Sound Tiger News Articles 11-2-2003: Fantastic Finish...

  • billbarrisles
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      http://www.soundtigers.com/news/release_110103.htm

      SOUND TIGERS RALLY TO BEAT UTAH 2-1 IN OT
      Mapletoft ties it late & Kraft wins it early in extra session.

      WEST VALLEY CITY, UT - The American Hockey League's Bridgeport Sound
      Tigers, top affiliate of the National Hockey League's New York
      Islanders, scored two goals 1:40 apart to tie and then beat the Utah
      Grizzlies 2-1 in overtime on the road Saturday. With the win, the
      Sound Tigers swept a two-game weekend series in Utah in their only
      Western Conference road trip of the season. They are also on a three-
      game winning streak on the road and are unbeaten in regulation in
      five straight games overall at 4-0-0-1.

      Utah opened the scoring 3:27 into the first period with a shorthanded
      goal by Mattias Tjarnqvist, his second goal of the season, during the
      first power play of the night. Bubba Berenzweig and Justin Cox
      assisted on the play.

      Both goaltenders, Wade Dubielewicz of the Sound Tigers and Utah's
      Jason Bacashihua, played well during a scoreless but up-tempo second
      period in which the Grizzlies had a 14-13 shots on goal advantage.

      Less than a minute after killing a late Utah power play, the Sound
      Tigers tied the game as Justin Mapletoft redirected a Cail MacLean
      shot for his fourth goal of the season to tie the game at 1-1 with
      1:10 left to play. Blaine Down, making his first appearance of the
      year following off-season shoulder surgery, also assisted on the
      equalizer which extended Mapletoft's point-scoring streak to eight
      games.

      The Sound Tigers then completed the comeback on a beautiful goal by
      Ryan Kraft just 30 seconds into overtime. Kraft, who upped a goal-
      scoring to three games on the play, took a feed from Captain Alan
      Letang, crossed the Utah blue line and blasted a turn-around slap
      shot past Bacashihua for his third goal of the season.

      The Sound Tigers were 0 for 5 on the power play and 2 for 2 on the
      penalty kill. They outshot Utah 33-30 including 14-2 in the third
      period and 1-0 in overtime.

      Dubielewicz made 29 saves for his second win in as many appearances.
      Bacashihua made 31 saves in a losing effort.

      Kraft was the first star of the game, Utah Defenseman Jeff MacMillan
      the second, and Tjarnqvist the third.
      ********************************
      http://www2.sltrib.com/grizz/main/index.asp

      Hockey: Bridgeport bursts Grizzlies' bubble
      By Martin Renzhofer
      The Salt Lake Tribune

      WEST VALLEY CITY -- Talk about taking the air out of the balloon.
      Bridgeport popped Utah's with the suddenness of a pin prick.

      The Sound Tigers scored with 1:10 left to play to tie the game
      Saturday night, then won it 30 seconds into overtime, 2-1, in the E
      Center.

      Ryan Kraft's blistering slap shot near the blue line zipped past
      Utah goalie Jason Bacashihua's left shoulder, giving Bridgeport (4-3-
      2-1) its second straight victory over the Grizzlies (2-5-1-2).
      The lightning finish negated an outstanding performance by
      Bacashihua, and once more highlighted Utah's glaring weakness, a lack
      of offense. The Grizzlies have yet to score more than two goals in
      any game this year. They netted two Friday.

      Bacashihua and the Utah defense deserved better.

      "It is a concern," said Utah coach Don Hay. "Some teams are not
      blessed with gifted goal scorers. We're getting plenty of
      opportunities, we've just got to stick with it.

      Right now, the Grizzlies are looking for any help.
      "We're going through a real dry spell right now," continued
      Hay. "Guys who have a history of scoring goals are snake-bit."

      Bridgeport tied the game at the 18:50 mark when Justin Mapletoft,
      camped in front of the net, deflected the puck pass Bacashihua.
      "[Bacashihua] played really well in the second and third periods,"
      said Hay. "He made some real good saves for us. He did everything he
      could for us but score a goal."

      Tiger goalie Wade Dubielewicz was just as sure-handed, stopping 29
      of 30 shots.

      Yet, the Grizzlies scored first.

      Utah's first-period goal came during a short-handed situation and
      was the result of hard work. Mattias Tjarnqvist, who scored the goal,
      stole the puck during a scramble along the boards. He fed Justin Cox,
      who crashed the middle slot on the break. Cox missed and Dubielewicz
      blocked Bubba Berenzweig's rebound shot.

      However, Tjarnqvist, still working, hustled to the net to clean up
      the puck and score the goal, his second of the year.

      Bridgeport hit the post early in the second period, but it was one
      of the few shots Bacashihua didn't get a glove or a stick on. He
      continually saved the Grizzlies as the Tigers took 13 shots in the
      period, most of them at close range.

      By the third period, Utah retreated into a defensive shell, taking
      only two shots on goal, while the Tigers fired 14.

      "The guys are wanting to win so bad, they get a little bit tight
      and stop making plays," said Hay. "We need to learn to make plays in
      tight games.

