Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Toss off fabrics

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 16, 2004
      Valerie, I think what Ady means is not to rely solely on the fabric
      store and its upholstery section.
      Interior designers or decorators have their sources...and if you
      cultivate sincere relationships with them, you may well be able,
      after a while, to avail yourself not of their sources directly, but
      of any overage they may have when they've finished jobs.

      By the way, which small town in Indiana do you live in?

      Yseult

      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie J.
      Rose" <pooka@i...> wrote:

> [...]
    • Patricia Fee
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 16, 2004
        I just wanted to add the www.fashionfabricsclub.com
        has some very good fabric at wonderful prices.

        Right now they have several colors of a linen/polly
        blend on sale for $1.99 a yard and I think its at
        least 57"wide. This is good for everything up to
        court garb, and then with a good addition of maybe
        velvet trim, could be useful for even that.

        I just ordered 10 yards of a tan, which I plan to
        make an Italian ribbon tie dress with lots of trim and
        embroidery,out of.

        Good bargins are out there if you are willing to
        look for them.

        Just courious, you have posted that you can't or
        have trouble using on line sources for your faberic.
        Is this because you don't have a cerdit card? Nether
        do I My bank offers a debit card. That works just
        fine. Some of the Oneline stores even take pay pal.

        Katherine
        --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
        wrote:

        > Valerie, I think what Ady means is not to rely
        > solely on the fabric
        > store and its upholstery section.
        > Interior designers or decorators have their
        > sources...and if you
        > cultivate sincere relationships with them, you may
        > well be able,
        > after a while, to avail yourself not of their
        > sources directly, but
        > of any overage they may have when they've finished
        > jobs.
        >
        > By the way, which small town in Indiana do you live
        > in?
        >
        > Yseult
        >
        > --- In
        > Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com,
        > "Valerie J.
        > Rose" <pooka@i...> wrote:

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Valerie J. Rose
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2004
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 2004
            In Terre Haute, eh?
            Well, regarding the designers or decorators or the furniture
            places... They don't have to be notable designers, don't have to be
            big names, or even extraordinarily talented. They just have to have
            that license.
            The idea is to make a connection, somewhere. Somewhere not too far
            from where your own dwelling is, is someone who is connected in some
            way to a fabric source.
            The challenge is, you must find them. Kind of like wanting to find a
            social relationship: do you know someone who claims to want with
            their heart, mind and soul to have someone to love and be loved by,
            but never does anything but go to work and then come home and sit in
            front of the television, and lament that their Special Someone, their
            Soul Mate, hasn't knocked on the door and said, "Hello; I'm looking
            for *my* Special Someone, my own Soul Mate, and I thought I'd take a
            chance that person might live here. Are you that person?"
            You always have to meet opportunity at least halfway. Sometimes, you
            not only have to build the highway for opportunity to meet you, you
            have to create the opportunity, too.
            But building the relationship after you find the connection, may take
            some time.
            By the way, did you know that Hancock's and JoAnn's both carry
            upholstery and home decorating fabrics, and that they sell on line?
            Moreover, JoAnn's offers a regular brochure through the mail which
            will contain coupons, one of them for on-line use. And I believe you
            can go to their website and sign up (JoAnn's, I mean) to be on their
            mailing list.
            Since I don't shop on line very much, I'm not sure how this works
            with JoAnn's on-line purchases' policy, but with the actual mailer in
            your hands, you do need to use the coupon for a purchase every so
            often, or have the store scan the mailing label, for you to remain on
            the mailing list.
            I'm confidant that one of the means of payment, perhaps the debit
            card Katherine suggested, will come through for you. I don't "keep
            plastic" either, by which I mean I don't use credit cards, and a
            number of places have been very good about accepting personal checks;
            often it takes a bit longer to receive whatever I've bought, since
            they may wait for the check to clear before shipping the fabric, but
            it's worked out well enough.
            Terre Haute. You're in the Shire of Strikkenwoode.
            Now, if you're in Strikkenwoode, and the rest of the Shire's populace
            is in Strikkenwoode and the immediate surrounding area,
            with "immediate" being relative to how you reckon distance and how
            much geography Strikkenwoode covers, and Strikkenwoode as part of the
            SCA requires garb, well, the rest of the Shire has to have sources
            for fabric.
            If there's nothing local, then that means that the alternatives are
            fabric runs to a large shopping center or mall or another city, or it
            means people are ordering on-line or through the mail.
            And if that's the case, as it has to be, those are the folks who can
            be your answered prayer as far as purchasing fabric goes.
            When there's a sale at Wal-Mart, or if someone knows there's a thirty-
            eight yard bolt of muslin on the dollar-a-yard table, it makes sense
            for several people to get together and buy the whole thing.
            When fabric-store.com offers their sale on a twenty-yard "bolt" of
            linen, *IF* you like the fabric---they'll send swatches, by the way---
            and several other people do, too, go in on it together; four or five
            of you could have one chemise each, depending on required fullness
            and the styles you want (that linen is wide) for just under five
            dollars per yard plus shipping.
            You pay your share for fabric and your share of the shipping, and
            someone else provides a card, maybe.
            There's a lot of buying power in numbers, helpfulness in groups, all
            that.... :-)

