Milbury arrives at Grand Forks...

  • billbarrisles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/10547826.htm

      Posted on Sun, Jan. 02, 2005

      Devils happy with Parise, Zajac

      The New Jersey Devils director of scouting, David Conte, stepped foot
      into Ralph Engelstad Arena with Devils president-general manager Lou
      Lamoriello for the first time Saturday.

      The Devils have a unique connection with the UND hockey program, as
      they have drafted a Sioux player with three of their last four first-
      round picks.

      New Jersey took David Hale (22nd overall) in 2000, Zach Parise (17th
      overall) in 2003 and Travis Zajac (20th overall) in 2004. The Devils
      didn't have a first-round pick in 2002.

      Are the Devils poised to pick another Sioux player in the next draft?

      "You never know," Conte said.

      "This is my first time I've been in this building," Conte added,
      speaking of REA. "It's spectacular. Now we'll want to make sure we
      don't take too many. Now we know they are spoiled."

      He also said the Devils are happy with the progress of Parise and
      Zajac.

      Parise is playing with the Albany River Rats in the American Hockey
      League this season. He is their leading scorer with five goals and 21
      assists in 31 games.

      "He's doing well. He's doing very well," Conte said. "The team needs
      to be doing a little better, but he's doing very well."

      Zajac, meanwhile, leads UND in goals as a freshman. He is second on
      the team in scoring.

      "(UND) is the right place for him," Conte said, "and he's progressing
      appropriately and to everyone's satisfaction. Hopefully he's
      satisfied with it, too."

      Hale is progressing into a regular on New Jersey's blue line. Last
      season he played in 65 games. He had four assists and a plus-minus
      rating of plus-12.

      Notes and quotes

      One of the new NHL bigwigs in town is Mike Milbury, the general
      manager of the New York Islanders. Milbury used to coach the team ...