Here are my Rankings for Islander MVP:
1- Adrian Aucoin- Worthy of Norris Trophy consideration.
2- Kenny Jonsson- Lidstrom-Lite. I never thought he could have a season like this where he has only missed 1 game all season(knock on wood). Kenny should be awarded a PHD; a doctorate of defense.
3- Trent Hunter- Every good team needs to have a player to come out of nowhere to have a big season and Trent has done that and more. Probably the teams most physical forward. As Bill said the knee injury has really slowed him down and will cost him the Calder Trophy. The amount of clutch goals he scored this year ranks 2nd behind only Peca from 01'-02' season.
4- Jason Blake- It's a real shame that he got injured. He was on his way to being considered for Player of Month for March. A great PK'er and leads league in empty net goals.
5- Michael Peca- Only recently started hitting and scoring but his mere presence is invaluable.
6- Mark Parrish- Another player who had his season ruined by injury. 35 goals would have been reachable. And now has become a solid penalty killer.
7- Rick DiPietro- Ricky has finally arrived. Has had moments of brainlock where he wonders out of the net but all in all is a vaulable penalty killer even when he doesn't make a save. How do you rate the value of saving Kenny Jonsson and our other defenseman from being smashed in the corners on dump-ins. I was really worried last year when his confidence completely vanished but now can match up w/ the games best goalie's.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 5:48 PM
Subject: [Islanders-SoundTigers] Islanders MVP-Nystrom Award...
Was curious with Sunday coming and the final home game, it's time to
name an MVP for this team and pick a Nystrom award winner.
To me I think it goes to Kenny Jonsson. I think has been the most
consistent player from beginning to end, even when he was not scoring
early he was very solid on defense.
You can make a case for all of these players for how they did at
points. Without each contribution the Isles would not be where they
In no order:
1. Garth Snow-December goaltending took the team from three under
with an impossible schedule where it looked like it would be tough to
stay only three under but somehow went to three games over five
2. Bates-Was the best player early and carried every line he was on.
3. Hunter-Was outstanding from the point he got a regular shift until
he was hit knee on knee.
4. Aucoin-Almost as steady as Jonsson, scoring now in bunches and
5. DiPietro-stole games with incredible goaltending, few bad games
since he took the job from Snow, seemingly for good.
6. Parrish-what he did in December and is doing now.
7. Mike Milbury's incredible job as gm (April fool's) ok, he got
Ronning and gave the team a vote of confidence.
8. Butenschon's game in game out steady play, see the difference when
Karpovtsev was in?
9. Czerkawski's scoring early and in mid-season, without it the
Islanders are not where they are.
10. Yashin's hot streak in December.
11. Kvasha setting career highs and stepping up into the number one
center's spot in Yashin's absence.
12. Peca's defense and leadership has been solid and only getting
better, he is also now contributing big plays on offense.
13. Cairns enforcing has been solid.
14. Blake off right wing has had some amazing games, the numbers are
on par with last season even playing left wing.
15. Scatchard's return did not provide goals but seemed to settle the
room in December.
16. Hamrlik's game the last month and him stepping into the offense.
17. Improved play from Niinimaa.
18. Stirling's coaching from beginning to end without a true first
line or clear-cut number one goalie.
19. Ronning's clutch contributions.
What would your Islander list look like?
This is Islander-Sound Tiger Country.
Check out the Sound Tigers Booster club at: http://www.soundtigerboosters.com
To change how you receive mail from this group please go to the list homepage at:
THIS IS ISLANDER-SOUND TIGER COUNTRY
Yahoo! Groups Links
a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]