[Italian Renaissance Costuming] Giornea

  • Nappa, Greta A, WHICS
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
      Greetings all,

      A very dear friend of mine (and unfortunately - she's not on this
      list), Mistress Kamilla van Anderlecht (SCA) has done some wonderful
      research on the Giornea. She has made one (from a wonderful silk
      brocade) and she looked like she walked out of a Ghirlandaio painting.
      :) I will try to describe what she did (the errors are my own - not
      hers - she's conquered it - I believe :) :) ).

      By cross-referencing info from the "Dressing Renaissance Florence" book
      - she came up with the following . . . A Giornea would take large
      amounts of fabric (assumption is that the silk brocade would be very
      narrow). Take 6 panels of approx. 22 inch wide material - each panel
      approx. 9 - 11 feet long (depending on your height). Sew these 6
      panels together length-wise. You now have a REALLY big rectangle. You
      would also leave an opening in the middle of the middle 2 pieces (for
      your head). Drape this over a dress dummy. Watch how the material
      falls to the ground. Adjust the middle opening to get the correct drape
      (lower opening in the front - higher up in the back). All you really
      need to do for the arm area - is just cut basically a slit from the
      bottom of the material (side) up to the shoulder (you can certainly do
      a little shaping here - but not much). Then just cut off the excess at
      the bottom for an even hem - and you're looking right. I think I posted
      a picture of her in her Giornea earlier (she's on the right - Files
      section: Muriel) I've also uploaded a very simple diagram of what her
      Giornea pattern looks like (also in the Files section: Muriel).

      The picture I have of the two of us - just doesn't really do justice to
      her Giornea. I'm going to try and take a nicer one, one-of-these days -
      and I'll post it then.

      Hope this helps!
      Muriel
    • APrice
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
        > I've also uploaded a very simple diagram of what her
        >Giornea pattern looks like (also in the Files section: Muriel).

        >Hope this helps!
        >Muriel

        I would absolutely LOVE to see this diagram...but unfortunately it is not opening up for some reason. :(

        Isabella

      • murielvh2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2004
          I made another version of the diagram - this time in MS Word. Make
          sure you scroll down to get the verbiage.
          (sorry about the .ppt file not working so well - I wasn't able to
          open it the first time either - but now it opens for me. huh??)

          regards,
          Muriel
        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2004

            > I made another version of the diagram - this time in MS Word. Make
            > sure you scroll down to get the verbiage.
            > (sorry about the .ppt file not working so well - I wasn't able to
            > open it the first time either - but now it opens for me. huh??)

            sometimes with .ppt files, you have to do a Save As and then open.
            I've seen this problems with .pdf files too.

            Jerusha
          • Catherine de Gray
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2004
              Thank you all for your responses, I think I have my outfit planned!

              Going off to peruse yet more paintings,

              ~ Catherine