Re: Questionable Brocade

  • Oonagh ONeill
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
      HI Cara,

      That is a really beautiful piece of fabric, and a great colour. I
      hope that 5 yards is enough for you. How wide is it? I usually use
      10meters of 110cm wide fabric for a Venetian gown, but they are very
      fabric hungry.

      My colour survey is for Venetian womens dress of 1540 - 1600 only.
      Not before that.

      I agree with the person who said that the mantle looks like a semi
      circle with arm slits and lining. That portrait looks very spanish
      to me. I am to tired at the moment to go searching for stuff sorry.
      so if it has a strong spanish influence you could be looking at a
      minimum cross cultural influences if not purely spanish.

      Hope it all works out beautifully for you.

      Cheers

      Deb
      (Oonagh)

      Oonagh's Own
      http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au

      Now off to bed so I can tackel my essays fresh in the morning. 2
      weeks left of university for the year......

      --- In
      Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "saralee20032000"
      <sara36ddlee@h...> wrote:

      > Greetings All,
      >
      > Recently I jumped at some fabric on Ebay and got five yards for
      > an insanely low price. Wanted to make a dress out of it and for
      once
      > I'm doing the research BEFORE I jump right in. I wanted to make a
      > 1500's or so Italian Ren dress, but in looking at the colors
      > mentioned on Onnagh's (I hope I got that right) site, and a ton of
      > paintings, I'm begining to think this is not something thats gonna
      > work.
      > I'm trying to make something that would be acceptable for SCA
      > functions, so I'm really trying to "get it right". Might I ask,
      > anyone who has the time to go to the photos page and look at the
      > fabric on the second page marked "Question"? The color is not
      exactly
      > right there. It's a bit more turqoisish than that, but please...
      tell
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
        [Oonagh]I agree with the person who said that the mantle looks like a semi
        circle with arm slits and lining. That portrait looks very spanish
        to me. I am to tired at the moment to go searching for stuff sorry.
        so if it has a strong spanish influence you could be looking at a
        minimum cross cultural influences if not purely spanish.

        ~~~~~~~
        [Lyse]I had asked if it was Italian or Portuguese as the woman is from
        Portugal. I like the black outfit in the picture.
      • chirurgeon@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
          I haven't seen the portrait you are talking about, but my former apprentice
          sister has been researching a garment called a Luca. We made one for her
          laurel cloak at Pennsic. Half circle with a slit for an arm hole and the other
          side is draped over the arm. I have the instructions somewhere. Post
          pennsic Ivan induced water in the sewing room/library has things in a bit of a
          disarray. I hate ripping up carpet when you have 30,000 piece of furniture on
          top of it. At least the wet stuff is gone and I didnt lose any books or fabirc.

          Caitlyn fitz Robert
          MOL