generic Italian renn gown for prom

  • rosenau5
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2004
      Hello all,
      I need help. My eldest daughter wants an Italian Renn dress for
      her prom dress. We're looking at the v-neck gown from the Medieval
      Miscellanea Italian Renn gown with a dark underdress and a light
      overdress with dark tie-on sleeves. We're starting with a linen
      shift with extra long sleeves so they will puff out between the
      sleeve sections. I'm assuming that somewhere there is a painting
      that the pattern is based on and could someone send me a link? I'm
      also assuming that this is a separate dress with an overdress. We're
      going with duponi silk for the dresses which I don't think is quite
      period but it is available locally at a do-able price and she can
      pick colors and make second choices if they don't have enough
      yardage. She intends to join the SCA soon so I thought I would
      document as I went in case she needs documentation later for
      something.
      Do I need to line the underdress? I'm assuming a linen lining for
      the overdress just to keep the dark underdress from showing through
      too much. How do I re-enforce the armscye edges for the lacing
      holes? I'm also assuming at least a bodice lining on the underdress
      to finish the bodice seams and the underdress armscye edges.
      If there are several portraits for this style of dress how are
      they trimmed? I've done men's Italian renn with piping and narrow
      braided cord which looked very good but I'm not sure about this style
      of dress. Could I pleat the skirt to the bodice instead of gathering
      or gauging? I thought a linen lining on the overdress would give me
      nice pleats but what about the underdress?
      As you can see, lots of question. I also have a fair amount of
      time to do this right as long as I start now. Any help or
      suggestions anxiously anticipated.
      Cassandra
    • Noelle Spanne
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2004
        Which view are you looking at? I can identify which ones they took
        it from, as I've scanned a bunch in from art books (Christmas
        presents!=0) I have some period pics already posted at
        <http:www.belleofthebay.com/silkitweddinggown.htm> scroll down to the
        bottom of the page and you'll see them. =0) I can't find my pattern
        envelope to see which view it is...
        Noelle
        --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "rosenau5"