Islanders NY Post 4/10/2000

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 11:55 AM
      MILBURY MAY SALE INTO SUNSET

      By BARRY BAUM

      Islanders 3 - Panthers 2

      Mike Milbury is savvy enough to realize his general manager days
      could be numbered once Charles Wang, as expected, buys the Islanders
      this week.

      But putting aside his potential demise, the usually glib Milbury said
      yesterday that the sale is imperative for the future of the
      deteriorated franchise.

      "For the sake of the franchise, for the sake of the players and for
      the sake of the [general] manager, whoever it is, it's time to stop
      this bleeding," Milbury said yesterday after the Islanders finished
      their season with a strong 3-2 victory against the playoff-bound
      Panthers before 9,316 at the Coliseum.

      "It's time that [the current owners] make a deal for the benefit of
      the organization. It's time to have a new approach for this team.
      It's time."

      Having been forced by current owners Ed and Howard Milstein and
      Steven Gluckstern to cut the team's payroll from last season by
      almost 40 percent, to $16.5 million, Milbury has been severely
      limited in his job to improve the club. As a result, the Islanders
      (24-49-9-1), who had a league-low average player age of 24, finished
      with the 26th-lowest point total in the league and missed the
      playoffs for the sixth consecutive season.

      So with Wang, the CEO of Computer Associates and a Long Island
      billionaire, preparing to finalize a deal to purchase the club for
      close to $180 million, Milbury called it "good news for our future."

      That is, of course, if Wang agrees to spend money. After buying the
      club for $195 million in 1998, the Milsteins and Gluckstern claimed
      that under terms of the team's lease with the Coliseum, and with the
      lack of fans showing up at the games, they were losing between $10-20
      million a year. As a result, they reduced payroll to minimize their
      losses.

      But with Wang expected to cut a favorable deal with Coliseum manager
      SMG to develop a new Coliseum and the surrounding 70 acres, it's
      likely that the new owner would not hesitate to inflate the payroll.

      "It would be an unfortunate circumstance if this doesn't go ahead,"
      said Milbury, who has three years left on his five-year $3.75 million
      contract.

      First-year coach Butch Goring's Isles finished with a better-than-
      expected 24 wins and 58 points, both of which equaled last season's
      totals.

      "We wanted to give the fans of Long Island hope and we wanted to give
      the players hope," Milbury said. "The building blocks are largely in
      place. It's been hard work to get to this point. A lot of pain. I
      think we made the best of a difficult situation."

      Two players emerged as budding stars: right wingers Mariusz
      Czerkawski and Brad Isbister. By scoring a hat trick yesterday,
      Czerkawski finished with a team-leading and career-high 35 goals and
      35 assists. Isbister, who missed 18 games with an ankle sprain, had
      an assist yesterday and concluded with 22 goals and 20 assists, both
      career-highs.