 7:21 AM
                  Those hairstyles are beautiful, but past my range of interest or knowledge. Maybe the ladies who posted them could help. The SCA milliners Yahoo group might also be a good one to ask. They consider both hairstyles and millinery appropriate topics.
                  Lucrezia

                  > > The "braided crown" that I mentioned is something that I have
                  seen
                  at
                  > events and know that I have seen similar to in portraits in the
                  past,
                  > but this was all I could find when I went back looking yesterday.
                  I'd
                  > love to find some portraiture that showed the style in the last one.
                  > > http://snipurl.com/d6ex
                  > http://snipurl.com/d6f5
                  > http://snipurl.com/d6fm
                  > http://snipurl.com/d6gv

                  Now includes pop-up blocker!
                • Oonagh ONeill
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 21 2:46 PM
                    hmmmm I recognise those photos. lol

                    I am university at the moment and havn't got all my notes at hand.
                    when I get home I will dig stuff out for you and post links ect

                    Glad that you like what you see. Those hair style are created using
                    comercially available hair pieces and are simply pined into place
                    where my own hair finishes.
                    http://au.geocities.com/oonaghsown/where_is_the_real_medalion_crop.jpg
                    http://au.geocities.com/oonaghsown/swearing_fealty_a_crop.jpg
                    These also show the back of my head with the same kind of
                    arrangement. You can also see the differences in the hair colour of
                    my own to the false hair.

                    Will dig out stuff when I get home.

                    Cheers

                    Deb
                    (Oonagh)

                    Oonaghs Own
                    http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au

                    <susang45@j...> wrote:

                    > Those hairstyles are beautiful, but past my range of interest or
                    knowledge. Maybe the ladies who posted them could help. The SCA
                    milliners Yahoo group might also be a good one to ask. They consider
                    both hairstyles and millinery appropriate topics.
                    > Lucrezia
                    >
                    > > > The "braided crown" that I mentioned is something that I have
                    > seen
                    > at
                    > > events and know that I have seen similar to in portraits in the
                    > past,
                    > > but this was all I could find when I went back looking yesterday.
                    > I'd
                    > > love to find some portraiture that showed the style in the last
                    one.
                    > > > http://snipurl.com/d6ex
                    > > http://snipurl.com/d6f5
                    > > http://snipurl.com/d6fm
                    > > http://snipurl.com/d6gv

                    > Now includes pop-up blocker!
                    > Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.juno.com/surf to sign up today!
                  • AnneWynne
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005
                      http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html

                      Link from the files section on "Field Hair" Includes instructions for
                      2 styles of hair taping and illustrations of hair taping in
                      portraiture.

                      Hope this helps--
                      Wyn (who generally lurks and is new at Italian Renaissance costuming)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005
                        I do not believe that the picture shows hair taping. Hair taping is where
                        you interweave a ribbon or tape within the hair braid. The picture in
                        question does not show this.

                        Lyse