OOPs! I deleted a post!

  • Aubergine_Dreams
    Message 1 of 61 , Jul 18, 2001
      Hi all, New member here :) I have re-posted my
      pic to the Album, originally entitled "Lady In Blue",
      now titled "Lady Victoria" There are a number of
      things wrong with this design, but since this is what
      the client ordered, this is what she
      got.<br><br>Firstly, the sleeves, as was previously pointed out, are
      incorrect. They are also too short for me, as my client was
      about 4" shorter, lol! If I had to do another Italian,
      I would not use these sleeves, but the
      upper-sleeve/gauntlet combo. Luckily, sleeves for the Italian Overgowns
      did not have to match the dress, and it was a great
      fashion to have heavily decorated sleeves, or one moreso
      than the other, to give as favors.<br><br>Secondly,
      the inverted "V" of the waistline is not totally
      correct either. To correct this, make the waist straight
      across or slightly "V" shaped, but not inverted, as it
      lends to a look of perpetual pregnancy for (at least
      me) most of us plush-sized women.<br><br>Thirdly,
      still on the bodice, draft out the bust darts. pinch
      the pattern together at the dart, mash the whole
      thing flat, and redraw it, fixing the waistline while
      you're at it :) The bodice on the dress I am wearing was
      not tight enough (and the zipper on my next one will
      be tossed out the window)but should plump the
      breasts and support them, without having to rely on a
      rather out-of-shape non-wired bra.<br><br>The skirt on
      an Italian is just a very long (about 4 yards of 45"
      or wider fabric) rectangle of fabric
      cartridge-pleated onto the waistband. Cartridge pleating is not as
      hard as it sounds, but it is a long process of
      handwork. If someone knows how to do it on a machine and
      have it look proper, please share the
      secret!<br><br>Above all, don't make the chemise and undergown
      (underskirt) as part of the gown, like the pattern says to.
      The chemise should be white, preferably linen, but
      cotton or muslin works if you are on a tight budget. Try
      to stay away from poly-cotton, as you will roast in
      it if you have hot weather. I like linen and silk
      because they are natural fibers and will keep you from
      heat exhaustion. I'll be posting a few fabric links
      where you can actually get these fabrics
      reasonably.<br><br>Whew! Is that enough info? I'm up for a discussion if
      anyone else is!
    • jaeson_drummond
      Message 61 of 61 , Mar 2, 2002
        As always, so many of us who enjoy the
        Renaissance -- esp. Italian -- consult the Web Gallery of
        searchable database of European painting and sculpture of
        the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods
        (1150-1800), currently containing over 9,200 reproductions."