Comeau's Big Apple stay comes to a conclusion

  • islestigers
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      http://209.115.237.105/kelowna/publish/article_1858.php

      Comeau's Big Apple stay comes to a conclusion
      By Doyle Potenteau
      Monday, May 1, 2006, 12:00 AM

      Life in the American Hockey League lasted just seven games for Blake
      Comeau.

      Three weeks after getting called up by the Bridgeport Sound, the
      Tigers' playoff run came to a quick, first-round end on Saturday.
      For Comeau, it was the second time this month he suffered a post-
      season KO, the first taking place on April 16, when the Kelowna
      Rockets were booted from the WHL post-season by the Everett
      Silvertips.

      "We lost, but it was still a good experience," Comeau said Sunday
      from the New York Islanders' beach house on the Atlantic Coast.
      Twenty-four hours earlier, the Tigers were eliminated from the Calder
      Cup playoffs by the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Led by two former
      WHLers, the Penguins defeated Bridgeport 5-4 in Game 7 on home ice to
      win the series 4-3.

      Wilkes-Barre's win on Saturday was the only one by the home team in
      the series, and all seven games were decided by one goal, a first in
      the 70-year history of the Calder Cup.

      "We won all our three games in their building, and they won their
      (first) three in our building, so that was a bit strange." said
      Comeau, who was called up by the Connecticut club 12 hours after
      Kelowna's post-season elimination and just three days before the
      Tigers' playoffs began.

      "In Game 7, they got up on us a couple of goals, and even though we
      played well, we couldn't finish."

      In Game 7, former Brandon Wheat King Ryan Stone (Brandon) and ex-
      Prince George Cougar Jonathan Filewich both scored third-period goals
      for the Pens, who finished atop the East Division with a stellar
      record of 51-18-5-6, good for 113 points and third overall league-
      wise.

      Former Kamloops Blazer sniper Erik Christensen also plays for the
      Penguins, who will now face the Hershey Bears in second-round play
      beginning Thursday. Comeau, wearing his familiar No. 14, netted three
      assists through seven games for Bridgeport.

      "It would have been nice to play more, but it was still a good
      experience," said Comeau. "Wilkes-Barre was fun to play in; they had
      crowds between eight and nine thousand. At Bridgeport, we had about
      2,500 a game."

      Also bigger were the paycheques he received. As a veteran with the
      Rockets, the 20-year-old winger took home around $120 every two
      weeks. With Bridgeport, the Tigers paid him $200 a game plus per
      diems.

      "Actually, making the adjustment to the AHL was easier than I thought
      it'd be," said Comeau. "Now we have some exit meetings with (New York
      Islanders') general manager Mike Milbury on Tuesday and then I'll be
      going home to Kelowna sometime in the week. Now that the playoffs are
      over, I'm itching to get back to see family and friends."

      ICE CHIPS: While Comeau's playoff run is over, several former Rockets
      are still in the postseason hunt in the NHL. They include: Vaclav
      Varada (Ottawa Senators), Brett McLean (Colorado Avalanche), Scott
      Hannan, Josh Gorges, Scott Parker and Kyle McLaren (San Jose Sharks),
      Shea Weber and Vern Fiddler (Nashville Predators), Chuck Kobasew,
      Richie Regehr and Carsen Germyn (Calgary Flames), Todd Fedoruk and
      Travis Moen (Anaheim Mighty Ducks), and Sheldon Souray (Montreal
      Canadiens).