Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] my gown progress

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2003
      --- Mary Connelly <bunnymom@...> wrote:
      <snip a great description of a work in progress>

      > I have not yet decided if I will attach the bodice and skirt permanently or if they will be
      > laced together. According to Janet Arnold's book, they were laced together. Any suggestions? I
      > am comfortable doing this either way.

      JA's book? Do you mean Pattern of Fashion? If that's the book you're referring to, you may be
      mis-reading it. According to JA in PoF the skirt was attached to the bodice. The *underbodice*,
      however, has small holes at the waistline which she theorises may have meant that an underskirt
      (no longer extant) was attached at some point. I don't think she means it was laced in - because
      that would mean a lacing strip would have been attached. There is no evidence on the underbodice
      of a lacing strip, although there is a small fragment of muddy green material, which may have been
      an edging or lining.

      Personally I feel it is plausible to have a lacing strip to lace an underskirt to the underbodice,
      and that small bit of fabric may have been one, despite evidence of eyelets. But it is attached to
      the underbodice, not the gown.

      =====

    • Mary Connelly
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2003
        Thank You Bella!!

        POF really can confuse me at times. I think I will go ahead and attach it then. I didn't think of doing an underskirt... if there is time, I will. If not, I will make it later. 12 days left to finish my family's investiture garb.

        It is coming right along. I can't wait to put on my finished gown. (I am thinking about putting off the addition of the gold and pearl partlet thing from the portrait, due to time constraints.)

        Francesca