The May Italian Showcase

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
      Greetings good gentles all,

      I am pleased to present to you for your enjoyment the May Showcase costumer - Aliana Blackram.

      Alaina was voted by the viewers of The Realm of Venus as the recipient of the Copper Rose Award
      for third place in last year's Italian Showcase of the Year Awards, and I am happy to bring to you
      another of her splendid creations - an Italian jerkin/doublet over-gown, circa 1580.

      Aliana was initially not going to showcase this outfit, as she is working on another, more
      splendid version of the same style. But she has kindly allowed me to Showcase it at the last
      minute to fill in for the scheduled costumer. I am sure you will agree that it is well worth
      showing off!

      So, without further ado...

      <http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/yourgarb/showcase.htm>

      The Italian Showcase is now offically booked solid for the rest of the year! But please don't let
      that stop you. If you've got an Italian creation you would like Showcased next year - email me!
      Get in now, get in early - first in, best dressed, so to speak. :-)

      =====
      Signora Bella Lucia da Verona

      The Realm of Venus: The Clothing and Accessories of the Women of 16th Century Venice
      http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net
      Italian Showcase of the Year Awards 2003: VIEW THE WINNERS!!

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • Lauren M
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2004
        Good Morning, I have been "inspired" again I could really use some help. I am about to begin construction on my first Italian Renaissance gown, but there are many things I want to add to the garb that I can't find any documentation for. I would like to add a small cape or cloak like the one found at this site, but I can't figure out how it is attached to the garment from this picture (the lady on the left):

        http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Renaissance/Town/Clothing/Clothing%20Gifs/Florentine1450lg.JPG

        So, I dug a little more and found this picture, which doesn't look entirely accurate, but at least its an idea (1st costume in purple):
        http://www.enchantedcostumes.com/renaissance_costumes.shtml

        I was thinking of modeling it after the 18th century Watteau, but closer to the cape worn by Marie Antoinette in this picture (front left):

        http://www.geocities.com/marieantoinette1755big2a/marie108.jpg

        Has anyone tried this or seen this before? Could you offer any suggestions? Thank you.

        -Loria

      • Kiara
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2004
          Unfortunately this is a redrawing based on some other paintings from the 1480s

          If you look at some of ghirlandaio's paintings http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/ghirlandaio/index.html
          or http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/ghirlandaio_domenico.html
          you will see a better representation of this cloak.

          I am still researching as to whether this is a half circle or a rectangular cloak. As far as how it is attached, so far it seems like they held it in place according to the paintings. I have found some extant brooches that are awfullly big and could have been used to pin cloaks in place, but the dating of them isn't accurate enough to encompass just one decade.

          One of these days when I have the time I am going ot attempt to reproduce the folds made with the cloaks in the paintings with my halfcircle cloak and a rectangular cloak. Then I will post as to which I think it is *S*

          --Kiara

          Lauren M <earthiemars@...> wrote:
          Good Morning, I have been "inspired" again I could really use some help. I am about to begin construction on my first Italian Renaissance gown, but there are many things I want to add to the garb that I can't find any documentation for. I would like to add a small cape or cloak like the one found at this site, but I can't figure out how it is attached to the garment from this picture (the lady on the left):

          http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Renaissance/Town/Clothing/Clothing%20Gifs/Florentine1450lg.JPG

        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2004

            > Good Morning, I have been "inspired" again I could really use some help. I am about to begin construction on my first Italian Renaissance gown, but there are many things I want to add to the garb that I can't find any documentation for. I would like to add a small cape or cloak like the one found at this site, but I can't figure out how it is attached to the garment from this picture (the lady on the left):
            >
            > http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Renaissance/Town/Clothing/Clothing%20Gifs/Florentine1450lg.JPG

            It's not attached. It's just flung over her shoulder. That image is
            from the Dover Book by Braun and Schneider (alas, the Dover copy is
            not in color!)

            Jerusha
          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2004
              Look at the sleeves on this gown!

              http://www.magdalene.org/lamentation/lotto.htm

              Jerusha
            • adizzymonkee
              Message 6 of 9 , May 13, 2004
                Salve,

                I come from lurkdom because something about this picture ...

                http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Renaissance/Town/Clothing/
                Clothing%20Gifs/Florentine1450lg.JPG

                reminded me of my last national guard company party. Fool as I am,
                I researched the theme fairly well. Quite frankly, the picture
                reminds me of a Simplicity pattern picture, showing 3 different ways
                of presenting a simple pattern... but I digress. The cape on the
                dress to the left is clearly a Toga. I suppose, considering Rome
                WAS based in Italy, it probably isn't a huge stretch to think it
                would be a fashion considered, at least for a Simplicity pattern.

                Donato.... who quickly dissapears back into lurkdom to hide his
                total ignorance,,,,,,,,,,
              • Karen K. Lee
                Message 7 of 9 , May 14, 2004
                  At 11:29 PM 5/13/2004 -0400, you wrote:

                  >Look at the sleeves on this gown!
                  >
                  > http://www.magdalene.org/lamentation/lotto.htm
                  >
                  >Jerusha

                  OMG, that looks like a patchwork quilt with crazy quilting embellishments!

                  ~Ginevra, also a quilter

                • Katie Pleasance
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 14, 2004
                    I think the 'cape' on the left is a rectangular cloth/blanket used as a
                    wrap almost everywhere in the world. In this case, it's gussied up some,
                    but it's still just a rectangular blanket. Chop it down considerably and
                    make it out of fur and you have the classic '50s fur stole that I remember
                    my mother wearing on fancy occasions ... and another ragged one that I
                    remember using when playing dress-up as a child.

                    As always, my opinion.

                    Katie

                    At 04:17 AM 5/14/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Salve,
                    >
                    >I come from lurkdom because something about this picture ...
                    >
                    >http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Renaissance/Town/Clothing/
                    >Clothing%20Gifs/Florentine1450lg.JPG
                    >
                    >reminded me of my last national guard company party. Fool as I am,
                    >I researched the theme fairly well. Quite frankly, the picture
                    >reminds me of a Simplicity pattern picture, showing 3 different ways
                    >of presenting a simple pattern... but I digress. The cape on the
                    >dress to the left is clearly a Toga. I suppose, considering Rome
                    >WAS based in Italy, it probably isn't a huge stretch to think it
                    >would be a fashion considered, at least for a Simplicity pattern.
                    >
                    >Donato.... who quickly dissapears back into lurkdom to hide his
                    >total ignorance,,,,,,,,,,
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Phoebe
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 24, 2007
                      Greetings fellow Italian Renaissance Personas,

                      I am writing to ask for assistance. I have a ball to attend and am having the worst time
                      constructing a gown. It has been years since I have made an Italian gown and am working on
                      making a Venetian style gown from the 1550's. Does anyone know of an online pattern or
                      pattern generator ?

                      In service to my kingdom, my principality and my barony,
                      Porzia della Scala

                      I'm sorry if you receive this twice.