curl stitch

  • Krystal Ruth Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2004
      quoted from "The Anchor Manual of Needlework" p. 445:
      ISBN 0-934026-59-9

      "Curl stituch consists of a cord in relief. To work this stitch make a
      row of Running Stitches, taking up five or six threads of material and
      leaving the same number. Then make a second row to cover the spaces, as
      in Holbein Stitch. Work over the running stitches by oversewing so that
      any unevenness is avoided, and lastly work Cording Stitch, without
      taking up the threads of fabric, so that the effect is that of a cord in
      relief."

      I think this means to work a row of double running stitch, as you would
      for blackwork embroidery. The book doesn't have an entry for Cording
      Stitch, but it sounds like you are supposed to slip the needle under a
      running stitch, and wrap the thread around the stitch several times,
      lining up the wraps so that it looks like a cord, or a curl..

      Baroness Morgana de Mont-St-Michel
    • Dona Oja
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2004
        Oh! Thank you! This makes perfect sense. I will have to try this...
        Am now trying to figure out what I am going to make that this stitch
        would be good embellishment for.

        Dona

        -- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Krystal Ruth
        Morgan" <krystalmorgan@w...> wrote:
        > quoted from "The Anchor Manual of Needlework" p. 445:
        > ISBN 0-934026-59-9
        >
        > "Curl stituch consists of a cord in relief. To work this stitch
        make a
        > row of Running Stitches, taking up five or six threads of material
        and
        > leaving the same number. Then make a second row to cover the
        spaces, as
        > in Holbein Stitch. Work over the running stitches by oversewing so
        that
        > any unevenness is avoided, and lastly work Cording Stitch, without
        > taking up the threads of fabric, so that the effect is that of a
        cord in
        > relief."
        >
        > I think this means to work a row of double running stitch, as you
        would
        > for blackwork embroidery. The book doesn't have an entry for Cording
        > Stitch, but it sounds like you are supposed to slip the needle
        under a
        > running stitch, and wrap the thread around the stitch several times,
        > lining up the wraps so that it looks like a cord, or a curl..
        >
        > Baroness Morgana de Mont-St-Michel
      • Kiara/Chiara Fagni
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
          Sounds exactly like a whipped double running stitch to me. Learned it
          in an advanced blackwork class and have seen it in several embroidery
          books.\

          Here is whipped running stitch
          http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/running-whiped.html
          just make it double running and you have curl stitch.

          --Kiara