Islanders 6, Penguins 1 Notables...

  • billbarrisles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      Solid effort, solid win. Hard work brings some breaks and the
      Islanders made a few of them bounce into Pittsburgh's net.

      High marks to everyone all around in this game. It may be Pittsburgh,
      but the Pens shutout Chicago 1-0 in their previous game and Chicago
      shutout Detroit.

      Anyone can beat anyone on a given night and Pittsburgh got points
      against Ottawa and New Jersey this season.

      Jason Blake is flying without that brace. Great work and fear-less
      for a small player when he see's a chance. Hunter two more goals,
      Kvasha a nice shorthanded goal. Snow and the defense did the job and
      Hamrlik looked good and went to the net on offense.

      Happy New Year indeed. Four over five-hundred. Fighting for sixth
      overall.

      Only downside was if Peca cannot play vs Ottawa with a groin problem
      and a brutal call to rob Peca of a goal. I can accept the call if
      it's reviewed but to not even bother when it was clear it was close
      is just poor officiating, IMO. Why not make sure?

      This ref blew his whistle for a high-stick that never happened but
      Peca never touched the puck, perhaps he is not allowed to go to
      review for that, but the explanation given was the officials did not
      choose to review it.

      I don't know. All I do know is the 3-0 goal really took away all hope
      for Pittsburgh and Stirling's reaction said it all, he wanted that
      3-0 lead going into the dressing room. Blake got it for him anyway.

      After that the Isles just really coasted and took the game. Kind of
      win where maybe they save something for Ottawa, which is going to be
      very tough because they are on a roll like the Isles.

      Bill