Blackhawks hire Yawney as head coach

  • billbarrisles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129843

      Blackhawks hire Yawney as head coach

      Sports Ticker
      7/7/2005 11:58:39 AM

      CHICAGO (Ticker) - The Chicago Blackhawks are counting on former
      player Trent Yawney to turn around their fortunes.

      The Blackhawks on Thursday named Yawney, who played with the club on
      two occasions, the 35th coach in team history.

      The move comes barely two weeks after the Blackhawks named Dale
      Tallon as general manager and he immediately fired coach Brian
      Sutter.

      The 39-year-old Yawney, who played for the team from 1988-91 and 1997-
      98, had spent the past five seasons as the coach of Chicago's
      American Hockey League affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals, guiding them
      to five consecutive playoff appearances. Last season, the team set
      franchise records for wins (43) and points (93).

      "We're delighted to have Trent as the new head coach of the Chicago
      Blackhawks," Blackhawks president William W. Wirtz said. "Trent has
      done everything the Blackhawks have asked of him as both a player and
      as the head coach at Norfolk. We plan to have a young team and we
      feel that Trent fits the Blackhawks like a match made in heaven
      because he will have coached many of our players for two or three
      years."

      "I'm excited about Trent accepting our offer to take over as the new
      head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks," Tallon said. "This is another
      step in the right direction and in moving forward to where we want to
      go. Trent is innovative, creative, and will bring a fresh approach
      to the Blackhawks. I feel that a fresh look is vital to the growth
      of our organization."

      During the 2003-04 campaign, the last before labor woes wiped out
      this past season, the Blackhawks were a Western Conference-worst 20-
      43-11.

      "I am honored and excited about the opportunity that the Blackhawks
      have presented to me," Yawney said. "My career has come full
      circle. I was drafted by the Blackhawks in 1984, ended my playing
      career with the Blackhawks, coached at Norfolk, which is the
      Blackhawks American Hockey League affiliate, and now have come back
      to coach the Blackhawks at the NHL level.

      "To be able to coach some of these players again and compete for the
      Stanley Cup is pretty neat."