What is it?

  • Su Ralston
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2003
      > Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:32:53 -0000
      > From: "Seraphina" <seraphina0121@...>
      > Subject: Re: Greetings to the list! And a bit of help needed!
      >
      > > That would be her kirtle/undergown. The blue is an overgarment.
      >
      > I realize that but, what is it? Is it knitted? Pleated? A
      > decorative stitching? It just looks really odd!

      Seraphina -

      I am assuming you are talking about the "striped" markings on the rosy-coral
      underdress and not the tassel on her rosary (that seems to be the same color
      and is hanging near her "right" sleeve)...

      It looks as if the fabric the underdress is made out of is either striped
      material or the sleeves may have been quilted in a corded design - something
      along the lines of trapunto quilting with the lines running from the cuff
      edge towards the elbow. This would provide some stiffness to the cuff to
      prevent curling or rolling, but would still be flexible enough to easily
      curve around the wrist.

      BTW - I don't know for sure and this is just conjecture based on looking at
      the picture, and experience with fabric, and fabric treatments.

      Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
      Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
    • Lisa Dennen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2003
        Thank you for your answer. I've gotten quite a few suggestions as to what this could be. Everything from a sweater to as you stated some sort of quilting! I'm thinking it is either a pleated sleeve or as you stated some sort of trapunto quilting.

        Now, to get this dress going! This will be my project for the winter.

        Thank you!

        Seraphina

        Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:

        I am assuming you are talking about the "striped" markings on the rosy-coral
        underdress and not the tassel on her rosary (that seems to be the same color
        and is hanging near her "right" sleeve)...

        It looks as if the fabric the underdress is made out of is either striped
        material or the sleeves may have been quilted in a corded design - something
        along the lines of trapunto quilting with the lines running from the cuff
        edge towards the elbow. This would provide some stiffness to the cuff to
        prevent curling or rolling, but would still be flexible enough to easily
        curve around the wrist.

        BTW - I don't know for sure and this is just conjecture based on looking at
        the picture, and experience with fabric, and fabric treatments.

        Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
        Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        A good friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting there, next to you in the cell saying "Damn...we really screwed up!"

        qui, mangi questo