            Good luck,
            Yseult

            --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie J.
            Rose" <pooka@i...> wrote:
            <<<snipped>>>>

            > Yseult,
            > I figured. But, as I said, as far as I know there *are* no
            local
            > interior designers or decorators of any note. There are some listed
            in the
            > yellow pages of the phone book, but most of those are furniture
            places -
            > which really only have already finished pieces so that doesn't help
            me. A
            > few other names look possible, but not many. And in this town, as
            bad as the
            > economy is, I am willing to bet that they will want to squeeze
            every penny
            > till it screams. I will check into a few names, though, since a few
            folks
            > here seem to think it might help me. It wouldn't be the first time
            I was
            > wrong <<grin>>!
            > I live in Terre Haute. There are smaller towns, but alot of
            bigger ones
            > too. By the by...someone has offered to sew for me! With luck I may
            have
            > something in the way of gowns soon. It will be through the mail
            only,
            > though, but we are discussing muslin work-ups to make sure things
            are right
            > before she cuts into good (expensive!) fabric.:)
            >
            > Valerie J. Rose
            > pooka@i...
            > >
            > > --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie J.

          • Valerie J. Rose
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 18, 2004
              > Well, regarding the designers or decorators or the furniture
              > places...

              I did say I would check a few of the names in the book out.

              > By the way, did you know that Hancock's and JoAnn's both carry
              > upholstery and home decorating fabrics, and that they sell on line?

              Yep.

              > Moreover, JoAnn's offers a regular brochure through the mail which
              > will contain coupons, one of them for on-line use. And I believe you
              > can go to their website and sign up (JoAnn's, I mean) to be on their
              > mailing list.

              Yep. I get the flyers, too.

              > Since I don't shop on line very much, I'm not sure how this works
              > with JoAnn's on-line purchases' policy, but with the actual mailer in
              > your hands, you do need to use the coupon for a purchase every so
              > often, or have the store scan the mailing label, for you to remain on
              > the mailing list.

              I *don't* shop online if I have to put my credit card info out on the
              web. I don't care *what* the adds say, I just don't believe it's safe.

              > I'm confidant that one of the means of payment, perhaps the debit
              > card Katherine suggested,

              Must have missed that message...Believe me, I do have some nice fabric
              waiting to get made up. I just am sad that I didn't get *that* fabric (the
              one I posted the link for).

              > will come through for you. I don't "keep
              > plastic" either, by which I mean I don't use credit cards, and a
              > number of places have been very good about accepting personal checks;
              > often it takes a bit longer to receive whatever I've bought, since
              > they may wait for the check to clear before shipping the fabric, but
              > it's worked out well enough.

              I do use a credit card, but it has alot on it due to medical and
              vetinary expenses lately. I do make enough to buy some pretty stuff now and
              then, though, and have found some *great* deals on Ebay. On Ebay I either
              send a personal check, if the seller will accept it, or a postal money
              order.

              > Terre Haute. You're in the Shire of Strikkenwoode.

              Sort of.

              > Now, if you're in Strikkenwoode, and the rest of the Shire's populace
              > is in Strikkenwoode and the immediate surrounding area,
              > with "immediate" being relative to how you reckon distance and how
              > much geography Strikkenwoode covers, and Strikkenwoode as part of the
              > SCA requires garb, well, the rest of the Shire has to have sources
              > for fabric.

