Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] V-necked overdress

  • Lori Leppink
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 1, 2003
      Thanks again! I wish I lived in Calontir! I'd love to take your
      classes.

      Giovanna

      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda"
      <dakea@k...> wrote:
      > Thank you for clarifying the difference between gamurra and cotta.
      > Now, though, what is a pellanda?
      > What class did you teach?
      > Giovanna
      >
      > a pellanda is the italian equivalent of the Houpeland. they are cut
      very similar and you can find them in many paintings where women are
      wearing cotte, giornee and pellande...
      > In Paolo Ucello's birth of the virgin in the Duomo del Prato
      painted in 1435 you will see the high class ladies in pellande while
      the servant coming down the stairs to the side is wearing a little
      red gamurra.
      > in Ghirlandaio's Santa Maria Novella frescos most of the Tornabuoni
      ladies are shown in the fashion of the day, while the older women
      appear to be wearing pellande...
      > The class I have been teaching here in Calontir is 1400-1500
      Italian Female dress overview.
      > next costuming seminar in Barony of Forgotten Sea I will be
      teaching it and also a Pattern and Construction of the Gamurra/Cotta.
      > this pattern class is a draping pattern class.. therefore I can
      only have 6 students... I asked them if I could have a whole day
      workshop for that and they said it was not possible.

      > Amanda.
      > filia Luci

    • Amanda
      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 1, 2003
        Thanks again! I wish I lived in Calontir! I'd love to take your
        classes.

        Giovanna

        why thanks....! that brightens up my day...
        the draping class is not a new thing... if you have a good friend you can do it...
        the difference between my class and the instructions on the web on Tasha Kelly MacGann's site at http://www.cottesimple.com/ is that I will be constructing the bodice of the gamurra or cotta using the same process...
        My Laurel, Mistress Luciana di Ridolfi also uses draping as pattern making when necessary.
        I remember she was helping another apprentice of her make a pattern and I kept asking questions till I saw the pattern ready... I went... Ohhhh.... it was like a light lit inside my head.
        visit the the web site and check on the pattern making area ...it is called "Building the feminine silhouette. Once you see the curved seam instruction you will see how clear the similarities are between the Gamurra of some of the paintings and the pattern.

        I have been visiting the photos and files on the site for this list and I was very impressed with some of the dresses I saw there...
        Hooray for all those who do Italian so well...

        Amanda.
        filia Luci