Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] A few questions..?

  • AShby Panitz
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2005
      Hi Sarah,

      Welcome! Welcome! For Period patterns also Try Medieval Miscellania (Sp) , http://www.mediaevalmisc.com/patterns.htm

      Everyone has such good information to give you I did not think I should bother you with repeating it, Everyone also has their own styles of sewing and Ideas on what patterns do and do not work for them. Including me. ( I try to be objective where "Costume Patterns" are concerned) I know where you are I remember not having anyone to help me at first with patterns, I had to buy the few that were on the market at that point.)

      Honestly I highly suggest Research Research Reasearch what interests you first and narrow it down.I looked at Dozens of paintings online. From all over the Italian ren era. to get a better Idea of what I liked.

      I have Run the Gammit where patterns are concerned and have used them all, Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick as well as Medieval misc. and making my own Pattern (My new prefered method)

      What type of italian Persona do you look to become?? early-Houplandes, the mid Italian Renaissance, like Ever After style of Dress. This is also the era I am. or late as in the Courtesan era There are Several Wonderful sites I can refer you to. There is so much out there.

      If you want I can get you a list of some sites where the Ladies are as amazingly helpful as their garb is absolutely georgous! Please let me know how I can direct you, It can all be a little overwhelming at first. Please feel free to contact me Off list too if you want. I am happy to help where I can.

      Lady Satine De La Courcel

      r@...> wrote:

      Greetings All,

      I am a newer gal to the SCA, and I am thinking I want to do an
      Italian persona, I was wondering how all you gifted women/(men) get
      the patterns for these pretty dresses? I am horrible at making
      patters. So I must look to buying them. I am still newer to sewing as
      well... Can anyone help?

      *bows*
      Sarah

    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2005
        I haven't used PP#41 though, so you'll need
        > more input on how good they are.
        >
        > Here's an idea of what they look like, if you haven't already seen them
        > that is...
        >
        > <http://www.sewingcentral.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=pp41.html>
        > <http://www.margospatterns.com/>
        >
        > Not affiliated in any way, hope this helps though. :-)

        I use PP #41 all the time. I love it.

        I have heard complaints about the instructions, but I confess, I usually
        just go by the pics. I love all the different sleeve styles it offers. I
        have a thing for sleeves...

        Laurensa
      • Teresa McCombs
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2005
          This is my first post. I have used PP41#. The dresses look good but some are
          not right. Let's take II the underdress is all sewed in to the overdress. I
          was more than upset after making several of them to find out they were all
          wrong. So what I have done is make a underdress then use the pattern for
          dress II for my overdress. With that being said I hope this helps someone.
          Wish someone could have helped me. I was not a member of any group at that
          time. I got to learn THE HARD WAY!

          Teresa McCombs

          > I haven't used PP#41 though, so you'll need
          > > more input on how good they are.
          > >
          > > Here's an idea of what they look like, if you haven't already seen them
          > > that is...

          <http://www.sewingcentral.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=pp41.html

          > > <http://www.margospatterns.com/>
          > >
          > > Not affiliated in any way, hope this helps though. :-)
          > >

          > I use PP #41 all the time. I love it.
          >
          > I have heard complaints about the instructions, but I confess, I usually
          > just go by the pics. I love all the different sleeve styles it offers. I
          > have a thing for sleeves...
          >
          > Laurensa
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dianne & Greg Stucki
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2005
            > This is my first post. I have used PP41#. The dresses look good but some
            > are
            > not right. Let's take II the underdress is all sewed in to the overdress.
            > was more than upset after making several of them to find out they were all
            > wrong. So what I have done is make a underdress then use the pattern for
            > dress II for my overdress. With that being said I hope this helps someone.
            > Wish someone could have helped me. I was not a member of any group at that
            > time. I got to learn THE HARD WAY!

            I had forgotten about that part--yes, make a separate underdress. Not only
            is the attached underskirt WRONG, but it's a PITA to put in to begin with!

            Laurensa

            > Teresa McCombs

          • katherinejsanders
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2005
              --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah
              Michelle" <countryblue_sr@y...> wrote:
              > Thank you Katherine I love your website too very well done!

              Thanks Sarah - I'm new to the whole website thing but it's very
              useful and I've been able to organise my thoughts as I go along -
              plus one day I aspire to being in the Italian Showcase of the Realm
              of Venus, the best site for Italian and Venetian garb (run by the
              Bella Donna Lucia, who recommended the 'via media' for you).

              In my own SCA shire, I was very lucky to have several laurels who
              were into different aspects of costume and different countries/
              periods. Have you met anyone helpful in your own area yet?

              Hope you have fun finding the right style and period for you -
              although remember, you can always try a few before you decide! I
              think that's half the fun to be honest :-)

              Looking forward to hearing how you get on,

              Katherine