              I am sure they do what I do...go to JoAnns fabrics, Walmart, Ebay, etc.
              I never said that there weren't such places, just that none of them had
              *that* fancy/expensive of fabric - hence my shock at the final winning bid.

              > If there's nothing local, then that means that the alternatives are
              > fabric runs to a large shopping center or mall or another city, or it
              > means people are ordering on-line or through the mail.

              I am disabled. Though we have a van, and my brother drives, he also
              works and we almost never have time or $$ to go to Indianapolis or whatever.
              When we are in Indy, it is almost always for a medical appointment for me at
              the VA hospital there, and so we are still too busy.

              > And if that's the case, as it has to be, those are the folks who can
              > be your answered prayer as far as purchasing fabric goes.

              I will not go into the reasons here, as it isn't appropriate. But, I
              don't attend Shire meetings anymore and if we (my brother and I) go to
              events, we go on our own. Just because you are in the geographical area of a
              certain group does not mean that you are also comfortable there. Also, till
              very recently, my brothwer worked swing shift and so couldn't attend
              meetings because he was at work at the time. I don't drive, due to medical
              reasons, and so without him to drive me I couldn't go. Not that I would
              have, anyway. However, very recently we learned that the Shire has changed,
              with some people leaving and other new people coming in, so I may try it
              again. Also, Jim has *finally* been taken off of swing shift and is back on
              days, so he could drive us. Unfortunatly, he is down with a *nasty* flu bug
              at the moment, so till he feels better he won't even be going to work.

              > When there's a sale at Wal-Mart,

              Believe me, I check the discount fabric racks at our local Walmart
              *regularly*! They have *never* had any fabric like the stuff in that
              auction.

              > or if someone knows there's a thirty-
              > eight yard bolt of muslin on the dollar-a-yard table, it makes sense
              > for several people to get together and buy the whole thing.

              I bought a *50* yard bolt of muslin that was on sale at JoAnns fabrics a
              couple of years ago. I offered to the ladies in the Shire then that if one
              would make me a chemise I would *give* her enough of the muslin to make
              herself one as payment. I even offered a little $$ to sweeten the deal. I
              got glares, turned backs, etc. Enough about that. Just wanted to show you
              that I *have* tried what you are suggesting.

              > When fabric-store.com offers their sale on a twenty-yard "bolt" of
              > linen, *IF* you like the fabric---they'll send swatches, by the way---
              > and several other people do, too, go in on it together; four or five
              > of you could have one chemise each, depending on required fullness
              > and the styles you want (that linen is wide) for just under five
              > dollars per yard plus shipping.
              > You pay your share for fabric and your share of the shipping, and
              > someone else provides a card, maybe.
              > There's a lot of buying power in numbers, helpfulness in groups, all
              > that.... :-)

              The local Shire would *NOT* work with me like that. I may try again, as
              I said above, but as I was *SO* badly burned...

              > Good luck,
              > Yseult

              Valerie J. Rose
              pooka@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 18, 2004
                Apologies to those of you who have received this more than once.

                Hi all, I am posting on behalf of Master Del. For anyone who likes period dancing and who has
                always wanted to visit Lochac (Australia), you may be interested in this! The event is on the
                weekend before Midwinter Coronation 2005, which will be held in my home Barony of Innilgard! :-)

                Bella

                Forwarded message begins......

                Hi all,

                Just another reminder about the next Known World Dance Symposium,
                down here in Lochac. There will be a wide range of classes to interest
                all levels of dancers, including:

                * Beginners
                * Intermediate Workshops
                * Steps and Dance Styles
                * Focussed papers on manuals of interest.

                The event web site is here:

                http://www.sca.org.au/kwds/

                Registrations are open, and there are downloadable booking forms that can
                be printed off and posted in. Bookings can also be made on line:

                http://www.sca.org.au/kwds/index.php/standard/112

                (Prices are all in Australian Dollars, $AU1.00 ~ $US0.75 at the moment,
                credit cards including US and Canadian cards are taken).

                We'll shortly have an "extras" program, which includes SCA events in nearby
                cities on the weekends either side of the event, scenic and winery tours,
                etc. Keep your eyes on the space under "Timetable" on the event web site
                for more details as they become available.

                http://www.sca.org.au/kwds/

                http://au.movies.yahoo.com