Islanders NY Times 11-1-2000

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2000
      ISLANDERS 4, BRUINS 2
      Vanbiesbrouck Helps Isles Turn Back Bruins
      By DAVE CALDWELL

      UNIONDALE, N.Y., Oct. 31 — Butch Goring announced late tonight that
      he had hollered himself hoarse. He said he had yelled at his Islander
      players to shoot, shoot, shoot the puck, and that only the Boston
      Bruins seemed to be listening to him.

      These, however, are the new Islanders — or at least the recharged and
      resourceful Islanders. And although they played a listless first
      period, the Islanders made their chances count and beat the Bruins, 4-
      2, before 6,418 fans at Nassau Coliseum.

      The Islanders (4-3-2-0) extended their unbeaten streak to five games,
      with four victories and a tie. The last time the Islanders were
      unbeaten in a five-game stretch was early in 1998.

      "You know things have changed," Goring said. "In the past we would
      have lost the hockey game."

      The Islanders, who were outshot by 34-13, did not have John
      Vanbiesbrouck in the past. Vanbiesbrouck is 37 years old and has
      changed teams twice in two years, but he can still keep his team in a
      game with some terrific saves. He stopped 16 shots in a hairy first
      period and foiled two breakaways in the second.

      "We deserved to be in a better position than we were," Boston Coach
      Mike Keenan said.

      The Islanders, who were booed as they left the ice for the first
      intermission, found their range, as well as some luck, in the second
      period.

      Kenny Jonsson scored their first goal, at 3 minutes 11 seconds of the
      second period, after Mats Lindgren fanned on a tape-to-tape pass in
      the slot. The puck wobbled to Jonsson, who scored because Boston
      goaltender Andrew Raycroft had moved to stop Lindgren.

      Dave Scatchard scored the third Islanders goal, when his shot somehow
      went between Raycroft's legs at 14:47 of the second period. Scatchard
      missed his grandfather's funeral in Saskatchewan today. He said his
      grandmother told him to score a goal in his grandfather's memory.

      "She didn't want to take me away from the team," Scatchard said.

      Vanbiesbrouck lost his shutout 26 seconds into the third period, and
      Boston's Joe Thornton scored with 1:07 left in regulation to make the
      score 3-2. But Brad Isbister scored an open-net goal for the
      Islanders at 19:27 of the third period.

      "I think we're at least learning what it takes to keep the lead,"
      Goring said.