Re: hello and my 1st costume

  • Susan Griner
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2004
      Your garb is off to a great start. I love that there are commercial
      patterns available so new sewers/ costumers can begin with a nicer
      costume than some (me!) started with.
      Lucrezia
      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "katherine"
      <vendea06@y...> wrote:
      > hello everyone!
      >
      > i've been a member for probably a few weeks but never posted.
      Italian
      > Ren garb is some of the prettiest, i think so i attempted my first
      > costume using a simplicity pattern (i'm not good enough to draft
      > yet!). it's a normal old cotton dress, but thoughts/critique would
      be
      > appreciated!
      >
      > http://www.misspixie.tk
      >
      > thanks! :)
    • Susan Griner
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2004
        --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Muireall
        Wallace <argent_unicorn@y...> wrote:
        > 2. On a gather held by ribbon, how do you keep the ribbon threaded
        in when it is being washed without losing it into the seam? I am to
        the point of unthreading everything before washing and rethreading
        after drying. Time-consuming and irritating if I forget to pull the
        ribbon. Is there a easier way?
        I thread my casing then tie one knot, left over right. Then I tie an
        overhand knot joining the ends of my cord together. I tie a bow with
        two loops between the two knots when i wish to tighten it. Oh dear,
        This sounds much more complicated than it is.
        Also, on some of my skirts, the cord is sewn in place on the center
        back seam and they never come unstrung.
        That said, I am now convinced that they did not use drawstrings and
        have stopped making my chemises with them (Although, I am continuing
        to wear my old chemises until they self destruct).
        Lucrezia
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2004
          I have a couple of questions regarding this portrait, which you can see here....

          <http://www.geocities.com/audreybm_costumes/laudomia/index.htm>

          1. I know the portrait is supposed to be of Laudomia de Medici, painted probably by Agnolo
          Bronzino between 1560 and 1565 - does anyone have any definitive information on this?

          2. Is this really Laudomia de Medici? I was under the impression that this style of gown was
          French, although I can't say why exactly. In trying to discover if Laudomia married into a French
          family, I have found only that a Laudomia was born in 1510 and died in 1558 at the age of 48. The
          portrait looks to be of a style some years after she would have died, and the above dating backs
          that up, but that means it is someone other than Laudomia. :-)

          =====
          Signora Bella Lucia da Verona
          The Realm of Venus: http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net

          http://au.movies.yahoo.com
        • comrion
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 13, 2004
            --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Bella
            <bella_lucia_da_verona@y...> wrote:
            > I have a couple of questions regarding this portrait, which you
            can see here....

            > <http://www.geocities.com/audreybm_costumes/laudomia/index.htm>
            >
            > 1. I know the portrait is supposed to be of Laudomia de Medici,
            painted probably by Agnolo
            > Bronzino between 1560 and 1565 - does anyone have any definitive
            information on this?

            > 2. Is this really Laudomia de Medici? I was under the impression
            that this style of gown was French, although I can't say why
            exactly. In trying to discover if Laudomia married into a French
            > family, I have found only that a Laudomia was born in 1510 and
            died in 1558 at the age of 48.<<

            The portrait looks to be of a style some years after she would have
            died, and the above dating backs
            > that up, but that means it is someone other than Laudomia. :-)

            Bella,

            This portrait, and variations are well represented in Karla
            Langedijk book entitled, "The Portraits of the Medici, 15th-18th
            Centuries". Thats about as definitive as I get on this, :) as the
            book is rather complete in representing portraits, woodcuts and
            drawings of just about every member of the Major and Minor branches
            of the family. A majority of which I have never seen anywhere else.

            Cannot speak for the style of dress but, she married into strong
            Italian family ties in both her marriages. The first being to
            Alammani Salviati and the second to Piero Strozzi(sometimes listed
            as Pietro). I can say with conviction that the dates you have listed
            are not the birth and death of Laudomia but rather, her second
            husband Piero Strozzi, exiled Florentine who took up arms against
            Duke Cosimo I, lost the battle of Siena and took service as
            Commander with, and died under the French King.

            Don Giulio de Medici
            Cavaliere Dell'Ordine de Santo Stefano
            Guild San Lorenzo(rpfs)
          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 13, 2004

              > This portrait, and variations are well represented in Karla
              > Langedijk book entitled, "The Portraits of the Medici, 15th-18th
              > Centuries". Thats about as definitive as I get on this, :) as the
              > book is rather complete in representing portraits, woodcuts and
              > drawings of just about every member of the Major and Minor branches
              > of the family. A majority of which I have never seen anywhere else.

              Are the pictures in this book in color?

              Jerusha
            • comrion
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 14, 2004
                --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer
                <sfarmer@s...> wrote:

                > Are the pictures in this book in color?
                >
                > Jerusha<<

                Unfortunately no, I believe it was printed in the late 60's but, the
                information that it provides is really great. It should be available
                at most University or College libraries and I know that I have sets
                for sale for between $400 - 1000.

                I think I'm going to hold off and just be happy with the photocopied
                set I have:)

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 14, 2004
                  >>It should be available at most University or College libraries and
                  I know that I have sets for sale for between $400 - 1000.<<

                  That should read: "that I have SEEN sets for sale for between $400 -
                  1000 dollars.