Re: striped fabrics

  • ACatelli@manafortbrothers.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1, 2004
      Caravaggio's The Cardsharps c. 1596 shows a piced set of breeches on the
      younger sharp--the seam allowance showed through on the gold sections &
      Caravaggio painted it right in.

      The painting tends to be hung with the younger cardsharp's butt right at my
      eye level, so it was kind of obvious in person, and now that I know to look,
      can frequently be seen in reproductions.
      The Web Gallery of Art repro. shows the seam allowance shading, for example.

      Ann in CT
    • Janie
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 25, 2004
        --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, comrion
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Kay I've been floating around the web some and found some really
        > neat stuff dealing with measurements. So the question is how many
        > inches does 64 cm translate too???
        >
        > I'm old and never grasped the whole metric thing lol :)
        >
        > Don Giulio de Medici

        I thought this might be of help to the "metrically challenged" among
        us. Take out your fabric measuring tape. Check to see if it is
        metric on one side, English (inches) on the other. If not, time to
        purchase a new tape. Find the measurement in question on one side,
        then flip over to find the conversion. I was shown this technique
        years ago for figuring out key hole necklines, which must be
        quartered in the computations. It is much easier to figure out one-
        fourth of 32 cm than 12 5/8 inches!

        In service,
        Lady Gwendolyn Fitch