      "We've just got to keep working hard. Maybe we'll get [a goal] off
      a shin pad, rear end or helmet."

      Briefly

      Utah is off until Friday, when the Grizzlies have a stretch of
      three straight games beginning Friday in the E Center against
      Houston. In the final minute of Friday's game with Bridgeport, the
      Grizzlies snapped an 0-41 streak on the power play. Utah has as many
      short-handed goals (2) as power-play goals.

      Sound Tigers 2,
      Grizzlies 1

      Bridgeport 0 0 1 1 -- 2
      Utah 1 0 0 0 -- 1
      First Period -- 1, Utah, Tjarnqvist (sh) 2 (Berenzweig, Cox),
      4:29. Penalties -- Utah, Jancevski (High Sticking), 3:27; Utah,
      Verbeek (Slashing), 8:36; Bridge, Mapletoft (Hooking), 10:02; Utah,
      Valicevic (Slashing), 10:21; Bridge, Smith (Slashing), 16:20;
      Second Period -- No goals. Penalties -- No penalties.
      Third Period -- 1, Bridge, Mapletoft 4 (MacLean, Down), 18:50.
      Penalties -- Utah, Skalde (High Sticking), 1:38; Utah, MacMillan
      (Holding), 4:35; Bridge, Collins (Tripping), 16:03.
      Overtime -- 2, Bridge, Kraft (Letang), :30.
      Shots on goal: Bridgeport 5-13-14-1-33; Utah 14-14-2-0-30. Power
      play opp.: Bridgeport 0-0; Utah 0-0. Goalies: Bridgeport -
      Dubielewicz (2-2-0-0), Utah - Bacashihua (0-3-1-1). Saves --
      Dubielewicz 29-30; Bacashihua 31-33. A -- 4,183.
      Tigers 2,
      Grizz 1 (OT)
      **************************************
      http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,525035247,00.html

      Punchless Grizzlies lose again to Tigers

      By Linda Hamilton
      Deseret Morning News

      WEST VALLEY CITY â€" After not allowing a score for 58 minutes
      and 50 seconds, the Utah Grizzlies were hit with two Bridgeport goals
      in a minute and 40 seconds and fell for the second-straight night to
      the Sound Tigers on E Center ice, 2-1, Saturday before 4,183.

      Such is life for a team without much firepower.

      Having to defend a 1-0 lead for so long took a toll by the
      third period, and it would have been a lot easier if the Grizzlies
      had some firepower. But even those who have a history of scoring
      well, said coach Don Hay, are "snakebit" lately.

      "It"s a concern," he admitted about having the league's lowest
      scoring output, 16 goals in 10 games.

      "Some teams aren't gifted at scoring goals. It's not like in
      football where you can draw up a play. You gain opportunities. That's
      the positive thing. We're getting lots of opportunities and sticking
      with it.

      "If there's ways (to foster scoring), we'd certainly be trying
      them out," Hay said.

      "You just have to keep working, and hopefully one will go in
      off your shinpad or your rear end or your helmet.

      "We've just got to learn to make plays in a tight game and win
      a game 1-0. These are all learning games. It's disappointing we can't
      find a way to win."

      Utah is now 2-6-1-1, and Bridgeport moved to 4-3-2-1 and 3-1-1
      on the road. Both teams are off until next weekend.

      "We played hard, but they just kept coming at us and coming at
      us. We played too much in our own end in the third period," said
      Hay. "All the guys gave a real good effort, and we just ran out of
      gas. We stopped getting shots. When you get shots, you're going to
      play in their end. The third period, (Bridgeport) kept pushing ahead,
      and they never quit."

      The Grizzlies nursed a 1-0 lead for about 54 minutes behind
      strong goaltending from Jason Bacashihua, who missed a start in the
      usual two-goalie rotation and came back strong.

      Then disaster struck when Bridgeport's leading scorer, Justin
      Mapletoft, tipped one in from right on his doorstep to tie the game
      after quite a tussle with Utah defenseman Jeff MacMillan. That got
      the Sound Tigers into overtime, and 30 seconds after the puck drop,
      Bridgeport's Ryan Kraft let fly on a rush up the right wing from the
      top of the circle, and that ripped in for the game-winner.

      The Grizzlies found a way to offset their power-play
      deficiencies.

      Mattias Tjarnqvist intercepted a puck in the Sound Tigers'
      offensive zone during a penalty killing shift, skated up-ice with it,
      fed Justin Cox and then scored after the rebound of Cox's shot for
      Utah"s second short-handed goal of the season.

      Utah has two short-handed goals this season in 45 chances and
      has two power-play goals on 63 chances.

      You be the judge. Take the penalty?

      It didn't matter much in the second period. Referee Harry Dumas
      didn't whistle either team for an infraction and in fact went nearly
      26 minutes, from 16:20 of the first period until 1:38 of the third,
      without calling a penalty.
      http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,1918,96%257E3761%257E,00.html

      Ct Post: Sound Tigers Coverage. N/A this hour or no article