Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Fabric question

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2004
      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie J.
      Rose" <pooka@i...> wrote:

> [...]
      Florentine,
      > > maybe a bit later....
      > > Use it and enjoy wearing your pretty gown! Please do post
      pictures
      > > when you've finished this project. (By the way, do you know that
      > > lacking a digital camera and or a scanner, you can still take
      photos
      > > with "regular" film, and have the pictures printed to disk, which
      > > will allow you to share via e-mail or Photos files on lists?
      Most of
      > > the larger developing services, such as those found in any retail
      > > photo chain, Wal Mart, K-Mart, Sears, and so on, offer this.)
      > >
      > > Yseult
      >
      > Yseult,
      > Thanks for the response, and the info.:) And I wish I could sew
      things
      > myself, but I can't. It's not just that I never learned, it's also
      that I am
      > disabled and unable to. I have been looking for a seamstress around
      here for
      > quite some time, with no luck so far - but I keep trying. I *WILL*
      find
      > someone and get the dresses I want so badly, I am determined! I
      have other
      > fabrics than that one, just waiting to be made up. It's very
      frustrating,
      > but I refuse to give up. And yes, I have offered to pay. I have had
      several
      > people promise to sew for me, and then back out on me at the last
      minute
      > (sigh). I figure that the more I can learn about this type of dress
      the
      > better, maybe it will help me get someone to sew for me.
      > I do have access to a scanner, but don't have a camera. A throw
      away
      > camera could be used, of course, but I have had alot of other
      things going
      > on...including often not feeling well...so I just hadn't done it.
      >
      > Valerie J. Rose
      > pooka@i...

      Good for you! Determination is important. I think it was the out-of-
      SCA-period Abraham Lincoln who said that your own determination to
      succeed is more important than anything else [in determining whether
      you do or don't.] I'm sure others have expressed that same thought.
      And if I'm not mistaken it was Calvin Coolidge--(hmm: Yseult, you
      could be on thin ice here, relying on recall!)--who stated that
      nothing will take the place of persistence: not talent, not genius,
      not education, not money.
      Someone will have a digital camera and be willing to take some photos
      for you and put them on disk: if they have the camera and either the
      necessary cable or the port the camera gets connected to (and maybe
      some specific software), it's not a big deal, and disks aren't very
      expensive.
      As I see it, it's still you using the fabric, even if someone else is
      doing the sewing. The landowner determined the use of his land even
      if someone else did the plowing, sowing, and reaping, no? <G>
      What might explain that fabric, should you decide to use it for an
      Italian Ren gown...? Hmmm...the pattern is rather Persian. Perhaps
      this is a Persian textile, traded to...Constantinople (Istanbul), and
      from there to Venice? (I don't know your persona; how she came to
      possess this fabric, you'll know.)
      Wishing you success in your search for a conscientious and skilled
      seamstress, and hoping that after your gown is completed you'll post
      pictures of you wearing it!

      Yseult
    • Patricia Fee
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 8, 2004
        Valerie,

        As one that has followed your posts from list to
        list I have to step up and point some things out.

        While we all like to get along on the lists, and I
        consider it my pleasure to help others with their
        costuming, I think you had better take some of the
        accusations in your post back.

        I for one not only offered to sew for you not once,
        but three times and got ignored the first two times.

        I heard from you on the third time and you asked
        about my fees for doing the work. I replied and never
        heard from you again, except by way of another public
        post, accusing people of trying to over charge you.

        I will also take responcibility for being the
        "someone wrote a private " also.

        I wrote to you in priviate because I couldn't stand
        you giving the good ladies in you shire an undeserved
        bad name, yet again. For this I will not appoligise.

        I did so in hopes that you would cease you repeated
        posts seeking sympathy, under the guise of being
        mistreated.

        You have not changed your tune since your first
        surfaced, at least to my reconing, about 8 years ago
        on the Lists of the Adrian Empire. Where you caused
        upset and disharmony.

        I'm sure if you truely want help with your garb
        someone will be willing to help, as long as you are
        honest about your goals.

        Fabric choice is not a major stumbling block as long
        as you are not entering the Arts and Science lists.
        Many a beautiful gown is made with cotton or synthic
        fabrics and the wearer is happy to look period, and be
        admired for the color, cut and other choices they have
        made for their garb.

        Be up front with what you really want, what you can
        afford and the fabric you already have. I'm sure, if
        you do, you will find someone to make you some
        beautiful garb.

        Katherine

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250